Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 SDV; 92 Corvette; 95 Deville; 06 Town Car; 15 Sienna
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am continuously looking for storage solutions so that I can store and expand my collection. All I've done so far is expensive storage facilities and private homes in the neighbourhood... but they have their drawbacks.

But just today I was thinking... OUTDOOR storage space is dirt cheap. So what if I bought myself a couple 10x40 shipping containers and stuck them on some nearby landowner's lot? Each could fit a couple nice GM full-size cars and I'd be all set!

Anyone store their car in one of these? Questions:

-I'm in Ontario Canada and had trouble with high humidity in a storage facility. Can you get them vented so they don't get too damp inside?

-What does a good container cost to buy? New? Used?

-Can you easily get yourself in/out of a full-size GM when the container's only 10 ft wide?

Any other tips would be appreciated I don't know anything about these things.

·
Registered
1991 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L V8
613 Posts
I dunno....in theory it sounds like it could be a good idea...and I'd think they'd be watertight, being shipping containers.

Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Hamilton...stored mine in an indoor storage place up on highway 6 outside of Caledonia for $225.00 over the winter. The term was 6 months, but I didn't leave it there that long....seemed pretty reasonable...of course I didn't have four cars to store.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
This is something I have concidered also. The containers are dirt cheap as there are more imports than exports. I get the sense it would be difficult to get out of the vehicle once you drove it into the container especially with a Coupe with the wide doors, but it is done all the time with overseas shipping. Perhaps they use skinny teenagers to drive them in/out. I'd have to get a crane so I could stack them.
As far as moisture goes, you could get a fan that ran off a voltaic cell to move the air around.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
you could just buy a plot of land and build a huge garage! ;)

seriously, though...you can probably make due with a shipping container. It would be pretty interesting to see.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys.

A while back someone offered to rent me one... it was a little far away so I declined. Interestingly it had wooden floors. You guys suppose that because it was an older one, or are some of them just made that way? Seemed like a better solution for humidity to have a wooden floor.

Like you said deville33 one would expect these are dirt cheap. A quick ebay search they seem to be worth around $2K. If you had a nice one chances are you could re-sell it someday and get a good portion of the money back.

Outsider... yes once I could afford to buy land and build a big garage I'd sell off the containers! Or maybe just use them for parts...

What about snow? Those babies must be strong enough to hold any accumulation right? Venting would have to be at the sides.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I have parked my Cadillac in storage units that were nine feet wide and 10 feet wide and I could get out of my Sedan deVille in both size garages. A Coupe deVille may be a little challenging...but probably doable. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts
You can find them in Ontario, delivered for MUCH less than 2k.

Yes, they are watertight. VERY tough. Think about it. These things are designed to be stacked 15 high, FULL, on the deck of a rolling ship, crossing from China to North America. Sitting in your backyard is like early retirement. There isn't enough snow anywhere to collapse one. The floors are wood just like a transport truck.

If you put two side by side, you can cut out the walls between them and have a big garage ;)

Keep us posted, mharker. I might have to pick one up, too. I recently was down through Cornwall on the seaway, and there was a place that sold them. They had probably 100 on the lot. Might be worth looking up...

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I could do some snooping in the area if anyone is interested in one. I see the HUGE container ships come in and out of Tampa Bay nearly every time I drive over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge so I know the containers are here in big numbers.

I can only imagine what my neighbors would say if I hauled in one of those and parked my car in it. :) I would need to have an architect, designer, and landscaper do a makeover on that crate before I could even imagine getting away with one of those out here where I live. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac 86 f/wood brougham 307, 77 f/wood
155 Posts
BE CAREFUL. They work well as far as storage goes but because of their waterproofing ability, they are prone to sweat.
I am looking at storing one of my caddys in a container but drilling/cutting holes in the top of the sides and then shrouding those holes to prevent water ingress.
mike

·
Registered
1974 Cadillac Hearse 472
496 Posts
they sell them all the time here for 700-1k but they rust fast and sitting on the ground they rot within 5 years and are worthless. As for the humidity once the door is closed none gets in none gets out. Well till the steel floor rusts away. We used them for storage for a long time.

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
I've seen it done! Both my Grandfather and Mother (The Mother that raised me, not the one that gave birth to me) have done this.

My Grandfather eventually opted to just own many acres and had enough cars sitting around that he rivaled most parts yards and my Mum just did it temporarily as she had a series of steel hangars built. Depending on how many you were planning to store, I'd look into how much one of those prefabricated steel hangar gizmos is, or even one of those prefabricated barns you can find at some home improvement stores. I can personally state that I have fit MY car into one of those.

When I get a better place to live I want enough land to have contained storage for my car (and other nonsense I'd be working on now if I had the storage)

...I suppose I can always buy a Triumph and store it in the back of my Cadillac...

They are not uncommon down here and usually sell for less than $2,000. I have even come across ABANDONED ones in the middle of the woods, surrounded by overgrowth of palms and vines (with VELOCIRAPTORS inside?) along with a number of those gigantic, cylindrical steel tanks, just rusting away in the FL sunlight, which in conjunction with the air and rain, is bane and cancer to all abandoned metal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
shipping containers are just that .waterproof design and for trips around the world of maybe 60 days .The goods are then removed .If you have moisture in them to start with , and close them up ,the moisture remains .If you wish to store something for a long time
1. if you can ,ensure container and goods are dry
2.Use a dehumidifier for a week.
lock it up and you are good to go.
mike

ps I built a home for an architect from 3x 40 ft containers ,one on top of the other. Quite apart from huge external bracing (earthquake and wind loadings)we did a lot of work on air flows cos they are not designed to flow air.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They are not uncommon down here and usually sell for less than $2,000. I have even come across ABANDONED ones in the middle of the woods, surrounded by overgrowth of palms and vines (with VELOCIRAPTORS inside?) along with a number of those gigantic, cylindrical steel tanks, just rusting away in the FL sunlight, which in conjunction with the air and rain, is bane and cancer to all abandoned metal.[/QUOTE]

What the hell is a velociraptor ??

You know there are thousands of these things floating around in the shipping lanes .Would hate to hit one in anything but a ship

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Just googled velociraptor .DULLAHAN , you wanna stay off that stuff. It`s getting to you
I'm not on ANY stuff (Maybe THAT'S the problem?)

Hey, I never saw plants like this and all I could think of when I moved here was how alien and strange it was. Then I realized I had seen plants like this before, but only on The Discovery Channel or in poorly written films about dinosaurs or aliens with cloaking powers.

In all seriousness, they are not uncommon (crates, not monsters) and I have seen cars stored in them before. However, since they are not MEANT for storing items for long periods of time, dehumidification (new word) would be your best bet. If it was successful, you would have a rodent free, moisture free, disturbance free, sealed container for your Cadillac. I wonder if there is a [practical] way of removing the AIR from the container...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen it done! Both my Grandfather and Mother (The Mother that raised me, not the one that gave birth to me) have done this.
So how did their cars fare? Any problems with moisture or rust?

I appreciate all the info guys. Perhaps the strategy is to find a place that sells lots of them... and ask if they can find or modify one with ventilation. If they are storage people they must have some ideas.

QUESTION: What can one do to prevent the bottom rotting?

Then... I'll post to Craigslist to see if anyone in my neighbourhood will take $500/year for me to park them. Then I'd be all set!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,691 Posts
Holy crap some of those container ship pictures are crazy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts