Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advice: when I put my wipers on delay they start off on the delay that they are set to but then speed up to the fastest speed and stay in that setting. I could be doing something wrong but any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,009 Posts
If you have Rainsense wipers they automatically adjust themselves to match actual rainfall. What looks like a delay adjustment adjusts the sensitivity and not delay. Set the stalk one notch up from off and Bob's your Uncle. You never need to fool with it again.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
The rainsense sensor may be faulty or not installed correctly causing it to think there is an extreme amount of water on the windshield so it runs max speed to attempt to clear it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 06 STS 1 SG and I believe I do have Rainsense. When on lowest delay they speed up to fastest speed even though it is only drizzling. I will try the suggestions and thanks for the input!

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
I have an 06 STS 1 SG and I believe I do have Rainsense. When on lowest delay they speed up to fastest speed even though it is only drizzling. I will try the suggestions and thanks for the input!
Yes, you should have rainsense in that year and package.
If the rain sense sensor is disconnected the car should fallback to using standard delay wipers.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
Many people make a simple mistake when cleaning the windows of their STS. Although they do exercise care not to damage the sensors populating the top of the interior windshield, they forget that Rainsense does depend on an optical sensor. With a soft clean lint-free cloth, wipe the lower edge of the sensor and the glass. If there's any build-up, start with distilled water and work up to glass cleaner until both are clean.

In normal operation, this same symptom will happen if the windshield interior begins to fog.

People whose Rainsense is defective, or simply don't like it, can unplug the sensor and it should work like conventional delay wipers. I think they're nuts, I'd miss mine terribly. Opinions vary!

----------

Oh, I see Luda' beat me to that one...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EChas good point which leads me to a neophyte question: would an obstruction such as an EZ pass cause the wipers to go gonzo? I recently moved mine to just under the rear view mirror. It was blocking my field of vision a bit in the old spot. I'll move it again and see how it goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
Mine's to the right of my Rainsense sensor. It's not great for the passenger, but meh?

My wife's car already had the Velcro on the windshield right below the sensor. It was a Hertz car in the Chicago area; I figure it spent some time as a long-term executive rental.

Neither have issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts