Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a satellite radio into my 2001 STS, and it'll probably be Sirius, to leverage cost savings since our other vehicle already has Sirius from the factory.

As far as units/receivers, I plan to get a Sirius Starmate 4 and possibly mount it in the "ashtray" area below the HVAC controls -- the area that is covered up by the spring-loaded door. I think it'll be a really clean install down there.

Anyway, it appears that most folks are wiring their sat radios in via the CD changer harness. I'm looking at these FM Direct boxes that plug in between the FM antenna and the stock head unit. This supposedly removes interference from over-the-air FM broadcasts, but still allows you to use the FM tuner to run the sat radio.

Is this not the best option? The reason I ask is a search on the term didn't come up with anything. The things are only $30, and those options seem to be pretty plug-n-play. Has anyone wired an FM Direct into a 98+ Seville? That's what I plan to attempt, but if that route is not recommended, maybe I'll do it the other way (through the CD changer harness).

Thanks.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought and activated a Sirius Stratus receiver today. Works great. The Starmate and the Sportster were too wide to fit in the ashtray area and actually, with the car dock, the Stratus is a PERFECT fit. I was planning on "hard mounting" it into the ashtray opening, but with one strip of firm velco on the bottom, that will lock the dock into place without any further anchoring.

They say to not mount the satellite antenna inside the car (under the windshield). I have mine setting on top of the dash, and it's working fine so far. In fact, you can look at the signal strength through an option screen in the Stratus and it showed a full satellite signal as we set there in my driveway (facing north-northwest actually). I figure that if it's fine facing anywhere above due east or due west, it should be good to go. I'll leave it there for the week and make sure it'll work good for me, then I'll run the wiring through the dash. For those of you who have added Sirius or XM to your car, did you use the supplied magnetic antenna on the exterior? It seems flimsy and cheap. I believe that if I had to mount an antenna on the outside, I'd actually rather drill a whole and do a fixed antenna through the roof (like our other vehicle has).

I still plan to buy an FM Direct box to wire the Stratus into the back of the Delco radio. I've got it running through the tape deck for now, just to make sure everything works fine.

What is the best way to wire power? It's running off the ciggy lighter on the passenger side of the console, but I certainly want it cleaner than that. It requires 5VDC. What is the "proper" way to do this? Run a direct lead to the battery with enough resistor to bring the voltage down from 12-14 to 5? I've wired stuff in before (on previous and older cars) by tapping a +12 source in the fuse block, but don't know if that's the best way to do it.

I'm a car audio novice, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I just went through this in my DTS. I chose to use the glass mount so the Starmate 4 sits just above the rear-view on the right. It's real easy to get +12v from the overhead console. I believe they just used an in-line tap for the connection.

I did NOT do my installation but I did engineer it. They ran the antenna wire across under the headliner, across the upper door jamb and out the weatherstripping at the left corner of the windshield.

If you're going to use the Direct FM Modulator I have no idea how that was done. I did find that the system worked fine without it while I was waiting for my install appointment to come. I do know you'll need 2 antenna adapter to do this. Make sure they / you have both of them or you'll be wasting you time pulling stuff apart.

The antenna definitely needs to be outside. I did the same thing during testing and it worked fine but you'll find that there are areas where it needs to be outside. It's not that big of a deal.

Does that help you. I chose NOT to use the ashtray area because of the manual trans lock underneath there.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to follow up.

I've had it in since Sunday and so far, so good. No loss of reception yet. Not even under trees. The signal strength will momentarily fall, but it works remarkably well. I think the FM adapter I saw included two leads (two adapters), but I'll check to be sure. It was sold along with that FM modulator, online, so I think it's inclusive of what you need to install the modulator.

I didn't want to use the glass to mount the radio (but I like the idea of having it way up top) because I thought that would interfere with the sunscreen shade I always use. I did notice that even with the shade COVERING the satellite receiver on top of the dash, it still has full signal strength. I thought it was a line-of-sight thing. Apparently fabric doesn't stop the signal.

I'm not sure what the manual trans lock is. Whatever it is, you'd have to pull the console cover to get to it (at least on my STS), so what I did wouldn't affect that I don't think. The radio comes out with the ashtray. It's also easy to remove the radio from the ashtray area by itself. I think I will need to use some sticky tape or something along the bottom of the radio dock. If I press hard on the bottom of the radio (like to use a preset), it wants to try to slide under some. But that's easy to fix.

Thanks for your feedback!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts