Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wife and I went to the drive-in and of course the battery went down because we were playing the radio, Windows going up and down due to wind blowing or not and seats being adjusted a lot.

Afterwards we got a jump from the dud on a golf cart with a battery booster and now the seats do move up and down but the Memory feature isn't working and the Power windows will not work. the light comes on to lock the rear windows
I see that the Power Seats and Power Windows both have "Circuit Breakers" in the fuse box under rear seat. they are both 30A and identical so I swapped them and the same problem exists.

I also tried unplugging the battery for about an hour and the problem still exists

Went to O'Rielly and they don't carry it and suggested Radio Shack...Really Radio Shack.

Should replacing these fix the problem?
Do we really have to go th radio Shack for car parts?
any other Ideas on what could be the problem?
according to the Owners Manual the circuit breakers should reset after every thing is normal.
Help

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
Re: Windows and memory seat went out together 98 Seville STS

Not sure what parts you are trying to replace, but I'd suspect a weak battery.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts

The Wife and I went to the drive-in and of course the battery went down because we were playing the radio, Windows going up and down due to wind blowing or not and seats being adjusted a lot.

Afterwards we got a jump from the dud on a golf cart with a battery booster and now the seats do move up and down but the Memory feature isn't working and the Power windows will not work. the light comes on to lock the rear windows
I see that the Power Seats and Power Windows both have "Circuit Breakers" in the fuse box under rear seat. they are both 30A and identical so I swapped them and the same problem exists.

I also tried unplugging the battery for about an hour and the problem still exists

Went to O'Rielly and they don't carry it and suggested Radio Shack...Really Radio Shack.

Should replacing these fix the problem?
Do we really have to go th radio Shack for car parts?
any other Ideas on what could be the problem?
according to the Owners Manual the circuit breakers should reset after every thing is normal.
Help
I go to the Drive in every other weekend in the summer in the 2000 Seville
stay for both showings so about 4 and half hours of just being at the AC on he key in turned without running and i never have trouble with the battery so i would also suggest maybe a battery could be the culprit

is it just the driver door window thats not working or is it all windows not working ?
and how about the passenger side power seat is that working question
you say the light comes on for the window switch to lock the rear windows correct

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I go to the Drive in every other weekend in the summer in the 2000 Seville
stay for both showings so about 4 and half hours of just being at the AC on he key in turned without running and i never have trouble with the battery so i would also suggest maybe a battery could be the culprit
The Battery is showing 14.1 Volts I have had it checked as good

is it just the driver door window thats not working or is it all windows not working ?
and how about the passenger side power seat is that working question
you say the light comes on for the window switch to lock the rear windows correct
none of the up down buttons work on any door for any window.
Yes the light comes on for the window switch to lock the rear windows

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts

Check the battery when the car is off not running you should be putting out 14.1 with the vehicle off, but it sounds like a fuse/relay or the bad battery notion again, check the battery and see how old it is

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Check the battery when the car is off not running you should be putting out 14.1 with the vehicle off, but it sounds like a fuse/relay or the bad battery notion again, check the battery and see how old it is
where would I find the Fuse Relay?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts

I would think if it where the fuse relay for all the windows not to work at all and for it to be the window switches on each door that doesnt work
then the lock buttons would not work eithere
so that would mean the rear and front went out at the same time for the front door modual and the rear door Modual

i was going to say if it where just the switch on the drivers door not working
that maybe the switch was bad but then again the memory switch would have gone bad at the same time

Did the OP say if he pulled any codes at all i don't think i saw that in his post

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I would think if it where the fuse relay for all the windows not to work at all and for it to be the window switches on each door that doesnt work
then the lock buttons would not work eithere
so that would mean the rear and front went out at the same time for the front door modual and the rear door Modual

i was going to say if it where just the switch on the drivers door not working
that maybe the switch was bad but then again the memory switch would have gone bad at the same time

Did the OP say if he pulled any codes at all i don't think i saw that in his post
The only thing listed in the way of fuses is a 30Amp "Circuit Breaker" located under the back seat is there another fuse/relay I could check?
The Power Locks still work
Memory Switch did go bad at the same time
Codes were related to another problem with the car
IPM B1310, 1340, & 1341
RSS C1738

·
Registered
7,705 Posts

The only thing listed in the way of fuses is a 30Amp "Circuit Breaker" located under the back seat is there another fuse/relay I could check?
The Power Locks still work
Memory Switch did go bad at the same time
Codes were related to another problem with the car
IPM B1310, 1340, & 1341
RSS C1738
waht do those cods me do you know how to go to the sticky to find out what they mean ?

hmm if the door lock buttons work then i don't think it would be a bad Door Modual and when i was looking at fuses a few weeks ago for a door lock issue
only found one fuse for the front door Modual and 1 for the rear door Modual
so if your locks are working i don't think the fuse would be a problem

now do the buttons on the other doors work ? i mean if you go to the other 3 doors and you use the buttons from them to try and open the window do they work ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

now do the buttons on the other doors work ? i mean if you go to the other 3 doors and you use the buttons from them to try and open the window do they work ?
No the Windows don't move from any door
Codes Meaning:
B1310 - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Failure
B1340 - Air Mix Door One Movement Fault
B1341 - Air Mix Door Two Movement Fault
C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND

Volts with car off is 12.3

·
Registered
7,705 Posts

now its he Memory switch that is bad correct the power seats still work correct ?

when you changed or swapped the fuse you said the old fuse looked good ?
or did it look bad ? pull the fuse and see if its burnt or cracked
i had one time the Powerr window switch for the front passenger door had a short in it and it kept blowing the fuse out and i spent 3 days before i realized that it kept blowing fuses
then i took it in and they told me that switch was bad replaced the switch with one from a junkyard and it worked fine
but whyll i twas blowing the switch fuse for the door modual it was also since it ran of the same modual front and back have there own but not each door
so it was causing the front one to not work also when it blue
see if your blowing a fuse perhaps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

now its he Memory switch that is bad correct the power seats still work correct ?

when you changed or swapped the fuse you said the old fuse looked good ?
or did it look bad ? pull the fuse and see if its burnt or cracked
Yes just the memory switch isn't working

There isn't a place to see if the circuit breaker is blown or not it is inside of a metal case about half the size of the relays

both Circuit breakers for Power Windows and power seats look sorta like this only smaller leads

·
Registered
7,705 Posts

I know for me it was the switch that went bad and kept blowing the but it was just the one for the front 2 doors moduals
not the rear and you have the problem with the front and rear
i don't think atleast i wouldnt think
that all the switches would go bad at one time

perhaps there is someone here that has had a similar experience or someone who can recommend something els perhaps
just if there is power going to the switch witch it sounds like and your door lock switch works
its just the memory buttons that don't and the windows that won't open

how about your mirror's do they work ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

how about your mirror's do they work ?
Yes they work fine
I have tried some diagnostics by taking the circuit breakers and swapping them out and in either case in order for the power seats to work it has to have one of them in it doesn't matter which one so that tells me it is not the circuit breakers because they do work no matter which one you put in. but the memory function just beeps and power windows will not work at all.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts

Check fuse #3 in the rear fuse box.

With separate power and control circuitry and with circuit breakers swapped, a control problem is likely.

Check fuses #3 and #5 in the rear fuse box.

Any chance something was spilled in the driver door master control that night?

Both the door lock and memory switches connect directly to the window/mirror master control yet you report that the locks everywhere work normally, that the "window lock" indicator glows and no DTCs related to the simple dedicated one-wire bus system that carries both window and lock functions.

By the factory troubleshooting, it's time to use a Tech-II to check data from the master window switch. Would be a great time to have a known good swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Check fuse #3 in the rear fuse box.

With separate power and control circuitry and with circuit breakers swapped, a control problem is likely.

Check fuses #3 and #5 in the rear fuse box.

Any chance something was spilled in the driver door master control that night?

Both the door lock and memory switches connect directly to the window/mirror master control yet you report that the locks everywhere work normally, that the "window lock" indicator glows and no DTCs related to the simple dedicated one-wire bus system that carries both window and lock functions.

By the factory troubleshooting, it's time to use a Tech-II to check data from the master window switch. Would be a great time to have a known good swap.
Yea #3 and #5 were the first ones I checked and they are fine
I guess it's time to take the door apart
Thanks again for everyone's help
I will post a resolution when I have one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I got this help from a local Car expert
Your car was either jumped backwards with reverse polarity or the computers totally lost all their memory! Remove both cables again and this time hold them together for 5 minutes. This will wipe out the memory or lack of it then when you hook them back up.Styart the engine and allow it to run for 5 minutes before you try anything. If this works you are very lucky. No Radio Shack for car parts1! It will need to be scanned with a factory scan tool to reset and relearn all of the systems if the computers are not damaged. If you will look closely at the owners manual it shows a special hot lug where the engine is supposed to be jumped off. This avoids any of the computer systems.
I used the positive post and the nut on top of the strut to jump it
I have tried to put the cables together but I didn't wait the 5 minutes before I tried to get it to work again I will try that tonight and report.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts

Touching the cables together is a sort of "reboot". I don't think you need to touch them for more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok so I took the car to the Dealership and they say that the Door Modules are talking to the computer so that is not is but they "think" it could be the "Master Switch" and for $445 they will replace it and see if it is the case. What is the Master Switch? is it the up and down buttons?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts

The master switch would be the drivers door switch that controls all the windows and door locks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts