Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a new escalade and am worried about have an all aluminum engine. Has anybody had oil leak problems or head problems with the new motor. Im guessing not but aluminum just seems like it would warp and flex a heck of a lot more than good ole cast iron. Maybe Im over thinking it but I cant tell if its cost cutting or improvement.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If anything you should worry more about an engine with a cast iron block and aluminum heads.
Many times multiple metal engines have more problems due to the slight difference in thermal properties of the components.
GM has been using all aluminum engines for years, most notably in Cadillacs, but also the Corvette since at least '97.
That is one of the last things I would even worry about on that vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
My Porsche's, BMW's, Benz's and Corvette's have had aluminum engines for over 10 years, and my SUV's have had aluminum engines for almost that long, never a leak or problem (not counting my 07' Escalade engine that blew up) that was a defective intake valve. The 6.2 is a great engine, I would worry about a lot of things, but the engine in the Escalade is not one of them. :)

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
If anything you should worry more about an engine with a cast iron block and aluminum heads.
Many times multiple metal engines have more problems due to the slight difference in thermal properties of the components.
Ah, the good ole mixed metal GM 2.8 Litre. Ewill, you brought back some not so fond memories!

BTW, I have had no problems with any GM aluminum engines, and I have had quite a few.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, 07 Escalade (sold), 08 CTS DI (sold)
144 Posts
I definitely wouldn't worry about the engine. It is in the LSX family, which debuted in the 1997 Corvette (LS1). Then came the 5.7L LS6, 6.0L LS2, 7.0L LS7, and now the 2008 Corvette 6.2L LS3, which shares the same block and cylinder heads as this L92 6.2L Caddy engine.

Good stuff for sure.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts