·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '08 CTS has a damaged windshield.

What is best OEM or After Market?

OEM cost is @ $800.
After Market is @ $210.

Insurance coverage pays either way, minus an out-of-pocket deductible.

I have read and was told (mostly by the glass company) that there is no difference between the two other than the GM logo.

I also have read that OEM is better for safety reasons, quality, size, fit, finish, etc.

So Forum readers weigh-in. I can't see wasting the insurance company money on the other hand I do not want a sub-quality windshield.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If you're still paying the same amount, then go for the GM windshield. That way if you decide to sell, it's not an indication of having been replaced. Otherwise, as I understand it, as long as it's from a reputable manufacturer, the quality is the same. I could be wrong but I hope not, as I had mine replaced last year.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I suspect that the GM windshield is as good as it gets while some aftermarket glass might be just as good, some could also be of lessor quality. However, I've had several windshields replaced over the years with aftermarket glass and never had a problem not related to poor installation. Given the no-cost choice I'd go with GM.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
OEM, Safelite, whatever. Many "OEM" GM windshields/auto glass pieces are marked "Made in Canada". So are many "aftermarket" windshield/glass items. Take your pick.

Never had a problem with over a dozen Safelite installations both at home and in the shop. Two Taurus and an F-150 windshield, done right here in the driveway.

(Matter of fact, the STS has a Safelite RainSense windshield - nary a problem. Dealership work, condition of sale, warranty, cracks. Installed in 11/05.)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Windshield replacement used to be N/C with comprehensive insurance in NY, but in recent years they started counting glass replacement against us.
Greedy beady-eyed beancounting bloodsucking insurance companies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts