Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice when going from reverse to drive, it is taking lomger and longer for drive to engage.

The colder the tranny the worse its is - when warmer its better.

Also, a couple of times I noticed when taking off normally (with the car fully warmed up) it seems to very briefly - almost unnoticably - seem to slip then grab normally.

Going along, normal upshifts take place at normal and full throttle.

Has anyone experienced this? I had my fluid and filter changed at 56k miles and I have 61k now.

Am I in trouble?

Thanks

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Doesn't sound good! Sounds like worn clutch packs to me. The fluid change did more worse than good because you removed all the grit that was helping them grab ...

·
Registered
03' CTS | Modded Air Box | TB coolant bypass mod |
23 Posts
mine does that too.. whenever I shift to drive from neutral,park or reverse. The car did it when I bought it with 163,000kms on it. I changed the filter and fluid. It now had 196,000 on it and it acts the exact same way,no change. We just give it a couple seconds till it engages then were off. It dosent slip at any other time so we dont fret over it.

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Craig and Barron.

Ya, after I posted I did a search on "delay" and found MANY others with the same (non) issue. Sorry moderator, I should have searched before posting.

This morning I did something a little different. I put it in drive while it was barely moving backwards, (on it last 1/4 rotation of the tire) and it seemed to have engaged a bit quicker.

I love this car, but its quirks have me a bit nervous (loud diff that is fine, slow engaging tranny that is fine, using a quart of oil in 1200 miles but it runs fine) WEIRD !

Thanks

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
LOL ... hey, it could be worse! The wife's car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) takes about 10 seconds from the time you shift into reverse until it starts moving! It still drives ... but, sounds like I'll be rebuilding a trans this summer ...

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
i had a 2000 Chrysler concorde beater with 170k miles that had the same problem when taking off (slipping) and when engageing from park or reverse. it was low on transmission fluid. I filled it up with trans fluid and the problem went away instantly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts