Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Silver Coast Metalic Premium Luxury
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone having issues with the wireless charging? I purchased the charger recommended on Cadillac website. However, I drove yesterday for about 2 hrs and my iPhone did not charge at all. When I left my house my phone had a charge of 45%. When I got out the charge was 38%. The charging symbol on the screen is showing that the phone is charging though. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
XT5 prem lux, Previously 10 SRX
251 Posts
Re: Witeless Charging

In my opinion Cadillac made a mistake in the placement of the wireless transmitter coil in the cell phone slot. In my case I have been using wireless QI charging for over three years (three different phones) and currently I am using the Samsung Galaxy S5 (we have two two them) On one phone I used an internal 3rd party charging coil, and on the other we used the OEM charging back on the phone. The results are the same at home, both phones charge just fine, on three different wireless chargers, but different results in the car. On the phone with the internal 3rd party coil, the car does not recognize that the cell phone is in the slot, and of course does not charge, on the phone with the OEM charging back, the phone charges correctly in the slot. The only remedy for this was to purchase another OEM charging back for my phone so that I can charge in the slot. Also, I have noticed a difference in phone cases and charging in the car only (fine at home). If they had placed the transmitter coil in a slightly different position in the slot I think the results would be better, or use multiple coils in the charger, as other manufacturers have done, so that the position of the phone would not be as critical.
If you have a cell phone that wont fit in the slot because it is a touch to wide, you can remove the rubber padding that it sits on and gain some more room.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts

In my opinion Cadillac made a mistake in the placement of the wireless transmitter coil in the cell phone slot.....On the phone with the internal 3rd party coil, the car does not recognize that the cell phone is in the slot, and of course does not charge, on the phone with the OEM charging back, the phone charges correctly in the slot. The only remedy for this was to purchase another OEM charging back for my phone so that I can charge in the slot....
If it's working correctly with the OEM product but not a 3rd party obviously the Cadillac is working with the OEM specifications. It's also obvious the 3rd party manufacturer did something outside/different than the OEM spec and that's surely not Cadillac's fault. My complaint would be with the 3rd party manufacturer.

·
Registered
XT5
1 Posts

Hello, I purchased a 2017 Cadillac XT5 and my cell phone isn't charging. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +. My husband took the vehicle back to the dealership to see what was happening, the man at the dealership has the same phone that I have and when he placed his phone in the slot it worked, but several other people placed their phones in the slot and it didn't work. All of their phones are wireless charging capable. The folks at AT&T don't know what the problem could be as all of my setting are correct. Would you have any suggestions of what I can do, I would love to be able to charge my cell in my car without a plug.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury AWD Bright Silver Metallic
71 Posts
In my opinion, Cadillac did a poor job of placing the charger coil in the slot. My Galaxy S7 charges only intermittently. Charging usually shuts down after about 10 seconds. I did a work around and removed the rubber pad from the slot and it works much better. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said ..." yea I know". Taking the rubber mat out is a fine work around, BUT why do i have to do a work around on a $52000 vehicle. Not pleased.

·
Registered
'16 CTS-V &'16 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4x4
83 Posts
Cadillac thought they were doing a good job when they designed it. They weren't. They should just have a pad on top of the arm rest like in most vehicles.

Sent From My SM-N930F Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,966 Posts
The solution I found for my Galaxy S7 by doing a Google Search was to enable Screensaver under Display options. Once the Screensaver is turned on and the selection made for the type, tap "More" in the upper right corner and make the choice of "Select when to use". Either "While charging" or "Both" should enable charging. Older models of Galaxy call this "Daydream".

I also turned on "Always on display". I did not experiment to see if one or the other of these options will enable the charging, but had success with both and left both on.

Edited 9-11-16: Well that solution was no solution at all. It worked once, which must have been a fluke. Back to not being able to wirelessly charge my S7 in the car. It works well on a wireless charger my son has at home. Guess you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet, LOL.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum Crystal White with Jet Black
300 Posts
What is really needed is near proximity charging when just have to be within a short range. I don't think we will see Apple doing wireless charging on iPhones until they get that profited. I should not have to take my phone out of my pocket to get charged.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium AWD
154 Posts
What is really needed is near proximity charging when just have to be within a short range. I don't think we will see Apple doing wireless charging on iPhones until they get that profited. I should not have to take my phone out of my pocket to get charged[/SIZE].
and beam me up Scotty!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The solution I found for my Galaxy S7 by doing a Google Search was to enable Screensaver under Display options. Once the Screensaver is turned on and the selection made for the type, tap "More" in the upper right corner and make the choice of "Select when to use". Either "While charging" or "Both" should enable charging. Older models of Galaxy call this "Daydream".

I also turned on "Always on display". I did not experiment to see if one or the other of these options will enable the charging, but had success with both and left both on.
Well that solution was no solution at all. It worked once, which must have been a fluke. Back to not being able to wirelessly charge my S7 in the car. It works well on a wireless charger my son has at home. Guess you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet, LOL.

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,390 Posts
Well that solution was no solution at all. It worked once, which must have been a fluke. Back to not being able to wirelessly charge my S7 in the car. It works well on a wireless charger my son has at home. Guess you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet, LOL.
I am sure you already read about the batteries catching fire... I wouldn't use your S7 unless SAMSUNG has already replaced yours.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am sure you already read about the batteries catching fire... I wouldn't use your S7 unless SAMSUNG has already replaced yours.
Yes and fortunately mine is not a Note. From what I have seen the regular S7 which I have and the S7 Edge are OK. The technology we all crave makes our lives more complex keeping everything working properly. My XT5 now has a red indicator on the OnStar so back to the dealer to have that fixed. So far I had a wheel speed sensor which did not have the retaining clip closed at the factory and a faulty park switch causing a parking brake fault.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,073 Posts
Yes and fortunately mine is not a Note. From what I have seen the regular S7 which I have and the S7 Edge are OK. The technology we all crave makes our lives more complex keeping everything working properly. My XT5 now has a red indicator on the OnStar so back to the dealer to have that fixed. So far I had a wheel speed sensor which did not have the retaining clip closed at the factory and a faulty park switch causing a parking brake fault.
Third trip back to dealer? My new SRX has 6000 miles in 8 months and has never been to the dealer since the day I drove it home.:)

·
Registered
2017 XT5,2013 CTS,2010 DTS,2007 SRX,1989 Allante,1984 Dev
113 Posts
I was going to buy a Samsung S7 Edge but based on the hit and miss charging issues with the XT5 I'll have to wait until Cadillac solves the issue.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts