Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 Escalade EXT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and read about the not starting. Initially I thought it was the battery so I tried to jump it but that didn't work. I only get 1 click when i turn the key then nothing. However my interior lights/radio/everything still turn on and function. The truck did not sit long (7 hours) and worked just fine last night and every other time before this. Obviously I'm trying to not have it towed to the dealership, does anyone have any other suggestions what it may be. I have read to try to start it in neutral but i haven't had a chance to try that yet.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
06 Escalade EXT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming I need to take the truck somewhere for that? Sorry I do not have much knowledge of this stuff.

thanks for a quick reply

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
I had this problem in my Honda so I dunno if it would be the same case but in my situation, it was the actual starter solenoid wire. The solenoid is what makes the actual starter kick in and turn the motor over. If you are somewhat electrical inclined, you should have a friend check the wire on the starter for 12V while cranking or even check if you starter's main wire has a constant 12V. Also check your grounding on the starter or the engine block where it mounts. This sounds like a simple problem :) so good luck!

Oh, once my dad had this problem in his Ford and he used a small hammer and just tapped on the starter / solenoid and next thing the car started. He actually did this for a week before he could buy the part lol. I dunno if you wanna try that trick lol.

·
Registered
04 ESV
209 Posts
It may be the battery terminal connectors. first...are they both tight? Loosen, than re tighten. Posts clean? Start with this.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
It's a good and inexpensive idea to check the major electrical connections for corrosion and make sure they're tight (battery terminals, ground, and the connections to the starter). Once you've done that if you still get the click, wedge yourself under the vehicle with a hammer, find the starter, and give it and the solenoid a few good taps with the hammer. You won't break the (already malfunctioning) starter by popping it with a small hammer.

It sounds like a bad solenoid or bad starter to me. I had a solenoid on a GMC that would land on a "bad spot" once in awhile and I'd get nothing but a click. A few love taps with a BFH would bump it just enough to get the truck started. Eventually I removed the starter and had it rebuilt.

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
probably the starter.... tap it with a hammer, as mentioned, it should work.

if not it sounds like a bad connection somewhere like the battery, starter or alternator wires. good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Any update?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts