Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wireing Routes

Hey all, first post on this forum but I've been lurking here for awhile.
My question--> I am installing aftermarket stereo in my 95 STS. Where do you guys run your wires through from the trunk? Where do you go through the firewall to run power from the battery?
I thought I could benifit from some experiences before I go ahead an do it sometime next week. Do you cut holes? or are there some good openings I can utilize? It might be obvious when I get in there but any tips would help. Problems I might run into?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Re: Wireing Routes

GRAMPACAR said:
Hey all, first post on this forum but I've been lurking here for awhile.
My question--> I am installing aftermarket stereo in my 95 STS. Where do you guys run your wires through from the trunk? Where do you go through the firewall to run power from the battery?
I thought I could benifit from some experiences before I go ahead an do it sometime next week. Do you cut holes? or are there some good openings I can utilize? It might be obvious when I get in there but any tips would help. Problems I might run into?
Thanks guys!
Just go underneith the seats and the carpeting to get to the trunk. The power wire is an arguement. Some go through the firewall some go through holes already there I see no problem in both. Its just like any other car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks JJ,
Looking at some other posts, it seems with an aftermaket stereo I may risk blowing my factory speakers or overloading the amps on the speakers. Are the amps easy to bypass? I know the front speakers are enclosed and the back ones have the amps attached to the bottom of the magnet.
BTW..it's a Delco-Bose Gold system.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

GRAMPACAR said:
Thanks JJ,
Looking at some other posts, it seems with an aftermaket stereo I may risk blowing my factory speakers or overloading the amps on the speakers. Are the amps easy to bypass? I know the front speakers are enclosed and the back ones have the amps attached to the bottom of the magnet.
BTW..it's a Delco-Bose Gold system.
My advice to you is get rid of the old speakers and replace them with new ones. Remove the speakers and amps. Run new wires from the headunit to the doors and rear deck. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. Just to warn you it will be a long job but easy. Pick up some crimps and go to town. I would run 16-18 gauge wire for the speakers from the head unit. If your not running an amp you can use the power wire from the oem unit. let me know if you have more questions and ill find a way to get you an ansewer.

What headunit you running?
You going with subs?
What are your ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Pioneer HU and Alpine Equilizers that I was gonna put in to help control my sub output and also to fill the big space in the dash. I have a sub box with 10" Alpine sub and Alpine amp I was considering using. I am kinda on a budget so I was hoping to use my factory speakers at least for the meantime. My factory HU lit on fire so I really need some tunes (lucky it didn't burn my car). Will the factory speakers hold up for a while or are they pretty much a lost cause?
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
GRAMPACAR said:
I have a Pioneer HU and Alpine Equilizers that I was gonna put in to help control my sub output and also to fill the big space in the dash. I have a sub box with 10" Alpine sub and Alpine amp I was considering using. I am kinda on a budget so I was hoping to use my factory speakers at least for the meantime. My factory HU lit on fire so I really need some tunes (lucky it didn't burn my car). Will the factory speakers hold up for a while or are they pretty much a lost cause?
Thanks again for the help.
You just have to use your head. When you wire the speakers to the new headunit make sure that you set the power real low on them. The bass is going to over power your speakers though. As long as you hear it clear than you won't blow them but if you give it tooo much juice then boom they go. You following me???

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have an Active Audio Amp in your trunk type in "Wiring Diagrams" as a keyword search in the pictures section; and follow the instructions posted. Run all your speaker wires up through the wire channel running along side the left hand side of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts