Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/4961588344.html
Ok, i examined this Fleetwood a few hours ago. I need a parts car for my 81, and this car seems like the perfect candidate.
NO rust
ALL chrome excellent
SUNROOF that works a bit slow, but properly and no leaks
No damage to body or doors, dent-free
Pull down works
Tires nice
All Windows and accesories work
Interior is actually nice, seats and armrests work. Blue.

I don't care about the 307. the transmission is about to give up and shred. Fillers are crap, which is what i was hoping i could recycle. The owner seems a bit careless about it, and a bit young with no experience with these beauties. All in all, I offered the guy $300, he said no, now I'm on my couch wondering if i should have stacked another $100 onto my offer. That's a rust-free, 87 Fleetwood that i can drive away and dissect for my beloved 81 Fleetwood. So, having 200k on it, i believe it had extremely bad maintenance over its life span. poor thing. Now, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? I refuse to give up $500, and $400 feels like too much.

Cheers
Noé

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Is it really worth $100 to NOT have it? Everything you want is there, in one package, ready to go. You would spend $100 in shipping to have all the parts you want delivered to you. Is that $100 really going to make a difference?
Jeff

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you pay $500?

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/4961588344.html

Rust-free
No dents or damage, straight
Interior nice, normal wear
Astroroof
Tires nice
chrome excellent
No electrical issues, all ok
Pull-down works
Even facorty security system works

Well, i believe this is the perfect car I've been hunting for. It has everything i need to build my 81, which has patiently waited for all sorts off small things. Anyway, the transmission is about to shred. The 307 is tired, and visually the Cadillac has been neglected in the maintenance deparment. I offered $300, he said no. Should i be feeling guilty? Maybe $400? I'm stuck there. $500 is just too much. Fillers are useless, by the way. On a positive note, this is a straight , rust-free Fleetwood that i can drive home. Now, I'm off to chill a Modelo.

Cheers
Noé

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn it. i accidentally made another thread, administration, please kindly remove the one:).
Thank you!

I'm calling the owner tomorrow.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Re: Would you pay $500?

The four wheels on there are aluminum if it is from the factory with wire covers.
If you run standard wheels on your 81 you could swap those to reduce un-sprung weight.
Not a huge consideration, but an added bonus if it tips the scales for you.
If you don't want to use them, reselling them should bring some money.
Even scrap aluminum value might be close to the difference you are off with him.
If you can use parts and part out the rest, no brainer. What can you get for $500?
Take a magnet with to check wheels.

I had to hunt and have a parts puller from Row 52 pull and ship one for me when I wanted to rotate 5 and have a full size spare.
The guy thought I was nuts, but when he checked they were aluminum!:lol:
He probably is going to all Pull-a-Part's and recycling them now!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Oh sure....all the cool kids are down here discussing it and I'm stuck all alone answering in the other thread....:(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, a sip of your cocktail, and BAM, now you're here. I apologize.:) so, would you roll in it or chop it Dave?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
You know I would be cutting out that slider......I luvs me a slider!:D

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
I would not count on being able to drive that car very far. Sounds like the guy just ran it into the ground.

Depending on what parts you need and whether you have time and energy to ship parts, money could be made selling some small parts.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
Re: Would you pay $500?

$500 is a good price especially if the bumpers are nice. I paid $500 for my 91 parts car just because I wanted the bumper. I've since sold parts off it to make up some of that cost.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
I'll merge them so we don't lose responses.

If I needed a parts car, I'd give 500 for it all day long. It will scrap at $200 when you're done with it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, jay!

I just offered $400, guy wants $450. I'm waiting and it sucks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$425, The chump states. he can keep it. i was really wanting the fillers, chrome, and the wish to have an authentic Astroroof put on my 81. All else in the car i would have no use for. I need OG amber lenses, these are different after 82 i think. There's not enough demand for these cars locally, or else i would buy it NOW. I'm basically going to send about75 % of it to the scrappers. My interior is excellent, and the 81 is straight. The 81 has rust on the pillar near the top driver's side corner. I imagined cutting off the top, sunroof and all fronm this 1987. and grafting it onto the 8, therefore solving the rust, using the 87s nicer windshield and then go get it painted. For that thought, its the "measure twice, cut ONCE" ordeal for this to work.
I can live without a sunroof, just not rust. If the engine was in better health , THAT i could sell to the Cutlass/Regal crowd easily. It sounds like a bottom-end tick, probably due to it running low on oil and taking turns at the same time. Axle is useless, as my 500 will shred it. I understand some of you would jump at it, but guys it needs a lot of work.
$400. Im waiting for a yes, i doubt ANYONE offered that amount.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
I didn't realize that was all you needed on the car. Pass on it, you can get fillers for less. Put the extra money towards your bodywork. A roof swap is serious surgery.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To confirm the demand, this is what ive paid for all Cadillacs I've owned:

83 Fleetwood d elegance-$250
81 Fleetwood d elegance-$350
89 Brougham-$600
93 Deville-$300
95 Fleetwood Brougham-$1700
Am i cheap? Nope. That just shows how Cadillacs are not in demand around here.
Yes Jay, my 81 is very complete. What's bad is the chrome and trim, fillers, that damn rust, and minor bodywork. IT IS a very good start to a keeper, though. I would drop a 455, th400, 112 bolt, and original spokes with vogues, repaint og color........
Not going that route either. I wish one of you dudes would rescue it.
For now i wait for the "[email protected]$& it, come get it" call. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts