Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang... very new to the platform and my first post.

I recently just bought a used 2014, with 40k on the odometer and all in real good condition. It wasnt until i really had a chance to play with it, that i noticed a pretty bothersome wind noise coming from passenger side windshield. Very surprising for a Cadillac, let alone a more 'premium' one. Curios if anyone else has had this problem (i.e. is it an underlying issue with this model), and how to correct it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi gang... very new to the platform and my first post.

I recently just bought a used 2014, with 40k on the odometer and all in real good condition. It wasnt until i really had a chance to play with it, that i noticed a pretty bothersome wind noise coming from passenger side windshield. Very surprising for a Cadillac, let alone a more 'premium' one. Curios if anyone else has had this problem (i.e. is it an underlying issue with this model), and how to correct it?

Thanks!
That is odd. Just got mine yesterday too.
I'll listen closer when I drive home today but it didn't seem to have any wind noise. But the windshield is pretty oddly attached on top with no rubber gasket. Perhaps the glue they use to seal it cracked on yours. If you manage to pin point where the noise comes from, you might be able to make a seal. But personally I'd take it in to the dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
131 Posts
Is the windsheild new? I had mine replaced a summer or two ago and had a terrible wind noise for the first two weeks.
When I had brought it back and complained about it, they removed and reinstalled the strips of body colored plastic that go up and down the sides of the windsheild after fiddling with the clips in an effort to make them grab tighter. This helped a bit.
After a week or two the putty used to attach the windshield to the frame must have settled in... I haven't heard the wind noise since.

Another thing to consider is that it MIGHT not be the windshield at all... I've noticed that sound insulation in our cars are so good that it insulates you from a lot on the outside but also traps sounds coming from the inside and bounces them back at your head. Things rattling in the cup holder or on the passenger seat will resonate off the windshield and SOUND like they're coming from the dash or A pillars when they actually aren't. So maybe one or more of your door gaskets need to be replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts... i'm taking it in to my local Caddy shop this weekend. I dont think the windshield has been replaced, based on the previous reports, but not entirely sure. The shop believes its the strips that line the pillars, not being fully in place... it certainly is a level of wind finding it's way through a gap somewhere.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,559 Posts
I had an ATS that did this because I had the windshield replaced do to deep gouges. It was a total of 3 replacements until it was right. I even went in after I was told they had a new glass for it to find out when I got there is was for a CTS and not an ATS. They leaked at the bottom edge of every windshield put in until the last time. I had to drive 10 miles to Cadillac for the replacement every time. Then I found out it was being done this time on the same road I lived on so I went right to them. They were really good and done the first time right. I won't have the windshield done at the dealer anymore. Ask to bring it to the shop of the company that does it for them. They take time in their garage and do it right under there controlled area. Not in a bay at the Caddy dealer. This is one lesson learned that was helpful. Ask to have it done at the garage of the vender that does it. They should have no problem with that since you are bringing it and picking it up. I even got a loaner dropped off there for me but it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had road noise. The doors were out of alignment. I've had to have this done 3 times in 70k miles already. After the alignment it's as quiet as a mouse, but after a few rough R/R crossings and a few pot holes they start getting noisy again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had road noise. The doors were out of alignment. I've had to have this done 3 times in 70k miles already. After the alignment it's as quiet as a mouse, but after a few rough R/R crossings and a few pot holes they start getting noisy again.
What does it take to “align” the doors? Mine seems more from the windshield pillar, but now I’m going to be hypersensitive to the doors. Do they do anything with the weather stripping?

·
Registered
591 Posts
No idea. Nothing was done to the stripping. They told me they've seen it before. I just remember being able to hear a lot of tire/road noise like the door wasn't closed all the way. I could not tell by looking at the door from the inside or the outside.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
131 Posts
My brother replaced all of the weather stripping around his doors on his BMW M3 and it's almost like the car is brand new (as far as wind noise is concerned... it still has all of the other problems you would associate with a BMW HAHAHA).
I tried using 303 Rubber Seal Protectant which is used primarily in aerospace applications. Several people on other boards (Corvette, etc.) swear by the stuff but I think any improvement I experienced was purely psychological to protect my fragile ego from feeling like an idiot for spending $40 on a small bottle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quick question, I noticed that my car makes a small whistle too while in light throttle. It usually kicks in at 2-4 psi of boost around 40-55 mph. I doubt that it’s the same. But when does your wind noise occur?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts