Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are certainly unique looking and have good performance parameters for a personal luxury car. Many think them to be really beautiful cars, but will they become collectible as they become more and more scarce in the used car marketplace? Do they ever show up at Cadillac shows?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,366 Posts
They'll probably never be worth anything much - there's nothing special to set them apart, and there were a skrillion made. Nice cars, but about as collectible as a Lexus 400.

I know a Crimson Pearl one that shows up at the Kent Island Cruisers shows for different benefit organizations - our VFD, for one. (Everything from Model T's to Ferraris to 60's muscle cars to Cadillacs is usually at the shows - fun - swap meets, too)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
If they ever do become collectable (doubtful), you, I and Sub won't be around to see it.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
What are some older Cadillacs that have gained true "classic" status that enthusiasts didn't think would make it?

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Chad, there are too many to count! No body would have thought the "gaudy" 1959 pancake top Cadillac would ever be desirable. They were throw aways all through the sixties and well into the seventies when the convertibles began to be bargain collectibles.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
The bustleback Seville has found itself a dedicated following after being hated by many for decades.

I just made a $7000 offer on a 92 STS.
7k? it better be brand new! and bright red or emerald green

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I think your $7,000 offer just guaranteed you a purchase. You're what we in this business call a "lay down"!

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
7k? it better be brand new! and bright red or emerald green
Seller is being a bit reluctant. It's pearl white with 49k and new tires.

I've bid 6k and he's reluctant to end the auction early (2 days to go), so I may just end up with it for a bit less.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
I expect they'll become "special interest automobiles". Not truely collectible in the sense of being worth mad money, but an old car with a devoted following.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ I agree Craig, I don't see them ever going for huge sums. Look at the Jaguars in the marketplace they are very desirable as a collector car but still bring less than restoration costs in the marketplace and plenty of good survivors can be had for really very little.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Since I was the one who found Jesda the '92 STS I think I should get some kind of prize. You can just drive to NC and let me drive it for a few days lol.

and as far as the thread title goes... yes I do think they will be collectibles. Most of the 4th Gen's I see now are ragged or have high miles. The others ended up in junkyards thanks to the HG problem. Cars with low miles will command a premium.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Condition wanes and miles rack up as a car ages. Cars in better condition than others fetch a better price. That's the way it is. None of this is Seville specific. The other common misconception is that rarity increases desirability or demand. It doesn't. There are plenty of worthless rare goods out there. Most of the current classic Cadillac's aren't all that desirable or sought after relative to many other vehicles of their time. You can still pick up good classic Cadillacs for little money. Why the 4th Gen would deviate from that norm is beyond me.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many of the "personal Luxury" cars of the last four decades have led their contemporaries into the leagues of collectible automobiles. By collectible, I don't mean they command "mega bucks," but rather they a following that cares about finding and buying good ones for the purpose of personal enjoyment.

I don't think it is a major mind twister to see why many personal luxury cars have become collectible cars. Two seat Thunderbirds as well as early Buick Rivieras, Cadillac Eldorados and convertibles, Olds Toronados and Starfires, sixties and even seventies Thunderbirds, to mention a few, have all been collected in recent years. It would seem to me that some twenty year old personal luxury cars from the nineties would begin to be collected both because of nostalgia, but in some cases because of their attractive design and performance. I would think the Eldorado and the Riviera of that period along with the Seville would begin gaining a following among enthusiast and collectors.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,735 Posts
Lots of cars that aren't the best-of-the-best have a following.

People collect Citation X-11s.

Not really a strange phenomenon.

·
Registered
1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4
773 Posts
I must confess, I have a bit of a liking for the X-11. I know it was a crap car, but I like it for some wierd reason. Not something I want to drive, but just to have in the corner of my garage to point at when people visit.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
By collectible, I don't mean they command "mega bucks," but rather they a following that cares about finding and buying good ones for the purpose of personal enjoyment.
I'm sure almost every car has a following. People collect anything, and as I've always said "there's an ass for every seat." Yeah, it's a nice car, but there's nothing special to really set it apart from anything else.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Good luck with your bid, Jesda.
I'm guessing you are valuing the dry Arizona pedigree, the 4.9 motor, and the low mileage on this Ebay car, thus the premium price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STS-/360690030143?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_743

The 2002 STS, with tint and newer STS wheels, would look amazing.

Hope you are successful in your bid.

The bustleback Seville has found itself a dedicated following after being hated by many for decades.

I just made a $7000 offer on a 92 STS.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts