Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this bother anyone else?

The width of the A-pillars plus the placement of the side mirrors and the big black area behind the rear view mirror make for blind spots which hide approaching vehicles.

It's been well known by vehicle designers that thin A-pillars are a desirable safety feature, but it seems each generation gets wider.

I've been comparing the SRX with other vehicles I own and the wide variety I rent. Overall, the SRX has the thickest A-pillars and more blind spots than anything I've come across.

Your opinions and results may vary, but I find I have to consciously compensate when driving it. Just yesterday, my wife almost pulled out in front of an oncoming car, because its angle of approach was in line with the right pillar/mirror blind spot.

jack vines

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
Does this bother anyone else? - Sometimes - but over time I've subconscoiusly adapted and really don't notice any more. Rear quarter blind spots are worse.

It's been well known by vehicle designers that thin A-pillars are a desirable safety feature, but it seems each generation gets wider - Blame the regulators for this, they are the ones requiring air bags and roll-over integrity, neither of which can be done with thin pillars.

I've been comparing the SRX with other vehicles I own and the wide variety I rent. Overall, the SRX has the thickest A-pillars and more blind spots than anything I've come across. - Can't argue with that.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Performance SRX
93 Posts
Packardv8 agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I have adjusted to the blind spots but the front pillar is really bad. Need to be very cautious and my wife hates the blind spots. She used to drive a 2011 Equinox which is a similar vehicle but the front blind spots were not as bad as in the SRX. Each and every vehicle has their issues......hopefully the blind spots won't adversely cause us an issue down the road. Safe driving to all!

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
Does this bother anyone else?

The width of the A-pillars plus the placement of the side mirrors and the big black area behind the rear view mirror make for blind spots which hide approaching vehicles.

It's been well known by vehicle designers that thin A-pillars are a desirable safety feature, but it seems each generation gets wider.

I've been comparing the SRX with other vehicles I own and the wide variety I rent. Overall, the SRX has the thickest A-pillars and more blind spots than anything I've come across...
Safety of occupants (thick pillars) > safety of not occupants (thin pillars).

Yes, the vehicle has some larger than normal blind spots for its class (the Acura ZDX has worse, along with the BMW X6, though the X6 isn't really in the same 'class' as the SRX). It was built mostly with form rather than function in mind.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
264 Posts
I have never noticed this as being an issue. Guess I'm just used to thick "A" pillars. I'll have to compare my SRX to my other vehicles. Rear visibility is another matter.

Phil

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium, Red
158 Posts
Couldn't agree more. That's the main reason I wish I would have looked for a SRX with the driver awareness package. I almost hit 2 teenagers once while turning from a parking lot. Thank God I was driving slow. They were perfectly positioned in a spot where I could not see them. I since then have adjusted by leaning forward and back in the seat to look around that giant A pillar before I make a turn. I hope the engineers address this for the Gen 3 SRX.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
80 Posts
And that's why we have side blind spot detectors on our SRX's. They work like a charm.
--------------------
Hi - Never had them but new car would - do they 'distract' you from driving since your eyes have to 'see' the signal i.e taking one's eyes 'off the road' ? thanks

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
Safety of occupants (thick pillars) > safety of not occupants (thin pillars).

Yes, the vehicle has some larger than normal blind spots for its class (the Acura ZDX has worse, along with the BMW X6, though the X6 isn't really in the same 'class' as the SRX). It was built mostly with form rather than function in mind.
Add the infinity Fx's to the list.

·
Registered
2012 SRX
21 Posts
It definitely bothers me!!! I drive a winding road with blind curves and I have to remember to look around both sides of the HUGE pillar on left turns . There is a NHSTA website were I reported this as a safety problem.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
592 Posts
And that's why we have side blind spot detectors on our SRX's. They work like a charm.
For what's coming from behind. From front useless. The reason I was given by a GM engineer was that do to the huge glass roof there aren't only a couple headliner bows in the roof which in the past also helped keep the roof from caving in.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
...The reason I was given by a GM engineer was that do to the huge glass roof there aren't only a couple headliner bows in the roof which in the past also helped keep the roof from caving in.
Another vote for doing away with sunroofs.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Performance SRX
93 Posts
I would love to have an option to delete the sun/moon roof! Did not like it or use it on my Grand Prix, 6000 STE, Pontiac Torrent, Equinox and SRX but to obtain an option loaded vehicle that sunroof was required.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
I got used to the wide pillars in front after a while. Parallel parking is still a pain. If a car is parked directly behind me, it's invisible even looking through my side view mirrors.

Through the rear view, the parked car appears two inches behind me, even though it's several feet! I've paralleled big-ass Lincolns with ease, yet I feel like I still have my learner's permit with my SRX. Other than that, I love the car.

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
I just don't have a problem with blind spots with my SRX. I've heard the complaint from different folks, fact is a woman I know got rid of hers because she couldn't see out of it. For me I can set my mirrors where I can see back with no problem and the front A pillars just aren't a problem for me.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
It definitely bothers me!!! I drive a winding road with blind curves and I have to remember to look around both sides of the HUGE pillar on left turns . There is a NHSTA website were I reported this as a safety problem.
Bad news. New roll over protection regulations created the larger pillars. On all cars. Regulations, from the NHTSA.

Good news, you might be able to roll a ford truck and not die now!

General tips for driving and seeing around large pillars:
Do you have a neck? Use it to move your head.
Do you have money? Use it to purchase auxiliary systems like Side Blind Zone Alert, Forward Collision Warnings, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts