Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO,

My windshield wiper fluid doesn't shoot out. I don't know if it ever did, but there's water in the tank and the hoses are attached etc. what's up with it not working?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just tested if any of the hoses are clogged. NO. put my finger over the little sucker thing that gets the water out of the tank, and yes i could feel it sucking trying to get water, but it doesn't come out of the hoses that shoot it to the windshield.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Then it is leaking somewhere....... Cracked hose....... Put water in it, and run it for a while and see if/where it leaks......

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
The nozzles themselves could be clogged as well. Make sure they are good too!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they're not. I unplugged the hose to the actual nozzles, and you would see water coming out of it, but it's not. I don't think there is a leak, because the fluid level stays consistant.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im saying there could be a crack in a hose and it could be leaking..... wether or not it goes to the ground....... Or an insect or something like that could have made a home.......

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
My suggestion would be to remove the existing hoses and go to like a Home Depot and get the same size hozing and 'rewire' the washer fluid lines. That may be easier than all this guesswork IMHO

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But fluid does not shoot out if you unplug it from the fitting from the nozzle??? (not having it shoot out the nozzle)......

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elwesso said:
But fluid does not shoot out if you unplug it from the fitting from the nozzle??? (not having it shoot out the nozzle)......
nope, no shooting out of the nozzles.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think there is some miscommunication going on, so let me do a quick recap.....

When you unplug the hose from the motor, it sprays (so the motor is good)...... When you plug the hose back into the pump, it gues but nothing comes from the nozzles...... What happens when you unplug the hose feeding the nozzles??? Any spay-age???

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
elwesso said:
I think there is some miscommunication going on, so let me do a quick recap.....

When you unplug the hose from the motor, it sprays (so the motor is good)...... When you plug the hose back into the pump, it gues but nothing comes from the nozzles...... What happens when you unplug the hose feeding the nozzles??? Any spay-age???
Ok, i put my finger over the suction hose that goes into the tank of fluid, and feel a little pressure. I put it back in. I unplug the hoses from the actual pump that go to the nozzles that squirt out the water onto the windshield... Nothing.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
Ok, i put my finger over the suction hose that goes into the tank of fluid, and feel a little pressure. I put it back in. I unplug the hoses from the actual pump that go to the nozzles that squirt out the water onto the windshield... Nothing.
Well if you remove the hoses from the pump and get nothing then you need a new washer pump!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
and thus it'll never work again....
How do you figure? Just replace the pump!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2dfx said:
How do you figure? Just replace the pump!
Because I don't care enough to spend money on it. Maybe some other time when I need it. I coasted my car around barily able to see though the windshield because it had a huge layer of dust on it, and I was fine.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im sure you could get creative and rig something up...... Maybe get a marine bilge pump, and then hook it up to the nozzles...... A pump is like 19........

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I've been watching this thread just to see where it was going. I'm not that familiar with 60's vintage Caddys but as I recall, the pump is a mechanical unit located on the front of the wiper motor. Those pumps are notorious for going bad. They're cheap and easy to replace or you COULD replace the whole system with an aftermarket inline electric pump and a switch.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
This happened to my 75 Deville, I replaced the pump and it worked fine, then I opened up the old pump to look at it and it turned out it was blocked by a piece of plastic. This doesn't really help, but I'm just saying..

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Then you may just try and take apart the pump and clean it out!!!! At worst you'll have replace the pump, so at least trying wouldnt hurt......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts