Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
I don't see these being collector cars to anyone other than someone who likes them. Cars that increase in value seem to only be owned by anyone but myself. Something like an Allante may turn out to be valuable in the future but I don't know why anyone would buy anything but a '93.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I'll drink a :shiner: to that!

Reactions: 77CDV

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Your status has changed from Seville owner emeritus to current Seville owner. Congratulations!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
If I am not mistaken, '92 comes with 4.9L engine, right? Did you want to buy the 4.9L engine, or this was just the only clean 4th STS out there and that is why you bought it?

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
If I am not mistaken, '92 comes with 4.9L engine, right? Did you want to buy the 4.9L engine, or this was just the only clean 4th STS out there and that is why you bought it?
The dependable 4.9 makes this one particularly desirable.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I would add that in addition to value, rarity can be a factor.
The fun of collecting (I'm not just talking cars here) is finding that rare, hard to find version, regardless of it's resale value.
Many car enthusiasts take great pride in a car with rare or unusual options. Even if they don't make it a candidate for Barrett Jackson.

A '60's muscle car with a straight six and radio delete, that hasn't been modified, is a rare find. I've seen these displayed with great pride and even win prizes. Highly valuable? Not usually.
This, I love weirdly optioned cars and color combos.

Seems like with a lot of the muscle cars people will take that basic butternut yellow 6 cylinder Camaro, put a v8 in it, rally gagues, 4 on the floor, add the extrachrome trim, paint it grey(or if it was the 90's red), change the interior from tan to black, put some bigger wheels/tires on it, then it looks like the other 7 Camaros that came out for cruise night.

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
Jesda, do you have a link to your dealership?
I'd love to check out the inventory.
http://www.rippemotors.com/

We're still experimenting with the business. We were at another dealership which closed so we've moved on and partnered up with someone I know who started his own shop.

Recently acquired and/or not listed on the site:
99 LS400, 02 Yukon Denali, 03 Miata, 88 Subaru XT, 88 Subary Legacy Outback, 02 Camaro vert, 96 Cobra vert, Lexus RX, 08 Escalade AWD, Escalade hybrid, 08 Mini Clubman S, Porsche Cayman, and an M6.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
http://www.rippemotors.com/

We're still experimenting with the business. We were at another dealership which closed so we've moved on and partnered up with someone I know who started his own shop.

Recently acquired and/or not listed on the site:
99 LS400, 02 Yukon Denali, 03 Miata, 88 Subaru XT, 88 Subary Legacy Outback, 02 Camaro vert, 96 Cobra vert, Lexus RX, 08 Escalade AWD, Escalade hybrid, 08 Mini Clubman S, Porsche Cayman, and an M6.
When I was shopping for my fun car, I went to all dealerships on Oahu. I found two used car dealerships that had a very interesting business model and as a result they are very special and very successful. These two dealerships focus on fun, interesting, sports cars. They sell cars like 330ci, GTO, A4, Audi TT, A5, M3, MB AMG, V1, V2, XLR, Mustang GT, G8, Camaro SS, Challenger, Impreza, different models of Porsche, G35/G36 coupe, Z350/Z370, you name it.... Basically if someone on the island wants to buy a fun, sports car, he first goes to these two dealerships! Sure enough fun, sports car is just one segment of the market. However, there are tons of regular dealerships out there who sell regular cars. With this business model, these two dealerships could separate themselves from the rest and now they have a very unique condition. Most of their cars are overprices, but interestingly they have no problem in selling these overpriced cars!

Do you have thought about such strategies for your dealership? Focusing more on one special segment of the market, e.g. sports car, or affordable and desirable classic cars?

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
So far cars with a cult following (Jeeps), mint near-classics (70s), super clean late model (1998+) luxury cars, and even mundane mainstream sedans packaged with warranties and easy financing have generated a profit.

We're slowly honing in on our niche. Easy financing on reliable, everyday cars is a sure strategy but it would be less paperwork and much more fun to sell interesting, clean, or sought after modern classics.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
That 98 LS400 surely would've tempted me if I lived in the US. That generation of LS is becoming harder
to find, and is much more appealing to me than the bloated LS430.

Best of luck with your interest in the dealership ... have you left the world of books?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Welcome to the wide world of auto sales Jesda. I wonder how different it is being at a small lot like that, compared to being in a big dealership like I am. I'd imagine it's much more laid back and casual. Is that true?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
1,219 Posts
Are those bead locks in that Jaguars wheels, Jesda? If so I just never knew anything other than hard core offroaders had bead locks.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts