Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious in figuring out how to wire up an aftermarket cd player (including navigation) to the CTS while still retaining the factory DIC. I have read the FAQ's and scanned posts for hours and did not find ANYONE that has done the wiring portion of this install themselves. I have found plenty however that have done the retrofitting itself of mounting the unit into the dash. After studying the wire diagram for the CTS, I don't think the wiring of the cd player would be THAT hard. (although I could be wrong.) There appears to be three connectors on the DIC/CD unit according to the service manual. A 20 pin connector, and two 8-way connectors. Can anyone verify this? Also, it would appear that the connector that is gray in color is the one you want for the input into the BOSE amp. The gray connector has + and - wiring for the left and right channels. (so you'd be tapping into four wires.) You'd have to get ignition/ground from an ignition source. Other than that, I believe you just have to have the output from your new cd player tap into the INPUT of the BOSE amp at the factory radio harness. This is how the steering wheel controls would still control the volume and the DIC could change DSP settings/EQ. The factory cd player was not responsible for these changes in sound, but the BOSE amp was. As long as you can retain the connection between the DIC and BOSE amp, you should be good to go. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone done this installation?

For those who had a shop do it, do your programmable buttons still change your cd track? I can see how the volume could be adjusted, but not a track change. Just wanted to have a discussion for those who would be interested. Thanks!

EDIT: The wire colors on the gray connector are two light green wires for the right channel, and a Tan wire for + on left channel, and a Dark Green wire for - on left channel.

In summary: The factory in-dash cd changer is just that, a cd changer. By replacing it with an aftermarket cd player, you can retain all of the factory options/functions by just using the BOSE input built into the DIC. The sound is totally controlled from the BOSE amp I believe, not anything having to do with the factory cd changer.

·
Registered
Cadillac 09 CTS-V Crystal Red Tintcoat
284 Posts
That's "DarkWingFrog"...lol
I modified the console to accept a double din unit and retain the DIC. I don't have a clue how it's wired in. AutoSound in Lexington did that. :worship:
I actually pulled the new HU out and tried to make sense of the wiring but got scared and shoved it back in the console fast! :eek:

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
this is a big headache for me so far, im trying to figure out a shop that can just do the whole damn thing i dont feel like doing any of this myself

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Can you splice into the stock wiring harness and connect the aftermarket headunit with one set and the dic with the other??

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
my buddy wired mine in, basically when he wired it in, the pioneer avic d3 was always on, weather the car was on or off, key in or out, he had to tap into a wire that is only powered when the key is in the on position, so i think he tapped into the climate control wire, that was the only snag we had, other then that, you can control the volume with the factory vol. knobs as well as your aftermarket one

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS Luxury Black/Black
366 Posts
but if you hook up a aftermarket module that recieves the signals from the stearing wheel buttons, they can be programmed to accept any signal from the remote controll that comes with your aftermarket head unit. basically when programming you press the stearing wheel button and then the button on the remote, then you run an (ir?) wire that sends a signal like the remote to the headunit..... ok i explained that crappy but still. basiclly you intall a signal sender that sends the same signal the remote controll sends to the headunit, its just a hard wired led looking thingy. woudlnt that still work for this setup?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
yea the steering wheel adapter thing will all work, i may eventually get one but i dont really need it i dont mind reaching over to change the song with the button on the avic d3, as a matter of fact, forget it, i cant get the steering wheel adaptor because the avic d3 does not have a remote control so i dont see how that would work in my case, but if your headunit has a remote control it will work.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Has anyone had any luck finding out how to do this yet. Wire diagrams? Install instructions? I have followed all instructions from darkwingfrog with the install of a z3 but have had no luck getting my DIC to work. Please if any one can direct me in the right direction of some directions or some body that has done this themselves please let m know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts