Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have had my truck for almost over four years now and it came with window tinting on the front windows

Now I have been told by multiple sources and a local tint shop in my area(which also does cop cars which btw are way over the limit)

Now today I was over the state line in Kentucky (been multiple times and never had a issue with the law) and as I turned off to a local business I look in the rear view to see a cop behind me(I am thinking WTF did I do??!?!?)
So I roll the window down before the cop walks up to the truck(I am still in shock and wondering why he pulled me over)
So he tells me to roll the window up slightly and whips out this small device and slips it over my window

I am thinking oh $hit he is going to give me flack over my window tint(he does) then he tells me to step out of the truck(I complied)then asks to frisk me(he asked if I had anything to hide I said no)

So while I am standing there(highly embarrassed and getting pissed because of how he acted as they first assumed I was drug dealer) he has my tags run and tells dispatch he didn't need backup(I am thinking what the hell do they think I am) he then asked what do I do(I promptly told him I was disabled and had a handicapped permit with papers to prove everything)
He then told me to get back in the truck and he let me go without giving me a ticket

I ask has anyone else had this happen(FYI I do know the tint laws in both Tennessee and Kentucky and my tint is legal)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm drive in fear of my tint in Michigan too. I bought my truck in Texas and they allow tint there. Michigan allows tint on rear windows only. Probably just time

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coal said:
Sounds like he didn't have anything else to do............................
Likely plus the assumption that I was a drug dealer I found that absurd and stupid

----------

MKT-EXT said:
I'm drive in fear of my tint in Michigan too. I bought my truck in Texas and they allow tint there. Michigan allows tint on rear windows only. Probably just time
They allow tint on the front but I am unsure of the legal level there

What got me was he didn't test the checker before he put it on my window so had he gave me a ticket I would have fought it tooth and nail just over that

It now has me second guessing tinting the top part of my windshield due to this(even if it's done legally)

----------

What pissed me off though was there was a Tahoe literally right across from me when he pulled behind me with darker tint then mine

Had he gave me a ticket I would have pointed it out to him and said if you give me a ticket give that one a ticket also then left after he issued the ticket to the other vehicle

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD
58 Posts
Even if your tint was illegal in another state. It doesn't matter. All your vehicle has to be is legal in the state in which it is registered. Once on a trip from Florida to New York a Virginia state trooper stopped me and my wife in my Stang. I was sleeping in the passenger side. He preceded to tell my wife that our tint was illegal. He took her license and registration to run it. While he was doing that, I called my brother who is a officer in FL. When he returned my brother, who was on speaker phone was telling me what to tell him. And what FL statute that proved that my tint was absolutely legal. He then just let us go.
When you're passing through any state you don't have to know the laws concerning your vehicle in those states. Just the laws in the state which your vehicle is registered.
Now, as for being pulled over, they really don't need a reason. They could just pull you over. Which amazes me to be honest. With how dangerous of a job that is. You would think that one wouldn't want to increase ones chances of being shot, by just pulling people over for the heck of it.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ your telling me
I have seen the local cops do some pretty crazy stuff in my area(like speed when they don't have the blue lights on)

Though I am related to the sheriff in my area so had the cop did anything I could have contacted him and had it cleared as he knows my tint is legal

But what amazed me was how he managed to catch up to me as I was already half way through town when he got me(I can't image the traffic laws he broke himself to do that silly stunt) then didn't prove the tint checker was properly calibrated

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
Drug dealer?!?!?! You're making an assumption of what someone else was assuming??

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Right after I got my Escalade a year or so ago and after watching TV and looking around locally I noticed what kind of people drive Escalades. I saw pimps, drug dealers, Mexican migrant workers, and God loving Christians. I'm not one of the first 3 but we may be out numbered and why you got profiled.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MrHolland said:
Drug dealer?!?!?! You're making an assumption of what someone else was assuming??
I wasn't the one who made that assumption it was the cop who did that
I listened to the radio conversion between him and another cop(could have been dispatch)

----------

N9LO said:
Right after I got my Escalade a year or so ago and after watching TV and looking around locally I noticed what kind of people drive Escalades. I saw pimps, drug dealers, Mexican migrant workers, and God loving Christians. I'm not one of the first 3 but we may be out numbered and why you got profiled.
I am also not one of the first three(and I let the cop know it)

I do know a school teacher who drives a escalade in my area

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
When you're passing through any state you don't have to know the laws concerning your vehicle in those states. Just the laws in the state which your vehicle is registered.
Now, as for being pulled over, they really don't need a reason. They could just pull you over. Which amazes me to be honest. With how dangerous of a job that is. You would think that one wouldn't want to increase ones chances of being shot, by just pulling people over for the heck of it.
I haven't found that to be true. Being prior military I had experience with living in different states and bringing your tags into another one. In CA you must be legal in that state to operate a vehicle no matter where the plates come from. One of my buddies coming from MD got pulled over by CHP about an hour into CA for his dark tinted pickup. His MD plates made no difference to the CHP. He was told he either removes it on the side of the road with the CHP watching or he doesn't move his vehicle.

As a civilian living in the D.C. area we have to deal with multiple states. In WV the state issues two license plates but only requires you to run the rear. In D.C. though, they can pull you over and cite you for not running two plates. D.C. law last I looked required you to run two plates if the issuing state issues two of them regardless of the number required when operating in your state. When I was researching various states to pick a residence I looked the license plate law up as well as I didn't want to put a front plate on my Vette.

After living in several states now what I have found is that a lot of them will ignore violations on tint and mirror decoration laws because it gives them an opening to pull you over for scrutiny. I lived in CA for 15 years and had light tint on my Caddys without any trouble. Back then Caddys were considered "old people cars" so they didn't get bothered much. My buddies with the same tint though in their Vettes and F-Bodies were pulled over several times for tint, often leading to questioning about something else. Some got fix-it tickets to have the tint removed, others didn't.

In VA a friend of mine got herself a DUI. The cop was sitting in a parking lot across the street from a bar where he saw her leave and pulled her over. When he pulled her over he explained to her that the pine tree air freshener hanging from her rear view mirror (anything hanging from the mirror in a moving vehicles is technically illegal) was the reason he stopped her. He then went right into asking her if she had done any drinking.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
I was always told that ignorance of the laws in a specific state is not a defense. If you are going to drive a motor vehicle in another state, you are responsible to follow those laws even if different than your home state.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I agree

Though my tint is legal so explain that one

Now I have looked and know the laws in the states I have traveled to(my tint is legal in both Kentucky and Virginia)

I always disconnect and remove my radar detector when traveling to Virginia (always)

I just never figured they would try to snag me over the tint(given I have been multiple times over the four years I have had my truck)

Little did the cop know that Tennessee tint laws are the same as Kentucky and Virginia(I have looked) and most cops in my area have illegal tint anyway
So I think he was up to no good personally as he was coming up with other excuses as to why they pull over people with tinted windows(yet there was a Tahoe in the same parking lot with darker tint then mine and he acted like he didn't see it)
They assumed at first that I was a drug dealer(which I promptly told the cop I wasn't)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
if you told the cop there someone else speeding when you were speeding he would say well I got you not him. luck of the draw. and as far as tints. new york has 75% light passing through to be legal. I've always had 5% light coming through and been pulled a few times but with a family in the force you get out of it. when i see cops i roll my windows down 100% of the time and If i was pulled over i roll all 4 down and put my hands out the window so he can see I'm not hiding anything (gun). you just had a dick cop i wonder what percent you have i guarantee its 20% which isn't that dark.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
godsdiablo said:
if you told the cop there someone else speeding when you were speeding he would say well I got you not him. luck of the draw. and as far as tints. new york has 75% light passing through to be legal. I've always had 5% light coming through and been pulled a few times but with a family in the force you get out of it. when i see cops i roll my windows down 100% of the time and If i was pulled over i roll all 4 down and put my hands out the window so he can see I'm not hiding anything (gun). you just had a dick cop i wonder what percent you have i guarantee its 20% which isn't that dark.
I have had the first cop(who claimed I was speeding) say that line(really made me feel like a fool there)

Thing to it was I was in traffic so the only thing he had to go on was the tint(which was a bs claim anyway)not speeding or wreck less driving(which was why I was shocked as to why he stopped me in the first place even though he treated me nice and respectful)

I talked to a tint shop and they told me that the tint was legal per Tennessee state law
I figured why he did that was due to it being late and when it's not real bright out(clouds or sun sitting) it makes my tint appear darker then it really is(Tennessee limit is 35% and Kentucky is the same)

I figured I would run into a cop one day who would assume my tint was darker then legal limit just didn't expect it to be while I was out of state(I have a cousin in law enforcement who is the county sheriff and everyone in the area knows it)

What cracked me up(of course I didn't laugh in front of the cop) was he claimed even they couldn't run with darker then 50% vlt tint(I have seen multiple cops in that area with way darker tint then mine) now that I found funny for sure
I still think the meter he used was out of spec as it showed 14 when he put it on my window(front driver's side)

I can try and snap a pic of the tint and upload it so you can see it

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here in Tennessee

Unless they have changed it and not told the tint shop they have the cars done(same shop I asked on my tint)

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
Window tint can easily be 5-10% off, depending on type and manufacturer.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrHolland said:
Window tint can easily be 5-10% off, depending on type and manufacturer.
I know and so can the meters that is used to measure it(hence why I told the cop it was legal tint as I was covering my a$$ even without papers from a shop stating it was legal)

I will be having the tint redone next month(it's peeling bad) and will get the proof from the shop in case this happens again(hopefully it doesn't)
I am going to have the top of the windshield done while I am at it(still keeping it legal though)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts