Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI for everyone. What started out as a minor intermittent dome light staying on turned out to be a near disaster. Friday, my dome light stayed on for a while, but I didn't notice anything odd until I got back into the car the dome light didn't come on at all, and the windows would not go down. The car smelled weird too. I waited till I got home to check for a blown fuse, but while I'm checking, I burned my hand on the driver side controller circuit breaker. I pulled the circuit breaker and figured there had to be a short in the wiring under the floor mat. (this was from an old post about the dome light) What I found was a complete meltdown in the wiring harness where it goes over the top of an insulator behind the driver side kick panel. The panel had never been off, and the car has not been in any accidents, so this may be a problem to others. It is only by the grace of God that the car didn't catch fire. Looking at the melted copper, there should have been a fire. I would suggest that all look at the wires where they go though the insulator behind the kick panel on the driver side to see if there is any excessive wear. I had to splice 10 wires to repair the damage. By the way, I have 221k on my car now.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, no pics. I fixed it late last night, and the wires that I cut out are just a blob. There is a T in the harness right where the harness goes through the insulator. The rest of the wires continue up under the dash. Its about 4 or 6 inches above the last clip on the floor board. The clips are next to the side panel, behind the kick panel, and under the foot rest of carpet. You have to pull the carpet up under the emergency brake pedal to see everything. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
Do you still have the wires you replaced? If so take a pic of those.

For reference take a picture before you start for the just in case factor.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I have a picture of the wire blob that I took out, but I cannot upload them. I get an error message that says that I am over the limit. The only pics that I have uploaded were my rebuild pics from over a year ago. Does anyone know what is wrong, and how do I fix it.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Taz816 said:
Ok, I have a picture of the wire blob that I took out, but I cannot upload them. I get an error message that says that I am over the limit. The only pics that I have uploaded were my rebuild pics from over a year ago. Does anyone know what is wrong, and how do I fix it.
Use photobucket it works great

I would like to see this also as I would want to make sure my mom's 04 cts doesn't have this risk

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
Just wanted to comment about the size photo thing. Why can't this be fixed? I've taken tons of pics from changing my own clutch to replacement of the seat back and would post them but it won't let me. I understand photobucket would solve it but I do everything from my phone and I really think it's keeping a lot of good pics off this site.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
mattt0305 said:
Just wanted to comment about the size photo thing. Why can't this be fixed? I've taken tons of pics from changing my own clutch to replacement of the seat back and would post them but it won't let me. I understand photobucket would solve it but I do everything from my phone and I really think it's keeping a lot of good pics off this site.
You have to understand if the server for the forum held all the pics we upload to here it would fill the drives up fast
That's why most of us use a photo hosting site(eg photobucket) and post the links here when posting to a thread
I also do a lot on my iphone(just about run my business with it) and have the photobucket app on my iPhone to upload pics

Works great for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts