Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunate enough for me, I had a wiper arm crap out on me on my '89 heading home yesterday in what was basically a monsoon. It was your typical it came loose type of situation but when I looked for some kind of nut to tighten, I couldn't find one. How do these arms tighten down?

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
Took me awhile to find the nut on the wiper arm on my 95 fleetwood it was hidden under a plastic cap that you need to remove using a flat head screw driver I'm guessing yours should be the same

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Yours might have a metal clip underneath it that you pull out a little too take it off. Not sure what you can do to make it tighter.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
I'd bet that the spline in the arm is worn out and likely so is the master spline that permits the arm to seat in only one position on the drive hub. First, get a flat blade screw driver and with the arm slightly raised into its arc, pull the blade away from the glass. You will see a small stainless steel tab at the drive hub end. Slip the screwdriver under the tab and slide it away from the arm. This will release the arm and you will be able to remove it. Best to have a replacement arm ready just in case. Hopefully the spline on the drive hub will still be useable otherwise that too will need replacement.

Cheers..............R.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd bet that the spline in the arm is worn out and likely so is the master spline that permits the arm to seat in only one position on the drive hub. First, get a flat blade screw driver and with the arm slightly raised into its arc, pull the blade away from the glass. You will see a small stainless steel tab at the drive hub end. Slip the screwdriver under the tab and slide it away from the arm. This will release the arm and you will be able to remove it. Best to have a replacement arm ready just in case. Hopefully the spline on the drive hub will still be useable otherwise that too will need replacement.

Cheers..............R.
Thanks, I'll have to pop it off and see just what failed in there. When the wipers are on that arm still flops around a little but you can hear something has lost it's grip inside. It sounds like a stripped gear or spline to me not knowing what the anatomy of the part is so I think you're right on with your assumption. Aside from this happening, the wipers didn't act right from the start of last summer. I dunno if it's the switch that's gone bad, but the intermittent settings don't work, they only move at full speed, and when you turn them off they pop up and down from their park position for a while until the car is turned off. Even then they'll sometimes keep doing their little pop up and down thing when the ignition is restarted. I have an extra switch so I'll swap that out and see what that does.....

·
Registered
734 Posts
The switch is a good bet for the on - off misbehaving. The switch is a relatively easy change. Also, there is a small circuit board and relay assembly on the wiper motor itself which is prone to failure. I would look for a good wiper arm now because you will likely need it. You might also need the left drive hub and linkage if it has been damaged by the failing arm. My wipers were also misbehaving in my 83 car when I first got it. Since I had a spare wiper motor, I swapped the motor out and it has been good as it should be ever since. Good luck with your tracking down and killing the wiper gremlins that seem to be all too common in our cars.

Cheers..........R.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
No bolt on the arm a 1995 is a whole different animal. There should be a metal clip, it can also be bad bushing on the rods underneath but luckily that's super easy to figure out because it's all there in the open when you pop the hood.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dope's car is a 1989 and totally different from the despised 1995 cars. I rest my case.

Cheers........R.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll have to check this out towards the end of the week. It has done nothing but downpour here the last few days......

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys. I managed to pop the wiper arm off (which was stupid easy to do now that I know to just pull that tab out) and the splines look intact. I noticed it was full of fine metal shavings though and without the arm I can spin the driving spline with minimal effort. I would assume this isn't supposed to move at all or if anything only a little bit so I'm lead to believe my problem is down a bit further. Any thoughts? Haven't taken anything else apart yet.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
THe metal shavings are probably coming from the matching splines inside the end of the arm. As I said in previous post pop the hood and have a look. Everything is accessible from under there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts