Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Eldorado ECT Will not shift in to 4th gear. The car was running fine when I parked it. Now I get "Service Emission" Will not shift to 4th. I pulled 3 codes.P0300,P1108,1406
I have read it might a solenold (TCC Sol.Valve) turned off. for the shifting problem.
I am somewhat lost on what to do.
Thanks Preston

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
444 Posts
The TCC PWM Solenoid should not be confused with fourth gear. The solenoid engages a direct link to eliminate the normal slip (about 50 rpm) in fourth gear. Automatic transmissions are designed to slip a little in each gear. Your problem is not with the TCC solenoid. None of the codes you have are related to the transmission either.

You can check the fourth servo (cover, pin, piston, and seals) yourself pretty easy. There are three bolts holding the round cover on the back side of the transaxle. Underneath it you will find the various fourth servo parts. Inspect them for damage.

If the fourth servo is good then you are probably looking at a bad fourth band. Replacing the band requires a transaxle overhaul.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
On another thought, the Northstar system, which the 4T80E is part of, disables the 4th gear in certain code situations to protect the transmission, if you look up those codes and run through your diagnositic trees, you might find that as a result of setting this code, the pcm will disable the OD feature.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
I just looked up the code p0300 and it does disable the TCC.

Excessive exhaust emissions
If a cylinder misfires 15 times in 200 revolutions for 5 out of 16 200 revolution tests in each of two consecutive trips (engine run cycles which meet specific criteria), an excessive exhaust emissions condition is considered present and the Service Engine Soon MIL will be turned on.
Disable TCC if either the number of emission misfires or number of catalyst damaging misfires exceeds 2.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not had any 4th gear slipage at all. So for 4th to to be out is a hard pill to take.I would like to get the transmission problem sourted out before moving on to the other problems at hand. Why I do not receive a (service transmission) error code I do not understand.
I was reading that the PCM inhibite 4th gear if the transmission is in the hot mode.
Will I am still lost on this one.:hmm:

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
444 Posts
The TCC PWM Solenoid should not be confused with fourth gear.

Not shifting into fourth gear is the same as driving in D.

OD = 4th gear + TCC engagement
D = 3rd gear
2 = 2nd gear
1 = 1st gear

If the car cannot shift into fourth gear, then the TCC PWM Solenoid cannot engage, because it only works in fourth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts