Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of modern cars today have wiper arms that allow you to lift them up to prevent them from freezing to the windshield. I heard someone here upgraded their wiper arms on their fleetwood so they could lift up all the way.

If I'm right What make/model/year vehicle do I need to pull the wiper arms from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,689 Posts
These arms can also be had from Pontiac Bonnevilles and Buick Park Avenues. 2000-2005-ish.

I have a set on my wagon. They also use the c-clip style wiper blades instead of the pin style. Much easier to change - and the arms seem to have greater pressure against the windshield thanks to the spring that reduces chattering.

A great and easy mod. The only minor downside is they don't park themselves all the way down against the stop because the design is in fact different.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
A great and easy mod. The only minor downside is they don't park themselves all the way down against the stop because the design is in fact different.
Oh ok. I was just about to ask how you lift them if they're concealed.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,689 Posts
Yeah the arm is shaped differently with a bend in it. No biggie. Nobody's ever noticed it, but I know it's there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the arm is shaped differently with a bend in it. No biggie. Nobody's ever noticed it, but I know it's there.

I noticed in the picture the driverside wiper arm kinda goes outside the windshield can that be adjusted?

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
Run different size blades.

On my wagon I run a 22 on the driver's side and a 20 on the passenger side to avoid the passenger blade from hitting the A-pillar.

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
damn wish i knew about that when i had my fleetwood. It was a pain changing the blades holding it up in one hand and unfrangling the locking mechanism in the other hand....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn wish i knew about that when i had my fleetwood. It was a pain changing the blades holding it up in one hand and unfrangling the locking mechanism in the other hand....
Ugh tell me about it... It is a pain in the ass putting new blades on this thing. I bought $60 Wiper blades from crappy tire and couldn't get the locking clips to go on, I asked one of the mechanics to help me. They spent about half an hour trying to install them, I drove home and it started to rain so I turned my wipers on and both blades flew off, so I took my car to crappy tire again and spent another $60 on wiper blades and had the GM Dealership install them. I feel stupid not being able to install a set of blades but I guess we can't be good at some things lol...

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
Ugh tell me about it... It is a pain in the ass putting new blades on this thing. I bought $60 Wiper blades from crappy tire and couldn't get the locking clips to go on, I asked one of the mechanics to help me. They spent about half an hour trying to install them, I drove home and it started to rain so I turned my wipers on and both blades flew off, so I took my car to crappy tire again and spent another $60 on wiper blades and had the GM Dealership install them. I feel stupid not being able to install a set of blades but I guess we can't be good at some things lol...
some mom n pop parts stores install them if u buy them. I buy mine on rock auto they are usually a couple bucks I just add on when ordering other parts. $60 is nuts

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood
138 Posts
Resurrecting this thread from the dead! @Stingroo help would be appreciated! Is bigphill gone?

Hello all, popping back in with some minor issues on the '95 Fleet. Had some snow/rain today and my wipers started acting up. The passenger wiper got stuck in the middle of the windshield and so did the driver side. I had to manually push them back down again; however they kept getting stuck in the middle and when I activated them, the driver wiper actually went OFF the left side of the windshield (driver) and came back to rest in the middle of the window, blocking my view. When I pushed it back down, there was no resistance almost as if it was loose.

I tried to pry off the plastic caps that covered the nut holding the arm into the wiper stick (shaft?) that powers the arm itself. I ended up breaking both caps, so the nuts are exposed to the elements. :( I used a socket wrench to tighten both bolts holding the arms onto the car. That SEEMS to have fixed the issue, while using the wipers sitting in the driveway. I am not 100% convinced this is permanent.

Anyways, my question is this: What do you think is wrong with my wipers?
1. Loose nut as described
2. Stripped gearing in the wiper arm
3. Bad wiper motor - have had ZERO issues until today
4. Something else

This winter, I managed to break half of the clip that holds the windshield squirting mechanism onto the wiper arm. It still works and is holding on/squirts, but it bothers me. Maybe replacing the arms (below?) would fix this.

Also, to stay on topic to this thread, what is the EXACT year of the Lesabre arm that fits our cars? Best place to source these parts?
I have searched around and can't seem to find the style/model that has the hooked end for installing wipers, only the pin end like ours. I would love to do this because I hate the old style of wipers, plus the springs aren't optimal for holding the blades tight against the windshield.

MANY THANKS!

~Caddyshack

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't like replying to reerected threads that don't even align with the orignal topic.

Back in the 1970's it was optional / standard on some models for GM cars to have concieled wipers.
In the park position the arms would lower below the windshield.
At least some cars would have a small wedge that would lift the wiper off the windshield / lower glass molding.
This kept the rubber blades fresher by having no load on them IMO.
Also prevented them from freezing.
Kinda depends how much ice you're dealing with. Everything has it's limits.

For blade size I like to try and find the largest that will fit if I have the time.
In Vegas rubber and plastic does not do well in the sun.

The newest question is what's broke.
Wipper arms are made out of softer metal so they strip out jammed.
Replace your arm(s).
Those arm caps seem like a popular grab at the bone yard.
I needed at least 1 when I got the Fleetwood.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
Yeah I would remove the wipers and check the gearing on the arms and the wiper mechanism itself to make sure neither are stripped - but I'd bet one or both of them are.

00-05 is the year range, and if you've outgrown your junkyarding days, Dorman makes new ones for reasonable money:

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood
138 Posts
Yeah I would remove the wipers and check the gearing on the arms and the wiper mechanism itself to make sure neither are stripped - but I'd bet one or both of them are.

00-05 is the year range, and if you've outgrown your junkyarding days, Dorman makes new ones for reasonable money:

Busy with life, sorry for the late reply! The wipers seem to be working fine now, after I tightened those nuts.

However, I am still wary of them not working again so thank you for the link with the part that fits. It looks like those have the covers to the nuts themselves (good thing). I will be buying those here sometime soon and trying to install them when it warms up a bit... Those arms are a huge upgrade if I remember correctly since they hug the windshield better and have the much improved hook attachment rather than the pin style once, correct?

With that said, I understand how the inside gearing of the arm itself could be stripped, but what about the stripping of the driving (wiper) mechanism (shaft itself)? Doesn't that mean I'd have to get a whole new wiper mechanism? Does this stripping occur naturally over time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts