Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to wire up a DC to AC inverter behind my stereo/console in order to power a couple of devices. However, I would like the inverter to turn on and off with the car ignition.

The inverter itself does not have a remote wire, such as with an amplifier. The power to the lighter outlets also stay on when the car is off.

Is there a power line I can tap into in this location that will get me what I am looking for?

Thanks for the help!

Anthony

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,883 Posts
Check this thread out that I made last year. You maybe one of the lucky ones to move over the fuse and the outlets turn off with the car. Or you may be able to add the relay, as well as moving the fuse. Or you could be like me, and unable to do it at all.

Either way, read threw the entire thread to see if you are able to do it.

KOT

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Moving the fuses as KOT suggests will certainly make the cigar lighter sockets go off, but there is a 10 minute delay after you turn off the ignition key. Regardless of whether you open and close then lock the doors. The brown hvac wire loses power as soon as you turn the key to off.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,883 Posts
But if you use the brown wire. Best use a relay, as this brown wire is not designed to handle more power than it already is using.

KOT

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
But if you use the brown wire. Best use a relay, as this brown wire is not designed to handle more power than it already is using.

KOT
i was running both my parrot, and sometimes, my gps through it. I never had any problems. It would not, however, charge my phone or laptop. Too much current I guess.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
If you have both 12v ignition, and 12v constant going to it, I think it is drawing its power from the 12V constant. The 12v ignition just tells it when to turn on and off.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2007 cts
107 Posts
You are going to several issues putting an inverter to drive other devices.You have to ensure the alternator will keep up, larger battery, keep inverter cool(they give off a lot of heat). Best to use a relay from switched source and power form battery itself via the relay ,fuse both sides. Read instructions on inverter to determine current draw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts