Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 seville with 148,xxx miles.

The car was sitting for some time not completely sure but the car was filty with build up on the outside when I got it.I have read about wot with north stars or any motor in particular,but what about high mialage motors in my case.

So far I have changed the oil and done a tranny survice on it.Is doing wot with a 4.9 good and safe.I dont want to brake anything and that is my main consern.:banghead:

If I can do it what would I let her red line at and will she shift on her own or do I shift her back into drive.:cookoo:

thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: WOT with a high mialage 4.9?

WOT is a recommended procedure that is specific only to the Northstar. If you do it with a 4.9, you get a modest rush...but you can't claim to be doing it as a recommended practice. Sorry. And nobody ever claimed that the 4.9 will take anywhere near the thrashing that a northstar will.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well I dont know about that but what I need to know is is anyone on here does wot with a 4.9.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Yeah I do them with my 4.9 occasionally, its not as necessary as it is on the N*, but its still fun and beneficial!

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts

Why yes, it's extremely beneficial. You get to hear what real American power sounds like! If going WOT on a high mileage 4.9 was harmful, my car would be long dead, I've got 193k on the clock and I regularly do 0 to 60-70mph full throttle runs, for fun. On a closed track of course ;)

So if you break anything, it was probably on the way out anyway.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts

ah first up....

148k on a 4.9 is NOT "high mileage" :)

then, WOT is always a good idea :) I open the 4.9 up often.

If something is going to break when flooring it for a bit, it was gonna break in the next 100 miles anyway.

If the car has been sitting, clean the throttle body.... do a search on the forum for rodding out the throttle body... it'll help alot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well I guess then I will try this how far do you guys red line ( particurly you Ghost C).

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Now another question, is it really that bad to burnout? I cant imagine thats good for anything except for lots of smoke.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts

I wouldn't Neutral Bomb the tranny, good way to break something. I'd just find yourself a nice open road with a relatively high speed limit and open're up until you hit the speed limit, or double it, or triple it...But I don't condone that kind of stuff.

Edit: Also, yes, burning out in the dry without an LSD = Bad. Wet burnouts, oil assist on the tires, armor-all, etc, anything to make the tires have no friction will be ok every so often, but I wouldn't do it all the time, and I'm hard on my car.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts

Night Wolf said:
If something is going to break when flooring it for a bit, it was gonna break in the next 100 miles anyway.
Excellent point!

There's no reason to be paranoid about breaking anything as long as you've properly maintained the vehicle. You paid for the privelige of a torquey V8. FLOG IT.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,726 Posts

Except for maybe over-stressing an old motor mount that might be on it's way out, you shouldn't hurt anything.
I have 126k on my 4.9 and I give it a WOT once in a while. And it runs fine!

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
I WOT almost everyday. The only reason that I don't do it as often as I used to is due to the high cost of fuel.

Beat on her, but make sure she gets the proper fluids and care first.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
My 93 Deville, 4.9L has 298,000 miles on it. WOT every day doesn't hurt a thing. I had been doing it most every day for ten years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I tried to do it today got her up to 5.5 rpm amd chickend out.The check engine light came on ( I still did it though).Then let her slow her self down.The code was p039 a tranny code I think( I did just change the fluid and filter 10 min before doing it).I did say I changed it the day before but I only changed the fluid because the parts store sent the wrong filter and then said they were sending the other one(never showed, so I had my stepmom call back and they said they didnt have it and it was thirty min later)I had to go to work and had no choice so I put in the old filter.Changed it again today and added lucas and the light came on.It also came on the day I put the car on the road( before the tranny service).

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,257 Posts
whiteseville said:
Well I tried to do it today got her up to 5.5 rpm amd chickend out.The check engine light came on ( I still did it though).Then let her slow her self down.The code was p039 a tranny code I think( I did just change the fluid and filter 10 min before doing it).I did say I changed it the day before but I only changed the fluid because the parts store sent the wrong filter and then said they were sending the other one(never showed, so I had my stepmom call back and they said they didnt have it and it was thirty min later)I had to go to work and had no choice so I put in the old filter.Changed it again today and added lucas and the light came on.It also came on the day I put the car on the road( before the tranny service).
Looks like P039 (VCC lock up problem) is pretty common. How many of us had (have had) this code?

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
whiteseville said:
Just don't go too far past redline. On the '93 Seville with the 4.9 liter, the tach should show redline at around 5500 (if so equipped with a gauge), but should shift sooner than that (my '91 shifts at a standard 4900 RPM's), so just be careful with the redline.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
There is an empty road between my work and house. I have to get on it from the frontage road and as soon as I turn to get on that road, there is a bridge over the interstate. That is where I usually do my WOT. Maybe once a week or so.

By the way, I have never seen P039 on my car, although I have a transmission problem right now...

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
WOT daily. Haven't noticed any extra wear and tear yet, and I've been driving it for almost two years...

It's just nice to stomp on it and hear the exhaust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do a search for cadero+Fiero A Cadero is a Fiero with a Caddy motor. If you think we are putting the 4.9's in Fiero's to take it easy, ya need to take a second look at what we are doing.

4.9 V8 in a 2700 pound mid engine 2 seat car with a 5 speed trans axle.

WOT runs 0-60 in low 5 second passes, 100mph usually in around 13 seconds. But the great thing is the awesome low rpm torque of the 4.9 at 1500 rpms, with 245/50/16's on the back I can punch it and one of 2 things happens the rear tires go up in smoke or the car hunches down and launches to hard ya darn near get whiplash.

I have only heard of one person that blew a 4.9 up, and that was doing 6000+ rpm shifts nearly every day, running a serious amount of nitrous through it. He spun a bearing. It is unfortunately cheaper to toss the motor and get a replacement than it is to try and rebuild a 4.9. (replacement 4.9s are around $600 in my area)

Oh my only problems with WOT have nothing to do with the engine.

Blew a clutch in the first month, blew a tranny 2 months after I put in a new clutch, found that with a new race clutch, and big tires, I could put new mounts in it, take it out to the street punch it twice and then pull it back into the garage to replace both the mounts again. I ended up chaining the damn thing in place. LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow i never realized how tough the 4.9 really is!....im 18 and started driving it when i was 16... i'd WOT every other day or so....raced it some, and killed some civics. i stayed with a stock 92 5.0 mustang on the bottom end...that was fun! blew the tranny driving out of town last july, got that fixed. i thought with 128,983 miles the engine would surely go soon! but i guess i can still have fun with it from time to time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts