Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XT5 Group-
I had a small crack in my XT5 windshield. It grew over the past two months, to about 8 inches in length. I went to the dealer today for my oil change, tire rotation, and asked the service adviser to look at it. He said it was not covered by warranty as there is a spider crack at the rest area of where the windshield wiper rests. He said a rock or hard object had to hit at that location to cause the crack, i countered that nothing has hit at that location, and it seemed odd that some rock or pebble would fly into that area when the wiper blade wasn't there. The service advisor quoted me $1300 to replace it. So I picked the car up and when I got in it, the windshield crack had grown by 18 inches toward the top of the car. I was not made aware of this when I spoke to the service advisor. I drove my car back to the dealership, and demanded to know why the crack had grown a full 18 inches while the car was in their care. They told me that since it was already damaged, there was nothing they could of done... i kindly reminded them, that i park the car in the garage at home and in the garage at work, so maybe they should of parked in the garage.
The warranty manager came out and told me it wasn't the dealerships fault and that he cannot park all the cars they work on inside. after 20 mins of back and forth, without it going anywhere, I was told that I would need to get GM windshield glass because the cameras in the rear view mirror sometimes work with other glass besides GM and sometimes the glass doesn't work with the cameras. Has anyone needed to replace with OEM glass and had to have the cameras re calibrated? I was told I need to have cameras recalibrated when the new wind shield goes in, and they can only guarantee the cameras to recalibrate when i use GM glass? Is this true? Anyone else have this happen to a XT5??

·
Registered
XT4 Black Sport
184 Posts
Had the windshield replaced at my home by a "windshield express" company.
$100 deductible, no issues.
Took them two or three weeks to get the windshield.
If I had not replaced it the car would probably not pass state inspection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4 months after we purchased our 2018 XT5, the windshield started looking distorted & blurry. Took it back to the Dealer and they confirmed the Windshield was defective and will be replaced under warranty. They had to order a new OEM replacement. It arrived in less than 1 week. The Glass company came to the Dealership to do the replacement. A discussion of Camera Calibration between the Dealer/Service Manager had come up. Everything worked perfectly. No Calibration was needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,708 Posts
OP. Everything the dealership told you is correct. Windshield chips and cracks aren’t their fault or a defect. They are not warranty. They can’t park every car inside and besides that probably would not have helped much. Windshield cracks are known to grow until they reach the edge of the glass.
Some aftermarket windshields are ok, but you are more likely to have a problem with cameras, HUD, and rainsense wipers. OEM windshield replacement is pretty much the only way to guarantee proper operation and long lasting quality.
Ask you insurance if they’ll cover the windshield replacement. Ask them for OEM. If they won’t do OEM, pay the difference for OEM. That’s my recommendation

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,696 Posts
XT5 Group-
I had a small crack in my XT5 windshield.
When you first noticed the crack, you should have contacted your insurance company. They want to repair as soon as possible so a crack does not grow which is inevitable. If a chip can be filled to prevent growth, insurance will cover with no cost to you. After it is ignored and the crack grows, the most you will pay is your comprehensive deductible. Cadillac has no responsibility...that is why you have insurance.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
825 Posts
I had a crack in my SRX. Replaced with aftermarket at my GM dealer (was already in for other bodywork - great bodyshop there). The aftermarket meets all GM specs per original and works fine w/ the camera and Rainsense. Insurance usually demands OE-equivalent, not true OEM. You have to pay the difference to upgrade. My dealer even said not necessary, they would test camera and Rainsense and calibrate as needed. Nothing needed.

If no aftermarket equivalent or aftermarket is non-compatible the dealership was going to explain to insurance that it must be OEM. But turned out it worked fine.

Max

·
Registered
2018 XT5
711 Posts
The mirror camera has nothing to do with the front windshield. He is full of it. But either do you as unless it’s a pressure crack do to being installed wrong Ora screw to tight in the near vicinity you're out of luck.

XT5 Group-
I had a small crack in my XT5 windshield. It grew over the past two months, to about 8 inches in length. I went to the dealer today for my oil change, tire rotation, and asked the service adviser to look at it. He said it was not covered by warranty as there is a spider crack at the rest area of where the windshield wiper rests. He said a rock or hard object had to hit at that location to cause the crack, i countered that nothing has hit at that location, and it seemed odd that some rock or pebble would fly into that area when the wiper blade wasn't there. The service advisor quoted me $1300 to replace it. So I picked the car up and when I got in it, the windshield crack had grown by 18 inches toward the top of the car. I was not made aware of this when I spoke to the service advisor. I drove my car back to the dealership, and demanded to know why the crack had grown a full 18 inches while the car was in their care. They told me that since it was already damaged, there was nothing they could of done... i kindly reminded them, that i park the car in the garage at home and in the garage at work, so maybe they should of parked in the garage.
The warranty manager came out and told me it wasn't the dealerships fault and that he cannot park all the cars they work on inside. after 20 mins of back and forth, without it going anywhere, I was told that I would need to get GM windshield glass because the cameras in the rear view mirror sometimes work with other glass besides GM and sometimes the glass doesn't work with the cameras. Has anyone needed to replace with OEM glass and had to have the cameras re calibrated? I was told I need to have cameras recalibrated when the new wind shield goes in, and they can only guarantee the cameras to recalibrate when i use GM glass? Is this true? Anyone else have this happen to a XT5??

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,696 Posts
The mirror camera has nothing to do with the front windshield. He is full of it.
You may not be aware of the camera the dealer is talking about. Your Platinum has a camera above the license plate to the rear for the panoramic rear view mirror. He was talking about the camera facing the front, through the windshield in front of the rear view mirror that recognizes the lane markers for Lane Keep Assist, and perhaps other functions such as headlight auto high/low.

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,390 Posts
I had my XT5 windshield replaced, due to a crack because of a stone chip, and I was able to get a GM OEM windshield because thank goodness there was no other cheaper aftermarket windshields available at that time.

Please allow me to share a couple stories ... when I had a SRX I had gone through hoops with an aftermarket installer to try and get a GM OEM windshield. I was telling my story to the dealer's Service Mgr. about my SRX's windshield dilemma, that is when he told me his story. He told me they had an SRX that they took in on trade and when they resold it, the new owner came back in and said that something was wrong for the rain sensing wipers because they didn't work properly. After trying to adjust the sensor the service department finally realized that the open spot in the windshield for the camera was off just enough to block the sensor and caused it not to work properly. He said that the dealership had to eat the cost of a new GM OEM replacement windshield to get it to work properly because they had taken the vehicle in on trade. He said they now look for the GM Logos whenever they take in any new trades.

Back to the story about my SRX windshield install which evolved Safelite company. I learned a lesson the hard way after the Safelite scheduler told me that they had an OEM "equivalent" windshield in stock. I told her that was great and that I wanted an OEM windshield with the GM Logo on it. She said we use OEM "Equivalent" windshields and scheduled a time and place to replace my cracked windshield. When the installer came out to replace the windshield at my place of work I repeated my request to the installer that I wanted a GM OEM Windshield replacement. The installer never said a word to me other than I will call you after it is installed.... he then proceeded to install their OEM "Equivalent" windshield.

When I came out to inspect the completed job I looked closely for the GM Logo and guess what? There was NO GM LOGO on the windshield. :mad2: I immediately called them back and got into a discussion with the scheduler about what is the difference between a GM OEM windshield and their OEM "Equivalent" windshield. She kept saying that they were both the same and made by the same manufacture I said even if they were both made by the same manufacture I said that didn't matter to me because I had wanted the GM logo on the windshield!!! That's when I told her that I needed to talk to her boss. I got a call back later and the manager that I talked to quickly agreed with me on what really was an OEM windshield. She then told me that she would tell her scheduler to order me a new GM OEM replacement windshield.

So... that is why I will always request that any parts I want or need I will always ask for GM OEM original parts!

·
Registered
2017 XT5
900 Posts
My advice is to avoid Safelite. They came out to my office to replace the glass on my Mercedes-Benz CLK550. It was a nice day and I needed a break, so I stayed out and watched. it was two guys - the installer, and a trainer/supervisor observing him. They use this wire and a crank/pulley system to cut out the old glass seal. I could see that he had it looped around a wiring harness at the top of the glass and was going to cut it, so I told the supervisor that they needed to fix it. He pretty much told me that I did not know what I was talking about and not to bother them. As the cutter wire was about an inch away from destroying the wiring harness, I yelled at them to stop and showed them where the wire was going. They begrudgingly re-positioned it.

They installed "OEM equivalent" glass made in China that was distorted and chipped very easily. I was not very happy at all with their service and would not use them again. But, they were much better than the next time I had it replaced by The Glass Doctor. They damaged the dash and A-pillar trim, and the first time i went to adjust the rearview mirror, it and a half-dollar side chunk of glass that it was glued to came off in my hand. They ended up breaking the mirror and its trim on the next replacement. It was a comedy of errors. Next time, I'm going to the dealer. i don't know about my Cadillac dealer, but my Mercedes-Benz dealer outsources to a local independent glass company that's been in business for about 100 years and does a great job.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
711 Posts
He said the camera for the rear view mirror. That camera is in front of the rear view mirror inside that housing attached to the glass
You may not be aware of the camera the dealer is talking about. Your Platinum has a camera above the license plate to the rear for the panoramic rear view mirror. He was talking about the camera facing the front, through the windshield in front of the rear view mirror that recognizes the lane markers for Lane Keep Assist, and perhaps other functions such as headlight auto high/low.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum
104 Posts
I just had one replaced on a 2017 XT5 due to a large chip & crack where the impact looked like a large bolt. The cracks radiated out and within about an inch of the lane keep assist front looking camera and rain sensor. This car has only 9,000 miles on it and it's like-new inside and out.

I told my insurance company that I would only accept a GM OEM replacement and the work performed at a Cadillac dealer to have the camera/sensor alignment checked after the install. They fully agreed (State Farm) and then obtained 3 quotes including the dealer I identified and settled with me for what I thought was fair- about 90% of the highest quote and above the dealer's quote. I knew the dealer uses a glass company, but the service manager told me they are there all the time replacing windshields on Cadillacs.

The dealer had to order the glass and that took 5 days (plus Memorial Day holiday weekend) but the install itself was quick. I had lots of concerns due to the suede pillars and leather dash plus the HUD (Platinum edition). When I went to pick it up you would never know it was replaced. Genuine GM glass, the HUD is crystal clear, the Lane Keep Assist and Pedestrian camera seems the same but I haven't driven in rain to test the rain sensor. No problems with the surfaces on the interior trim and dash. Overall it went better than I expected.

Oh yes, the rear-view camera display in the rear-view mirror still works perfectly, although it's something I would rarely use.

Glass cost was $602.98
Installation including camera/sensor checks was $162.50

NEW GM Glass (May 2019):

The damage to the original:

Original Windshield Information:

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,390 Posts
The stories above show you that there are many reasons why you should insist on getting a genuine GM OEM replacement part!

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,750 Posts
If there is NOT any sign of of a Chip/Flake/Dot of glass damage other than a line in the glass, it can and will be covered as a stress crack. You will need to look very carefully, it is usually hard to see where the object hit the glass. If they cannot show you a chip/flake etc., its stress to me. Had this happen on a 2013 SRX.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 2019 XT4
147 Posts
I had a 2011 SRX that developed a horizontal crack beginning at the A pillar. The dealer replaced the windshield under warranty as they determined it was a stress crack. Can't beat a good dealer; Gold Coast Cadillac.

·
Registered
CT6 Platinum White Tri-coat with Super Cruise
655 Posts
My advice is to avoid Safelite. They came out to my office to replace the glass on my Mercedes-Benz CLK550. It was a nice day and I needed a break, so I stayed out and watched. it was two guys - the installer, and a trainer/supervisor observing him. They use this wire and a crank/pulley system to cut out the old glass seal. I could see that he had it looped around a wiring harness at the top of the glass and was going to cut it, so I told the supervisor that they needed to fix it. He pretty much told me that I did not know what I was talking about and not to bother them. As the cutter wire was about an inch away from destroying the wiring harness, I yelled at them to stop and showed them where the wire was going. They begrudgingly re-positioned it.

They installed "OEM equivalent" glass made in China that was distorted and chipped very easily. I was not very happy at all with their service and would not use them again. But, they were much better than the next time I had it replaced by The Glass Doctor. They damaged the dash and A-pillar trim, and the first time i went to adjust the rearview mirror, it and a half-dollar side chunk of glass that it was glued to came off in my hand. They ended up breaking the mirror and its trim on the next replacement. It was a comedy of errors. Next time, I'm going to the dealer. i don't know about my Cadillac dealer, but my Mercedes-Benz dealer outsources to a local independent glass company that's been in business for about 100 years and does a great job.

IMO, Safelike uses the cheapest offshore glass they can find and bill the Ins Company (or you) premium prices.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
900 Posts
The only reason i used them was because my insurance provider really pushed them. They made all the calls and setup the service. Never again!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XTS (Cadillac Certified)
15 Posts
I can't speak to the sensors or camera, but can attest that windshield cracks have a mind of their own and can in fact grow while the vehicle is stationary or driven very little.

I've had 3 windshields replaced in the last few years - Cadillac XTS; Lincoln Continental and BMW 750iL.

They all started out as either a chip or a few-inch line crack (all unfixable, though - replacement needed). I kept driving each one and the cracks grew and "spidered out" across the windshield. On the Lincoln, the small few-inch line-crack spread half-way across the windshield within a week while the car sat in the garage. I have no idea how/why it grew in length so much while the car sat stationary.

It really is a moot point that the crack grew in size while at the dealership anyway. The windshield had to be replaced when you originally brought the car in, so it doesn't really matter that the crack grew in size while the car was in dealer possession.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to Safelite last year for a replacement my cost was $0.00, the insurance covered it all.
I have a 2019 XT5 and need the front windshield replaced. I was wondering about Safelite and their service. You mentioned your insurance covered the entire cost of the windshield and you had zero out of pocket? Im wondering if I should file on mine or just pay out of pocket? I have $250 glass deductible

1 - 20 of 30 Posts