Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like head gasket issues are "when" and not "if" on these cars until they get rebuilt with the "Canadian head stud kit."

I love the styling, but don't really want to buy one for $5000-ish then spend that much for a head gasket repair.

There's a 2001 sls for sale locally without an engine for $1450. Another seller has 2001 seville 4.6 v8 engine for sale without the car for $750. No idea the history of the engine other than 108k miles on it.

Would it make sense to buy both of these, have the engine redone with the stud kit to prevent future head gasket issues? Any guess-timates on labor costs for this sort of thing? Seems like I'd be ahead half the "normal" labor since engine's already out.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
I think Jake sells engines that have already been studded.

Jake = 97EldoCoupe

I believe he is a supporting vendor for this site. Check out the banners on the right side of the page and on top. Look for the "Northstar Performance" ad.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
i personaly would not spend more then a 1000 for it weather it has a bad engine or no engine at all
its a paper weight if it was running with a bad engine it might be worth that 1450 because you could still have the old one to use for parts

also with a used engine you chances are the same with a car that has a good engine you could get the HG problem with that used engine you might not
if its already out have someone at the very lease time sirt it if you don't want to spend the money on the studs

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
motor is gone? so no alt, p/s, a/c, motor to trans brackets, motor mounts? where are you going to get these parts? donor car? find a car with all parts installed. very easy to find. hard to find a car with no body damage or no codes until you start car and see stability issues, theft issues, airbag issues. than add a few more $$ to fix those issues.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
There's no engine! I don't care how nice it is, it's a basket case.

Its a $300 parts car. It would be a stretch to get $600 out of it parting it out.

If not incomplete, it becomes very costly to locate parts that are missing from the puzzle.

There is still the chance of additional problems after the thing is pieced back together.

I would be wiser to buy complete with a known headgasket failure in its early stages that is complete & running well.

Only then would a 2001 be worth over $1000.

·
Registered
1999 STS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP - About what I expected to hear. Guess I'll pass. Logistics would add costs as well.

After reading more on the pretty much certain head gasket issues, I'm not sure I want this era of Cadillac at all.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I think Jake sells engines that have already been studded.

Jake = 97EldoCoupe

I believe he is a supporting vendor for this site. Check out the banners on the right side of the page and on top. Look for the "Northstar Performance" ad.
i think he was selling is used recondition engines for about 3k and new or remaned where around 4000 or something i forget but check out his website

Northstarperformance.com

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I paid $1200 for a 99STS with overheating issues and 130000 miles
Joe other then the overheating issues where there any other issues that arised i sumed you where able to drive it even with it overheating
so you could test it and see if anytihng els was going wrong

you also had the old engine and didnt have any parts Missing corect ?

so i guess 1300 would be a fiar price

but for one that has no engine to be able to be used to rebuild
so no core
and who knows what els may be wrong or need fixed its a paper weight so i think what he was thinking of paying is to mouch

·
Registered
2001 GMC SLT, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP
499 Posts
no way would i have paid $1200 for mine if the engine was not in it. I was just stating the fact that I paid $1200 for one that was overheating, they wanted $2000 but nobody would bite around here. It needs rotors and pads and the a/c was low but that is all getting fixed.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
ah cool cool

but the good thing is that it was jsut low ac not a compressor or antying major
also pads they wear after time we all know this
but tranny was good
all electrical was good thats whats important

EWB i think that if you are serious about this
i would offer them 1000 and thats only if you really seriously want it go to a junk yard get a bad engine with a Head gasket issue for probably like 150 bucks maybe 200 max just tell them you want a core aslong as the block is not cracked youll be happy

and get jakes stud kit and rebuild the engine and i think youll be happy with this car
but i dont care if it was a 2004 if it does not have an engine its not worth more than a 1000

the person selling this car is selling it for one reason probalby because they know it would cost them 4 or 5k to get it up and running

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
shop in town is selling core motor. bought non-running sts. said headgaskets had been done but car would not start. shop took out motor and stuck in used one. now was selling balky motor. make offer on motor. at least car is running and is gone now. funny how things work out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts