Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS w/ Luxury PKG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've used the search function a TON the past few days about this, so before I order, I just wanted to run it by everyone one last time.

I plan on purchasing the Apexcone/DDM Ultra Slim 35w and 55w HID Conversion Kit from SharpHID.com (site vendor)

Specifically, I plan on ordering this:
Race Series 55w - $110
Bulb Type: 9006/HB4
Temperature: Either 4300K or 5000K (i haven't decided yet)

My questions are:

1) Should I go for the slightly cheaper 35w kit instead?

2) I know SharpHID is a site vendor so it's always preferred to buy from him... but does anyone have any recommendations from other companies, that will yield same quality at a cheaper price?

3) My other vehicle has stock 4300K HIDs... so i'm fine with getting 4300K for this conversion kit... BUT... for those of you with 5000K... do you find that it gives off more light?

4) Do I need the HID Battery Wiring Harness as well? It's another $25 :(.

5) Where exactly does the ballast go? Outside the headlight housing somewhere? Or do I have to open up the headlights (put them in a conventional oven etc???)

Thank you all in advance!

PS: I am not looking forward to removing the bumper lol. I know I can go through the fuse box / air box but I think i'm ready for the bumper challenge.

·
Registered
Cadillac
630 Posts
VVME,
yes you need a complete kit.
Ballasts goes anywhere where it fits without rattling or over heating.

·
Registered
2006 CTS w/ Luxury PKG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I googled VVME, and wow, their kits are SO much cheaper!

One question:

Do the VVME kits already come with the wiring harness? From the description it looks like it, but not from the pictures.

In other words:

SharpHID = $110 Kit + $25 Harness
VVME = $36.99 Kit (And has harness included?)

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
1.) 35w kit will be fine. I wouldn't bother going 55w.

2.) VVME is good, and I've also used http://autoxsport.com/ which have been somewhat cheap and very reliable.

3.) Technically, the higher the number the lower the light output, BUT I would go for the 5,000K or 6,000K kits because it will match and LED's (if you decide to put them in) way better and your car will look more unique, minus the ricer effect of getting blue 8,000K. All my opinion, go with what YOU want!

4.) You do NOT need the battery harness!

5.) No need to open up the headlights, simply mount the ballast under the headlight housing (you'll see a spot for it when you take out the headlight) and there will be plenty of room.

Don't sweat the bumper removal. Once you do it, it becomes very simple. And you'll have much easier access to where you need to work. I may suggest drilling a 1 inch hole in the center of the dust cap so you can feed the wires from the ballast through while keeping an air-tight seal. (these kits come with rubber seals which usually fit PERFECTLY with a 1" hole.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
I have not had any trouble with my HID's from VVME....(knocking on wood). Had some shipping issues, they mixed my order with another buyers. Do not expect a straight answer if you DO have problems. The HID's are allot BRIGHTER than their customer service. The other buyer and I just covered shipping between ourselves. We could not make them understand what they did wrong.
Overall, it seems like a huge task, but it really is no big deal. I went with the 6000's to match the led's.
Good luck and be sure to post photos

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
4300k to 5000k there will be a negligible difference in luminous light output and color. You wouldn't be able to see much of a difference, if any at all.

THe 35 watt kits available will have much more light output then your factory lamps. There's no NEED for 55W kits, simply more power and somewhat more output.

As said above, you don't need any battery harness. Plug and play kits should work fine with your factory harness. A 35W kit will function well within the operating specs of your factory harness.

And +1 on the pics after install. :D

·
Registered
Cadillac
630 Posts
Don't sweat the bumper removal. Once you do it, it becomes very simple. And you'll have much easier access to where you need to work. I may suggest drilling a 1 inch hole in the center of the dust cap so you can feed the wires from the ballast through while keeping an air-tight seal.
+1 on that.

·
Registered
2006 CTS w/ Luxury PKG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you guys suggest I use to drill the 1" hole? And by 1" hole, you mean 1" in diameter right?

Also, I read a TON of threads about VVME last night.

Josney.. i am quite surprised you still recommend them after the ordeal you went through? Your thread was an eye opener for me, and then slowly I realized more and more people on these forums had problems with VVME.

Honestly, I was going to NOT order from them after all the BS I read regarding their customer service....

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6
4 Posts
DDMtuning
I have 55w 6k slim in the projectors of my GTO and 35w 6K slims in the fogs. I did add the wire harness for the 55w kit just to be safe, I did not want to stress the factory wires, but I did not HAVE to install it. DDMtuning offers a lifetime warranty on their slims and APEXCONE kits, I did have a problem with one of the 55w ballasts and one of the 35w bulbs, both times their C/S replaced the parts free, just cost me shipping($10). I would post pics, but my post count is too low. I will be installing kits on the wifes CTS soon, might try without removing the bumper. OH Yea, the 55w kits are about 40% brighters than the 35w, the bulbs are the same, it is the ballast that determines the wattage. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
What do you guys suggest I use to drill the 1" hole? And by 1" hole, you mean 1" in diameter right?

Also, I read a TON of threads about VVME last night.

Josney.. i am quite surprised you still recommend them after the ordeal you went through? Your thread was an eye opener for me, and then slowly I realized more and more people on these forums had problems with VVME.

Honestly, I was going to NOT order from them after all the BS I read regarding their customer service....
Yes, 1 inch in diameter. Just use a 1 inch hole saw with your drill...piece of cake.

as far as recommending VVME. There have been a bunch of members that have have no problems with their orders. Mine was a nightmare. You have to make the final say-so. I did some reading before I purchased and you know there is always someone or something wrong. Maybe they were just going through a "funk" at the time of my purchase. As far as the product, they have been perfect...still knocking on wood. Whatever brand you buy, you will love them and look back at those ugly ass lights before and just laugh.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
as far as recommending VVME. There have been a bunch of members that have have no problems with their orders. Mine was a nightmare. You have to make the final say-so. I did some reading before I purchased and you know there is always someone or something wrong. Maybe they were just going through a "funk" at the time of my purchase. As far as the product, they have been perfect...still knocking on wood. Whatever brand you buy, you will love them and look back at those ugly ass lights before and just laugh.
Every business will screw up from time to time. What separates the putz from the good is how they handle suchj situations. IVe had nothing but good esxperiences with them. That said, a company that hesitates to make things right, even if they dont understand the problem, is likely to not get my business anymore.

Rolex, 55w are not neccessary most of the time. IF you spend any time on back roads, or in poor towns that dont light their roads properly, while having high banks that moose like to run down, then 55w might be for you. :) I think Ive mentioned before about accidents IVe seen/been involved in/know about with moose. Scary beasts.

Just never use 55w in traffic. Ive only used 55watters in the highbeams. My hi's get turned off when traffic approaches anyhow... I never use FTP anymore, either...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts