Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Sedan 2.0 Luxury/Brembo Package
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I stupidly used windex on passenger side dash above glove box. Ended up stripping the finish so now it looks dull :mad:I feel terrible. Any way to repair this please?

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Sedan 2.0 Luxury/Brembo Package
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,703 Posts
I don't like the "Armorall" type gloss products but that may be something to try. Maybe one of the Megiar's "mirror bright" products would work.

For any of these "gloss coating" type products, they all tend to attract/retain dust so they have to be applied somewhat frequently but they don't do anything irreversible. There are other permanent coatings but those could easily end up turning into a real mess that would be hard to undo so I wouldn't use those as a first resort. Or do like the unscrupulous used car lots and spray and wipe with a little WD-40 which puts a nice and very temporary shine while long-term, the petroleum in it (WD-40 is a mix of light petroleum distillates) degrades what is left of the finish.

I am surprised Windex did that since most modern materials are pretty ammonia resistant (at least in the concentration used in window cleaner). I found out the hard way many years ago that you don't want to clean the bakelite knobs used on vintage radio gear with ammonia based cleaners because it dissolves the gloss layer that is formed during the curing of this early plastic material and it will NEVER shine the same way again.

Rodger

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts
"Oo that's gonna leave a (shiny) mark." LOL I used some 303 on my dash pad after deep clean. The gloss glare was (and remains) a measurable downside to an otherwise gratifying little project. Unless the surface is relatively vertical facing the seat then I would recommend something more matte.

SAM_2022.JPG

SAM_2024.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts