Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had such a big truck before...and parking it in the tight garage is a challenge. I have to park it all the way up, with the front tires right against the concrete slab in my garage. Do you think this will damage the tires having it pressed against the concrete? Thanks!

tire.JPG

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The weight of the entire truck is pressing down on one spot of the tires whenever it's parked. A little pressure from a curb isn't going to do a thing.

·
Registered
2007, 2008 CTS
77 Posts
you should be just fine. It's a good point that MC made earlier. There is a lot more force on each tire simply from the weight of the vehicle so a little pressure from the concrete slab won't hurt the tire. It's tough to see from the picture so I don't know if this is even a relevant, but make sure you don't leave the tire parked on top of the edge/corner of the slab, just like you shouldn't leave your tires on the concrete wheel stops in parking spaces. Bumping up against it is fine, but don't let the vehicle's weight rest on an edge/corner. This could make your tire develop flat spots or become out of round as time goes on.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I drive the truck in, I slowly drive it in until I feel it gently hit the concrete slab. The tires are not on top of the edge, just hitting against it. Thanks all for your input, it's just my OCD kicking in. I can try to park so that the tires are not against the edge, just a lot of running in and out of the truck to check. It's annoying that when I feel it nudge the edge, I put it on neutral, but sometimes, putting into neutral inches it back too much and I have to redo it. This truck is the largest vehicle I have ever driven, so I'm still learning.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
FirstEsv said:
When I drive the truck in, I slowly drive it in until I feel it gently hit the concrete slab. The tires are not on top of the edge, just hitting against it. Thanks all for your input, it's just my OCD kicking in. I can try to park so that the tires are not against the edge, just a lot of running in and out of the truck to check. It's annoying that when I feel it nudge the edge, I put it on neutral, but sometimes, putting into neutral inches it back too much and I have to redo it. This truck is the largest vehicle I have ever driven, so I'm still learning.
Is this in your garage? I had the chance to have one on my garage but wanted to fit a suburban if I needed to inside the garage.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this in your garage? I had the chance to have one on my garage but wanted to fit a suburban if I needed to inside the garage.
Yep, it's in my garage. When we built our house, I never thought about this before (now I know to never get this concrete slab built). We never had such a long vehicle before. For the next house I built, it's going to be an over-sized garage.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Even if you parked hard up against it, it wouldn't be an issue. Flat spots take a VERY long time to develop, as in months with the vehicle motionless.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if you parked hard up against it, it wouldn't be an issue. Flat spots take a VERY long time to develop, as in months with the vehicle motionless.
Thanks for the peace of mind.

I have 3 other cars and my husband has his own cars. Since I got the truck, over a month now, I have about 340 miles on it so far. I guess I should get a battery tender.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
98 Posts
Your rim should be fine. I have been told by a few mechanics though that putting you car in park while pushed up against a curb like this puts extra pressure on the transmission. Don't know the science... But I've heard it from a few different.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your rim should be fine. I have been told by a few mechanics though that putting you car in park while pushed up against a curb like this puts extra pressure on the transmission. Don't know the science... But I've heard it from a few different.
Hmm...interesting. I never heard of this before. I do use the parking brake if this matters.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
As for putting it in park up against the curb, it's the equivalent of parking on a very slight incline.

This whole thing is being WAY overthought.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why not just slowly nudge the bump, go into neutral and let off the brake and let the weight of the truck push you off the bump so there is no force on the tire. Then park.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's what my dad told me to do...which I've been trying practice. Sometimes going to neutral will push me off too much and I had to repeat it several times to get it right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts