Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tint exemption? If so, is there some sort of special sticker one needs to put on the front windshield?

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,243 Posts
Only if your a private investigator in New York I know it has to be 28% front, SUVs and limos can have the back windows and rear tinted factory. The two fronts has to be 28%. In the last 3 years I gotten pulled over twice for the windows, I beat the tickets for the first time and I have a open case for the 2nd ticket. In the city you can be coming from west to east or vise versa the cop will stop you in the street and pull you over.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
In Pa if your doctor, any type doctor fills out a window tint exemption you get a certificate to keep in your car, you need a different one for each car and they have to be updated when you get a new car, i.e. they can not be transferred. I used to get these to keep in each car/truck, but have not been pulled over for tint in 25 years so I just keep the form in my cars/trucks just in case, but then again I am old.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Illinois rules are dumb now. They legalized tint to all windows, but cannot exceed 35% if you do front sides. You can do 5% on rear doors back but then you cannot have any driver side or passenger front tint. You can exceed that rule and do maximum of 5% all around (no tint to windshield) with an exemption that gives you a WT (window tint) signified license plate. This reduces the stops to show proof via carried documents. You can under no circumstance tint the windshield here at any percentage below the top 6" of the windshield.

That said, I run 35% on the windshield, 20% on driver and passenger front, and 5% on rear doors all the way back. Only been ticketed once in a full year. Fines are steep here but I like my tint so I stay at risk. It's a cash cow for them as max fine is 1500.00 and second occurrence can result in license suspension for failing to comply.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Sport
3 Posts
Illinois rules are dumb now. They legalized tint to all windows, but cannot exceed 35% if you do front sides. You can do 5% on rear doors back but then you cannot have any driver side or passenger front tint. You can exceed that rule and do maximum of 5% all around (no tint to windshield) with an exemption that gives you a WT (window tint) signified license plate. This reduces the stops to show proof via carried documents. You can under no circumstance tint the windshield here at any percentage below the top 6" of the windshield.

That said, I run 35% on the windshield, 20% on driver and passenger front, and 5% on rear doors all the way back. Only been ticketed once in a full year. Fines are steep here but I like my tint so I stay at risk. It's a cash cow for them as max fine is 1500.00 and second occurrence can result in license suspension for failing to comply.
I've seen his truck and is WICKED dark. but it does look good. I have 35% up front, and 5% all the way around... I didn't get the windshield done and have had no problems at all even with the strictest cops sitting right next to me at night and during the day..

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
7 Posts
I've got 5% on all windows including front drivers/passengers. I also have my windshield tinted at 40%... I've only had the car for about a month and a half, but have not gotten pulled over yet. Although unless it's raining/snowing, I typically roll the front windows down - especially when I see the police...

FYI - In Minnesota in an SUV you can tint anything behind the drivers/passengers front window as dark as you want - the 2 fronts need to be 50% or less, and nothing on the windshield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts