Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my ac compressor replacd and the mechanic noticed that the crankshaft pulley is wobbly. I looked at it with the car running and it is very wobbly but the car performance has not been affected. Is this something to be concerned about replacing right away?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
If the crank pulley wobbles perceptibly, you run the risk of throwing the serpentine belt at highway speeds or greater. Maybe the rubber/elastomer damper has deteriorated.

Not a difficult replacement, through the fenderwell with the wheel and plastic well liner removed, BUT the crankshaft bolt torque procedure is absolutely critical as the crank pulley hub bears on the oil pump (which is wrapped around the crank snout) and supplies the clamp friction to drive the oil pump. The main difficulty is that the crankshaft must be locked for the procedure to work correctly, and that involves removing the intake manifold and starter (under the manifold) in order to lock the teeth on the flexplate. (The manifold is dry, so there's no coolant or weird seal/gasket problems there........)

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sub, I think I will go ahead and get that fixed on monday, don't want to take any chances.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
FYI, and this may apply and save a bit of labor time - I checked the Alldata for my car and there's a "torque convertor cover" plate under the engine/transmission, next to the transmission pan. If you remove that plate - a couple of bolts - you can lock the flexplate (flywheel) from there, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts