Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Saturday the 6th of June, I had let my partner use my car to go to a birthday dinner with some friends. On their way home, the car was struck by a 16 year old girl texting on her cellphone while driving. She hit the V on the drivers side door at about a 15º angle traveling approximately 50 MPH from the opposite direction from which my partner was driving. He was traveling about 30 MPH. Luckily everyone was ok, with the worst injury being a scraped knee of the person sitting the the rear seat of my car.

OnStar was very helpful, and they had EMS, Fire, and Police on the scene with in 5 min of the accident. I had called to see where evey one was right as the accident had occurred, of course receiving no answer, when my partner finally called back, the EMS were already there.

When I arrived 15 min later, I was able to take some pictures of the car (see below), and talk with the sheriff on scene. The girl does have insurance, and was at fault. After checking that everyone was ok, I surveyed the car. Here are my findings.

The girls car came in contact with the Driver's door about 1/3 down from the front edge at a angle of about 15º. The car then continued down toward the rear of the car where it finally struck the rear wheel causing my car to start to spin. According to my partner, stabilitrack corrected the slide keeping the car from going in to oncoming traffic. The damage to the car is most likely enough for the insurance to total it. This is due to the damage to the lower frame rail, b pillar, rear suspension, and sub frame.

The car apparently adsorbed and deflected enough of the impact that it wasn't necessary for the side impact air bags to deploy. In fact much to my surprise and that of the sheriff, non of the glass was damaged, and the ultraview still worked. In fact my partner was able to drive the car from the center of the road to the curb with no problems, and the tow truck driver was able to load the car by just driving it on to the truck.

Tomorrow starts the long process of dealing with insurance companies, repair shops, and adjusters. I am generally planning for the next week to suck. I hope to have some more information soon, and will post back when I do.

I will say that while I am upset about the car being wrecked, and in my book totaled, I could care less, as long as everyone is ok. I can replace a hundred cars, but I can't replace one life. I am also glad that if that wreck had to happen it did so while they where in my car. If they had been in any of our other vehicles, things would have been much worse.

Well, here are the pics.... Enjoy if you will.

~ Matt.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
^^^ WOW!! That just hurts to look at, (especially since mine is also Raven)! :holycrap: Anyway, Matt, so glad nobody was seriously hurt, always a plus in a bad situation! Hope the ins. co. treats you right, and you will be able to replace the car sooner rather than later. Are you going to pick up another Black Raven, even if it's the pits to keep clean?

Rob

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Man, that's hard to look at. Glad everyone ended up okay. Your restraint is remarkable, but at the end of the day you're absolutely right--the car is just a material thing that can be replaced, but a life is lost forever. Good luck--I hope the insurers do right by you.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob, I was debating that last night an earlier today. I was deciding between Black Raven, or White Diamond. I really like both colors a lot, but if the car is totaled I think I am going to get a 2010 Black/Lt Grey, with Recaros, Nav, Roof, Suede, Comp Pack, and Wood Trim. The only downside is that I will have to order it, and wait for them to start production. As for keeping the car clean... I swear if you breath on it, its dirty. I don't think I have seen a black so black, since I saw an old 56' caddy that had a fresh coat of black lacquer on it. Honestly, I have given up on keeping it spotless, I was spending more time cleaning it than driving it.

~ Matt.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Damn texting.........

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Matt,

Really sorry to see this but am really glad that no one was hurt.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
a) I am so glad that no one was hurt seriously in the accident.
b) It comforts me to know that if I'm in a similar accident, my V will take care of me, my wife, and my 3-year-old boy.
c) That 16-year-old should not be allowed to drive for a year or two given texting while driving, a BAD move. She should obviously be punished in some way. Perhaps that will point out the error of her ways.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as shaken up as she was, I think she got the wake up call. No pun intended. While it my not punish her directly, I am sure the premiums on their insurance will be going up a bit, when the company finds out that a 16 year old girl hit a $70K car because she was texting.

BTW, thanks everyone for the good wishes.

~ Matt.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
98 Posts
My V is exactly the same color , and if it were my car that got wrecked by a 16 year old texting while driving , I would have smashed her cellphone and and hope that IDIOT would be banned from driving for life !!!
Idiot teenagers need to learn to respect other drivers on the road , this was NOT an accident , this could have been avoided completely had she been driving properly:thepan: .

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,003 Posts
While very painful to look at, it's very reassuring to see how safe these cars really are. Cars are replaceable; people are not. Hope the whole process goes as painlessly as possible. Good luck!

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
So sorry to see that happen. Hope the girl was ok too. Our V's are mighty heavy and while they protect us, they can also hurt others.
I hope they total it for you. With frame damage, a car is never the same. I know from experience. And it's just a car. Nobody was hurt.
My brother hid a kid on a bicycle when she was crossing the road unexpectactly. Was not his fault, but be was devistated, she died. Just be grateful nobody got hurt.

Hans.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hans,

What you say about our V's being heavy and the impact that can have on others is very true. The girl was ok, really shaken up, but ok. Her car on the other hand, a 2000 Chevy Prizm, was a mess. I am grateful that she didn't cross in to the lane earlier and causing a head on collision. I would have hated to see what that would have done to her and her car. I know the V would have fared better of the two, but that is only of little comfort when you have a offset head on collision. I am sorry to hear that your brother had to go through that. I can't imagine what it would be like to take someones life, and one so young, even if you are not at fault. While no where near the same, I lost a really close friend just 3 months out of high school due to an un-experienced driver. So, I am more than aware just how much damage can be done by a car accident. Like I said, in the end I could care less about the car, no one got hurt, that is the MOST important thing.

To Cadyshak:

As defined by Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Accident:
Literally, a befalling; an event that takes place without one's foresight or expectation; an undesigned, sudden, and unexpected event; chance; contingency; often, an undesigned and unforeseen occurrence of an afflictive or unfortunate character; a casualty; a mishap; as, to die by an accident.

I would highly doubt she intended, had fore seen, or expected her actions to have the consequence they did. While she made a poor, and yes stupid, choice that could have cost not only her but multiple people their lives; she didn't intend for this to happen. I do understand you rage, as I am more of a fighter by nature; but in my few short years of life, I have realized that escalating a situation un-necessarily solves nothing and ends up putting you risk. I also am young enough to remember making some stupid mistakes of my own. I was lucky enough that when stupidity reared its head I was alone and no one got hurt. I feel this is true for about 99.9999% of the population. I do feel sometimes that I am in the 50% that actually learned from their mistakes. I tend to doubt you are in the .0001% that never did anything stupid at some point of your life that had a possibility of causing harm to someone else. I don't mean to chastise you, but lets be fair here...

~ Matt.

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
Glad everyone is OK. GM should be commended for the safety of the passengers in a modern
vehicle. It looks to me like it will be repaired. Takes a lot to total a $70,000 car today!

I like your attitude about the whole situation Matt.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977
210 Posts
Good thing she was operating a Prizm and not a Suburban. My local Cadi dealer (Duplessis Cadillac) just received two new Black Raven V's with auto's, if your interested.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,741 Posts
The car should be ok. Mass produced cars like the CTS you'll be back on the road by the end of summer. :) if the doors open and close ok and there is no buckling in the roof it should be ok.

Better to get her focused on driving now with a minor crash than like you said a head-on one.

Norm

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
Having been involved in a serious accident with a nearly brand new car, I can say that the insurence company most likely will not total this car. As long as the cost to repair the vehicle is less than 75% of the "actual cash value" of the car, they are going to fix it, not replace it. My $44k Lexus was hit on the side and cost 28k to fix. I had to replace one door, suspension sub assembly, air bags, etc. Also because the car is less than one year old the ins. co. Will not use book value to determine value of the car but a formula based on sticker price for a new one and depreciation based on mileage. Sorry for your loss but I thought you should not expect a new car so soon.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That car is not even close to totaled.
Sorry to hear about this incident.
It is too bad that it happened, I am glad no one in here posting ever made a mistake when they were 16 years old.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Glad everyone is OK.

I like your attitude about the whole situation Matt.
:yeah:

Sorry about your car, I just got mine back from the shop from a guy that hit me who wasn't paying attention either. You're showing an understanding and compassion not normally found in most folks even twice your age. Please try and hold on to it. Most of us did some pretty stupid stuff in our early years of driving, Like you I was fortunate not to involve anyone else in my moments of stupidity, but I did have them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts