Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been thinking about adding a '94-'96 Fleetwood to the fleet, so I've been lurking in the background for the past few months trying to get educated on what to look for and what not to do. Lucky for me, Sal was in the throes of purchasing his Fleetwood when I started thinking about it, so he and others had pretty much already asked every question I have had up to now. There are some sweet-looking Fleetwoods on here, so you guys have managed to get my appetite pretty whetted.

I still haven't found the right one as yet. But, on a couple I've looked at I've noticed that, on the beltline trim on the rear fender, the chrome-like tape has puckered and wrinkled up. In both cases, the trim on the doors and front fender look fine.

Is the rear fender trim finished differently from the other pieces? I've seen the chrome tape in the auto parts store; is it hard to sand off or peel off the old tape and replace? Is there anything one can do to preserve the trim if it's okay?

Just wondering...
Andy

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
My grandparents 95 FW is the same way..... Garaged its whole life and has 36k...... Their getting 4 new parts (FR, RR, FL, RL), so I guess its common.... The middle ones (on the door) dont seem to be as bad......

Welcome to cadillacfourms.... thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Elvis noticed this on the Fleetwood he test drove about a month ago. The car was in almost perfect shape otherwise. The replacement pieces are not hard to come by though.

(excuse me for speaking in the third person, I just read one of Hollywood's posts and I couldn't quit.)

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Eldo1953 has noticed this on numerous occasions as well.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Snipes will report on how much these pieces cost including dealer labor, as they are being installed on the FW on tuesday!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!! Both the Fleetwoods I've looked at have been relatively well worn, so I thought it might be a function of exposure, especially since it's so hot and humid here. But, that must not be the case.

·
Registered
'05 V
110 Posts
Both my front and rears needed to be replaced and like noted already the doors were in perfect condition. This stuff is quite interesting because it's a plastic base but the "chrome" which you would assume is just plastic as well is actually metal. I can verify this because I actually cut myself with it when I was breaking a piece in half. Too bad they can't make it stick a little better though. I'm not too sure about the heat exposure theory even though that was one of my first thoughts. My '95 has lived it's whole life on Vancouver Island which is on the west coast of Canada and we have a pretty mild climate, no real big temp swings + or -. The car did make one or two trips to Mexico though so who knows.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I haven't seen any consistency WRT which pieces start showing the wear, either. On the Fleetwood I looked at, it was only the left front piece.

All the reports about the back pieces going first would lead me to believe that the car spent its life in a 3-sided carport. But that theory goes out the window with the one I looked at.

It's a puzzlement.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Obviously the door ones and the other ones are made of a different material.....

Im getting the old trim pieces, so Ill see what I can do with them......

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
The parts for this are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Go ahead and plan on replacing them about every 5 years no matter where you park your car. It just doesn't seem to matter how well you take care of the car... these things just eventually fail.

The list.
Left front - 12529569
Right Front - 12529568

Left Rear - 12529571
Right Rear - 12529570

The whole set can be had for about $85. To replace them, first remove the bolts from behind the panels. Wait until you get the new parts so that you can see how each one is mounted. After the bolts are off, just pull the strips away from the mounting (double stick tape) strips. The moulding will be destroyed during this process... get over it ... you are done with them anyway. Now use a potable hair dryer and a plastic spoon to remove any remaining double stick tape. Trust me on the hair dryer here... it WILL help. This is also a good opportunity to remove any old wax residue as well.

To install the new ones, peel off the backing from the tape and then stick them to the fender. Be careful to keep the moulding straight because you only get one chance to mount it. Then attach any bolts to the back of the fender panels and you are done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That doesn't sound too bad, even for my modest mechanical skills. It's good to know they're mounted with screws to help locate them. I had visions of trying to stick a new molding back on and having it be all wavy.

My dad had an '80 Buick Limited (which I think was a D-body since it had a longer wheelbase than the LeSabre) from 1980 to 1986. Towards the end, it developed the habit of shedding its side moldings in the driveway. Dad would find them on the ground when he'd come out in the morning. He had a big tube of 3M trim adhesive and would keep remounting them. The weird part was that we never saw them flopping in the breeze. One day they'd be on, the next day they'd be on the ground. At least they never shed while he was driving...

Recalling that, I'd noticed that the moldings on all the Fleetwoods I'd seen seemed very well attached. I had figured that adhesive technology had improved, but I guess that they went back to using some screws, too.

As a postscript, the Buick was pretty mechanically reliable, but after 95k miles Pop decided to get a new car. We were sort of leery of the then-new FWD Electra, though, so, he bought an Audi 5000 on the theory that Audi had been doing FWD for years. Big mistake. It had tightly attached moldings but didn't spend six weeks out of the shop over the next five years. Plus, with 110 hp, it never exhibited any sudden acceleration, no matter how hard I tried to induce it.

Once again, thanks a bunch for the advice!

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts