Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of adding wireless charging to our new XT4. The part from GM authority is like $270 plus shipping. But searching on the internet there is an aftermarket unit called Qi Charger that looks like a fairly simple install and only costs about $70 shipping included.
Does anyone have any experience with this Qi unit. Is it a decent unit and does it do the job?
Alternatively how much console disassembly is required to install the GM unit?
Appreciate any input that can be provided.

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
Also interested in doing this. I looked into the Qi Charger as well but decided against it because I wanted the wireless charger to look nice without cables showing.

I'm guessing you saw this already, but below is a link to the YT video showing the $70 aftermarket charger.

It seems simple and easy, but it doesn't look the cleanest - and I don't drive a Cadillac to have cables and what not showing.

I also pulled back the rubber mat where the GM part would most likely be installed under it but there isn't any pre-cut areas to mount it. I was thinking I would talk to my local dealership the next time I'm out there and ask about that part and how hard it is installing it. I couldn't find anything online from anyone that's done it in the past.

· Registered
2009 ESV
3 Posts
I have a 2019 XT4 Sport that did not have wireless charging console bin. There is someone on Ebay right now that sells the console bin with the wireless charger installed. It is a direct swap out and the XT4 is prewired to just plug into the new charger.
They are $80 dollars right now!
The only thing that wont work is the symbol on the radio wont show the charging symbol. The radio must have to get programmed at dealer for that, but it is no issue at all if you dont do it, I didnt and it works great and it is Qi so it will charge new Iphones unlike the older generations on GM cars.
Awesome that the XT4 is already prewired for this so it is plug and play.
As of Feb 21 there is one left to purchase.

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
I have a 2019 XT4 Sport that did not have wireless charging console bin. There is someone on Ebay right now that sells the console bin with the wireless charger installed. It is a direct swap out and the XT4 is prewired to just plug into the new charger.
Any pointers on the install? Mine will be here in the morning.

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
The replacement console actually came in yesterday. I got home from work and it was there waiting for me so I went ahead and installed it. It was very straight-forward plug in and it starts working but removing the old console bin was pretty difficult for me. There are 6 total clips that you have to remove to get the console bin removed and they were in there pretty good for me - so it took some time and patience getting the console bin out without damaging anything.

Other than that the install was pretty simple. Thanks again for the link. This bin was the exact one they sell on the GM Parts Store for $200 so I saved $100 going through that eBay seller.

· Registered
CT6 Platinum White Tri-coat with Super Cruise
687 Posts
I have an XT4 as a loner while my CT6 is in for service. Don't know what model it is but it has the wireless charger. My IPhone 8 charges in the charger, even with an Otter Case on. I was surprised because of the case.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoiler, I see you ordered and installed the replacement bin assembly from eBay. I considered this unit but the little adapter plug that was shown as part of the package suggested that wiring had to be cut and spliced into to get it functioning. I asked the supplier if they would share a copy of the install instructions so that I could confirm if that was actually the case but they declined. So rather than take that chance I have ordered the Qi charger which is a simple plug in to the port at the rear of the console bin. No fuss no muss no bother imho. I am not concerned about the cable showing inside the console box as I rarely open it. So the big question is did you have to splice in the adapter plug or did the sis the wire harness already have the plug available?

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
So the big question is did you have to splice in the adapter plug or did the sis the wire harness already have the plug available?
I did not. I was also worried about this when ordering it. The bin came with 'dummy' plugs in the two ports which made me nervous thinking I was going to have to splice the wires, but once I removed the old bin, I saw the two plugs were right there under the old bin and just needed to be plugged into where the 'dummy' plugs were plugged into. The most difficult part of the entire installation was removing the old bin. Those clips that hold it in place were stuck in there very good.

· Registered
2 Posts
The only thing that wont work is the symbol on the radio wont show the charging symbol. The radio must have to get programmed at dealer for that, but it is no issue at all if you dont do it, I didnt and it works great and it is Qi so it will charge new Iphones unlike the older generations on GM cars.

· Registered
2 Posts
Spoiler, I see you ordered and installed the replacement bin assembly from eBay. I considered this unit but the little adapter plug that was shown as part of the package suggested that wiring had to be cut and spliced into to get it functioning. I asked the supplier if they would share a copy of the install instructions so that I could confirm if that was actually the case but they declined. So rather than take that chance I have ordered the Qi charger which is a simple plug in to the port at the rear of the console bin. No fuss no muss no bother imho. I am not concerned about the cable showing inside the console box as I rarely open it. So the big question is did you have to splice in the adapter plug or did the sis the wire harness already have the plug available?

Hi, Thank you for the info. I purchased the unit and it came today. I cannot get the orginal console out!!!..How did you get it out please, Any suggestions. Thank you, John B

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
Hi, Thank you for the info. I purchased the unit and it came today. I cannot get the orginal console out!!!..How did you get it out please, Any suggestions. Thank you, John B
John,

There are two clips on the front. I’m on my phone but I’ve attached a photo and tried to point to where the clips are. You have to pull those plastic pieces out towards you to pull the clips out of the front of the bin. Those clips were what was causing me issues when I had to remove the old bin.

Attachments

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finally recived and installed my Qi wireless charger. Took a while to get here due to delays resulting from this virus situation. Installation was a breeze. Took all of 30 seconds! Dropped the charger into the holder, plugged the included USB cable into the little charger (purchased separately - very inexpensive) in the port at the rear of the bin and voila it worked.
The charger I purchased has 2 USB ports - 1A and 2.5A - for regular or fast charging. My iPhone supports the fast charge mode so I use the 2.5A port.
The beauty of this setup is no disassembly/reassembly required. You don't see the cable as the bin lid is closed and even when open the little tray in the top of the bin conceals the cable. The other key feature is that when the car is off there is no power at the port so there is no parasitic drain on the battery. Very happy with this unit and would recommend it to anyone.

· Vendor
2022 Caddy XT6 | Luxury| Sport Grille & Trims | Blacked Out
125 Posts

· Vendor
125 Posts
My XT4 was supposed to have had this installed at the factory and it was missing. The dealer ordered the part and they are putting it in today.
Have your dealer run you a build sheet. Its an interesting document that shows everything on the vehicle.
That is extremely interesting... That doesn't happen often and you caught my attention with that!

· Registered
20 Posts
I was told by the salesman the model had wireless charging but when we attempted to try it he said “its not working because you need to be connected to Bluetooth”. After receiving delivery of my 2019 xt4 I learned that it doesn’t have wireless charging. The dealer installed it free of charge the next day. Try your dealer if you were told it was equipped with wireless charging

· Vendor
125 Posts
Oh, so your saying that the sales person led you to think it had it. It wasn't that GM forgot to put it in. Understanding you right?

· Registered
Current:09CTS4,08DTS Past:00,04DTS,03,07CTS,07STS4
147 Posts
Just got around to installing mine and yes plug was already hanging in there....just simply plug and play.

I wish things could have been this easy on my past Cadillac’s trying to add features

The link above to the eBay item is the last one left and it literally has everything you need. If anyone is looking to add wireless charging at half the price I would jump on that. Ignore having to splice the wiring or anything no need...you can do this at home in under 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts