Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the windshield on my CTS has hair like scratches all over it and when its night time and headlights hit it it almost makes it a pain in the butt to see out of... I called the dealer and they said something like $300 to $400 for NON OEM glass and $600 to $700 for OEM... What do you guys think???

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Some cities use sand in the winter for traction, the sand gets thrown-up to the window and the wipers scratch the glass. Call a few indepenant shops and get pricing, ask one shop if they care to undercut the other. Be sure to get a warranty on leaks and ask what type of weather strips they use.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Is there no product that can be used to polish the windshield to remove minor scratches and pitting?

-GT

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering the same thing before I go out and shell at least a few $100 on a new windshield... Also is OEM glass that much better then non OEM glass?? does it matter??

·
Registered
They should make a new model name for mine but I guess a CTS
271 Posts
Griots Garage has a product to do that and also OEM and NON-OEM are the same quality just one says cadillac

·
Registered
07 CTS w/ performance pkg, 18" wheel pkg
132 Posts
Most insurance companies will repair a windshield chip for free. But I'm not sure about this. Worth a call to ask I guess.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah but mine doesnt have any chips just hairline scratches all over...SUCKS.. Like someone rubbed a brillo pad all over the windshield at night is when you really see it..

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
glass does not scratch very easily. i cannot even imagine how that happened. sand wont do it. replacing it is probably your only option. non oem.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it seems everyone is saying go with the NON OEM even the dealer said the NON OEM is just as good.. And way cheaper... About $300 for my window installed... Another question? Is it better to get this done through the dealer or better to go through a glass place? What would you guys recommend??

·
Registered
2016 CTS4 Black
46 Posts
Check with your insurance company. I've had windshields replaced in the past due to pitting. On my last car the original windshield had 90,000 miles of road wear and it was distracting at night when lights hit it. I told the ins. co. that even though there were no deep chips or cracks it was a safety issue. They replaced it with no trouble. The ins. co.s all have deals with the large glass installers. They would probably pay under $200 to have your windshield replaced. Your problem sounds like a legit safety issue. Call them. You pay good money for them to handle things like this.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
what state are you in? i know some states will replace your windshield for free, due to what the roads are made of...i know FL, AL, and NC do it for sure...

·
Registered
CTS
303 Posts
Yeah it seems everyone is saying go with the NON OEM even the dealer said the NON OEM is just as good.. And way cheaper... About $300 for my window installed... Another question? Is it better to get this done through the dealer or better to go through a glass place? What would you guys recommend??
I would chip the glass and get a free replacement.

·
Registered
They should make a new model name for mine but I guess a CTS
271 Posts
id just use glass polish from griots garage if they tell u ur gonna have to eat it and also how do you get nc to replace your glass for free

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chipping allows for the insurance to replace it from what I'm gathering right?? I'm in Illinois do they replace free here? Who are the glass guys? I also want to make sure the new windshield is warrantied just in case it leaks... The help is much appreciated guys!!!!

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
contact your insurance company to see if your state will replace it for free...i know when i was in FL and NC they replaced windshields for me for free. i just called my insurance company, told them i got a chip in my winsdshield and they set up an appointment for a glass guy to come to me and change it out...i didnt pay my deductible or pay the glass guy. my insurance has never gone up because of this. the reason why some states pay for this, is because of the material they use to make the roads with.

·
Registered
07 CTS w/ performance pkg, 18" wheel pkg
132 Posts
I would try the a fore mentioned polish first. Otherwise any glass shop worth their salt will warranty their work. Really no need to worry about that. FWIW, $300.00 for a new windshield is a deal!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Not to mention being totally dishonest, a big problem in America, it wouldn't work because they only repair chips, they don't replace the windshield.
I refrained from saying what I wanted to say, becuase of the new forum rules. But in my opinion, I think its hugely disgusting when someone openly suggests ripping people off, whether its a friend or a big faceless company.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NO i will not attempt to fraud my insurance I will pay the few hundred and have it replaced as I dont think the glass polish is going to work....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts