Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wired FM modulator that I want to have installed in my '03 CTS. I planned on installing it myself, but have been too busy. I have two questions:

(1) Does anybody have any experience with wired FM modulators in their CTS? Good or bad?

(2) Does anybody recommend a particular car stereo installation place in the Central NJ area (or maybe Staten Island -- preferably someone with experience doing CTS's)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Trackerdog. I searched and had seen your setup before I posted.

Do you know where the installers mounted the FM modulator? I had removed my radio and HVAC controls to have a look around, and it doesn't look like there's much room back there for my bulky FM mod.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I don't know how big yours is, but when I had an XM Commander, which used a hardwired FM Modulator, it sat nicely under the radio, behind the HVAC controls. Hooking one up is rather simple and hardly worth paying anyone to do. All you do is tap into power and ground, unplug your radio antenna from the radio and plug it into the modulator, plug the modulator into the radio antenna port, then plug the line into whatever it is you're controlling (XM, Sirius, iPod, etc). You'll need snap-on VW antenna converter wires, as the normal bayonet style American antenna connectors that most FM converters use, won't plug in directly. I got mine from Circuit City. The whole job shouldn't take but 30 minutes. Less time than it takes to drive to an installer.

Incidentally, I now have an XM Direct tuner, and XMDGM100 adapter, and a bundle of wires in the same space under the radio.

·
Registered
Cadillac
156 Posts
trackerdog that looks sick man, where did u buy the slim style sirius to fit in ur ashtray from?

also, Justin, i have a kenwood kos-a200 fm modulator installed behind my glove box that runs my ps2 audio directly through my oem factory deck, it even shows the information on the screen cause its designed to do that.
I also have a usb cord exactly in the same place as trackerdog.
The sound is great my ipod sounds almost as clear as cd quality.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 V-6
10 Posts
KB24,

Can you give some details on that Kenwood unit. I saw that somewhere a couple of days ago and thought it would be pretty slick. But, Crutchfield (website) says it doesn't work in a CTS. Not sure why (and I haven't called them), since it looks like it plugs inline with the FM antenna of "any" car radio. Anyway, enlighten us, please!

thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac 2003 CTS
74 Posts
Thanks, Trackerdog. I searched and had seen your setup before I posted.

Do you know where the installers mounted the FM modulator? I had removed my radio and HVAC controls to have a look around, and it doesn't look like there's much room back there for my bulky FM mod.
No clue as to where they installed it. I had thought they installed it under the center console under the switches, but I'm not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts