Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille / 173,000 miles
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an aftermarket stereo that works with the factory audio controls? A audio installer told me as long as the new unit has a wireless remote, then he can program the audio controls to work on my 98 DeVille.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Recently I installed a remote CD player in my trunk. It is an FM modulation unit meaning: the wirelelss CD control plays using my radio controls. It tied into the radio antenna feed and the signals are processed on a low-band FM frequency. Graphic Equalizer/all speaker functions/sound functions work on the CD player. Don't know if this helps you, but there ya go....

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
If by factory audio controls you are referring to the steering wheel controls, yes they will work with some sort of adapter. The aftermarket unit must have remote control capability, with this part PESWIX by Peripheral. Be careful though, this is not compatible with all remote controllable head units, like SONY aftermarket units that have their "Hi IR" remote system. I purchased another part that is hard wired into the back of my Pioneer stereo that works better than this, I forgot the part number though. It's made specifically by an aftermarket company for that particular brand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I was talking about the steering wheel controls. I was going to buy a factory am/fm cassette then add a factory 12 disc in the trunk, but I don't think the sound quality will be as good as an aftermarket unit. Plus, I don't have an i pod yet, but I'm sure I will get one soon, so the aftermarket unit would be able to play that.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
The factory decks do provide VERY good sound quality and if your getting a cassette deck you can use one of those cassette to headphone jack cookies to play your ipod, thats what I do and it sounds GREAT.

Also aftermarket head units are known to cause electrical gremlins with the vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point about the electrical gremlins. I have had problems with my car not unlocking sometimes with the remote and then the alarm goes off when I turn the key. When I took out the aftermarket Sanyo stereo for a few days, the problem went away. So now I'm leaning towards the factory unit again with the 12 disc in the trunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts