Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new here. I just bought a 1996 Sedan DeVille and it came with an aftermarket cd player which was professionally installed by some shop in Houston Texas. Anyways the CD player is a little out of date and Im wanting to put my new alpine in it. The factory speakers were taken out and replaced and so there is all new speaker wires running to the old head unit. Then the red wire coming out of the cd player runs under the steering column and is jumpered to a thick brown wire which im guessing is factory.. Then the Ground, hot and I think the power antenna wires from the cd player are jumpered into the factory radio harness. I was wondering if anyone here has a wiring guide so I can determine what wires are what because the cd player didnt always turn on when you start the car, sometimes you had to manually turn it on so I think something wasnt wired right.. Also the stations didnt stay programmed so im thinking it wasnt hot wired right. Let me know if anyone can help, Thanks alot, James

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
feef706 said:
Hi Im new here. I just bought a 1996 Sedan DeVille and it came with an aftermarket cd player which was professionally installed by some shop in Houston Texas. Anyways the CD player is a little out of date and Im wanting to put my new alpine in it. The factory speakers were taken out and replaced and so there is all new speaker wires running to the old head unit. Then the red wire coming out of the cd player runs under the steering column and is jumpered to a thick brown wire which im guessing is factory.. Then the Ground, hot and I think the power antenna wires from the cd player are jumpered into the factory radio harness. I was wondering if anyone here has a wiring guide so I can determine what wires are what because the cd player didnt always turn on when you start the car, sometimes you had to manually turn it on so I think something wasnt wired right.. Also the stations didnt stay programmed so im thinking it wasnt hot wired right. Let me know if anyone can help, Thanks alot, James
Go to your caddy dealer or GM dealer for the most part and ask them for a print out of the wiring diagram. I do it all of the time. They are a source that no one remembers is there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wiring Diagrams

The service manual wiring diagrams for that car are vague and complicated to follow. I have very detailed and simple to follow diagrams and install instructions that I created. Problem is this site tells me the file is too big to load, so untill I figure a way to get around this I can't help the hundred other people who want to install themselves.
About the station memory, what probably happened is the previous owner used the wires from behind the dash which "kill" 10 min. after the car is shut off thus resetting the memory. There is an easy way around this. If anyone knows a way to upload a "large" word document please let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Wiring Diagrams

Slick Black Cadillac said:
The service manual wiring diagrams for that car are vague and complicated to follow. I have very detailed and simple to follow diagrams and install instructions that I created. Problem is this site tells me the file is too big to load, so untill I figure a way to get around this I can't help the hundred other people who want to install themselves.
About the station memory, what probably happened is the previous owner used the wires from behind the dash which "kill" 10 min. after the car is shut off thus resetting the memory. There is an easy way around this. If anyone knows a way to upload a "large" word document please let me know.
Alright well I got it all wired up... My alpine is a High Current unit which requires a direct connection to the battery, if I run a hot wire to the battery will that stop the "kill" after 10 mins? If not could you explain how to get around that if its not too much to ask. Thanks for all your help, James

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

feef706 said:
Alright well I got it all wired up... My alpine is a High Current unit which requires a direct connection to the battery, if I run a hot wire to the battery will that stop the "kill" after 10 mins? If not could you explain how to get around that if its not too much to ask. Thanks for all your help, James
about uploading the large document email sal or howard and get them to put it up for everyone to use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What if you tried copying and pasting it? Or possibly emailing it as an attachment or something? If thats possible my address is [email protected]

Please let me know if you can help me get around the factory wire "kill"+

Thanks James

·
Registered
96' Sedan DeVille
2 Posts

Were you able to upload this document. I am in need of this. I have a 96 Sedan DeVille. email [email protected]
Thanks
SilkyJ

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts

feef706 said:
Provided you only connected the (typically yellow) BATT lead to the battery, you should be fine. If you also connected the (typically red) IGN lead, then the 10 minute deal is not in effect, and the alpine will stay on all the time.

·
Registered
96' Sedan DeVille
2 Posts

So does this mean that I can either connect yellow wire to the battery or I can connect the IGN lead to the battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts

If you are still around and have the diagram I would greatly appreciate it. TIA! Email to [email protected]

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey i want that too. [email protected] i've had too many headaches with trying to get my cd player in my car . i deliver pizzas and i get tired of listening to the fact radio . three different stations play the same shnitz. i want my own music to keep my sanity from these stupid drivers in my area who love to pull out and stop in the midle of the road for no apparent reason.
E

1 - 11 of 11 Posts