Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the ats-v replace cts-v or there will be a cts-v3?

if there will be a v3, any estimate/speculation when will it be available?

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
I thought the ATS would be smaller than the CTS and the XTS will replace both the STS and DTS. So there would be a ATS, CTS, and XTS all to be available in a V Version:hmm:

Someone please correct me if I am misguided.

·
Registered
CTS-V
420 Posts
I thought the ATS would be smaller than the CTS and the XTS will replace both the STS and DTS. So there would be a ATS, CTS, and XTS all to be available in a V Version:hmm:

Not sure about the XTS-V, but I agree that the ATS and CTS will continue, probably in V form...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not sure too, but why would that produce a ATS 3.6 w/330hp and continue the CTS 3.6? Are they going to make a CTS v8 w/ 400hp for the above reason?
The preliminary spec of ats-v is slightly "weaker" than the v2 so I think it won't replace v3, but it's difficult to tell without more information. I just don't feel like ordering a 2012 v2 and a v3 comes out the following year.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts

I think you've got it. The ATS will be on the new Alpha platform and smaller than the current CTS, being aimed directly at BMW's 3 series. The next gen CTS will be aimed at BMW's 5 series and a bit larger than the current CTS. That will be built on an extended version of the Alpha platform, I believe.
Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, there will be V versions of both models...

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Although the XTS, as a replacement for the DTS and STS, is fairly well known, an ATS is something I never heard of. Smaller than the CTS? How small can it be? Is Cadillac going to try the "small car" market again? Cadillac is known for big luxury cars, not small cheap ones. If the ATS is real and it is smaller than the CTS, I guess the old adage about the "bottom line" being the only thing that matters is still true.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Although the XTS, as a replacement for the DTS and STS, is fairly well known, an ATS is something I never heard of. Smaller than the CTS? How small can it be? Is Cadillac going to try the "small car" market again? Cadillac is known for big luxury cars, not small cheap ones. If the ATS is real and it is smaller than the CTS, I guess the old adage about the "bottom line" being the only thing that matters is still true.
I don't believe the ATS will be replacing the CTS (much as the XTS will replace both the STS and DTS, as you say).
If Cadillac is attempting to change the image of its brand to that of "luxury/performance", it seems fitting that they offer a competitor in the marketplace to BMW's 3 series and M-B's C class - especially since both are entry level and both offer high performance variants. If the next generation CTS is built on a "long wheelbase" Alpha platform and will be a bit larger than the current generation CTS (in order to compete head-to-head with BMW's 5 series and M-B's E class), then I think that strategy makes sense.
Cadillac has been rewarded with a very successful 2nd generation CTS which I believe has been a major contributor to Cadillac's turnaround - and it doesn't have a reputation as a large car (maybe a bit overweight, though!)
The Alpha platform is also purported to be the basis for the next generation Camaro, with GM responding to criticism about the 5th gen Camaro's size and weight - especially when compared to Mustang (and lest we forget, newer CAFE standards!).

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
This commercial reminds me of the Geico living under a rock commercial. The ATS has been talked about for at least a year and there are pictures of the platform being tested using CTS sheet metal. Plenty of pictures of what the car may look like on the net.

Cadillac needs something that competes directly with the 3 series, G37, C class, and A4. Those cars are smaller than the CTS inside and out. The CTS feels closer to the E class, A6, and 5 series on the inside and out. Compare the dimensions and most are within fractions of an inch compared to the 5 series.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Dear garfin, I don't say anything. The GM rep at the local car show said it, along with dozens of other posters to this web site. If you have a beef with the XTS replacing the DTS and STS, take it up with them - not me.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The CTS-V rear seats are already cramped. How much smaller can you go in and ATS?
I don't necessarily think that the overall length of a car has to be the determining factor with respect to how much room there is for passengers in the back seat. There are different configurations and variables that also have an influence on this.
FWIW, I'm 6'1" and have a 34" inseam... and I fit comfortably in the back seat of a 4 door BMW 3 series.

I'd be very surprised if a 3rd Gen CTS based on an extended wheelbase (Alpha+) platform didn't have a much more commodious back seat than our current Sigma based CTS cars.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
<-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(
1,172 Posts
Dear garfin, I don't say anything. The GM rep at the local car show said it, along with dozens of other posters to this web site. If you have a beef with the XTS replacing the DTS and STS, take it up with them - not me.
Wow, no reason to be a dick bro. Or can you help it?:nono:

I'd read that the CTS will be all new in 2014, with only a sedan available. No V.

The new ATS will be coupe, sedan and wagon, with V versions of each.

'Course, that may be completely wrong, but I'll sleep well tonight. :histeric:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Ted,
I think you may have taken what I said the wrong way. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said. I was agreeing with you, that the XTS was slated as the replacement for both the STS and DTS...
Again, as you say, that's a fairly well-known fact and I certainly have no beef whatsoever with Cadillac's decision along those lines. I think it's a good move to combine 2 slower selling models into one.
In any event, it's not an issue one way or the other AFAIC.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, no reason to be a dick bro. Or can you help it?:nono:

I'd read that the CTS will be all new in 2014, with only a sedan available. No V.

The new ATS will be coupe, sedan and wagon, with V versions of each.

'Course, that may be completely wrong, but I'll sleep well tonight. :histeric:
In this case I will jus move on to another option, I don't think the atsv will satisfy most of us, f10 m5 anyone?

·
Registered
NONE
61 Posts
The CTS is Caddy's volume leader by far. There isn't a chance that GM will kill it off in favour of the ATS or any other vehicle.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
The XTS is replacing the DTS and previous generation FWD Seville STS. The ATS is a new 3-Series competitor and will have a V-Series version - probably with a twin turbo V6 and/or V8. The CTS is growing to be a true 5-Series competitor and will have a V-Series version with a new V8. No more of this in-between stuff for Cadillac. They need to stop being a "value luxury" brand and go head to head with their competitors. No more "competes with the 5-Series but priced like a 3-Series and sized somewhere in between".

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
4,561 Posts
The CTS-V rear seats are already cramped. How much smaller can you go in an ATS?
that would be because it currently sits between being bigger than a 3 series and smaller than a 5 series. With the introduction of the ATS, you'll see something that's about the size of the current CTS, the CTS is going to grow to the size of a real E-Class/ 5 series, and the XTS is going to be larger than that.

The CTS is Caddy's volume leader by far. There isn't a chance that GM will kill it off in favour of the ATS or any other vehicle.
I honestly think we'll see that change if the ATS is a good car, Cadillac needed people to start looking at them for outstanding value for money-- the CTS has given them that. Now it's time to go after the real bread-n-butter; small, compact executive class.

The XTS is replacing the DTS and previous generation FWD Seville STS. The ATS is a new 3-Series competitor and will have a V-Series version - probably with a twin turbo V6 and/or V8. The CTS is growing to be a true 5-Series competitor and will have a V-Series version with a new V8. No more of this in-between stuff for Cadillac. They need to stop being a "value luxury" brand and go head to head with their competitors. No more "competes with the 5-Series but priced like a 3-Series and sized somewhere in between".
I honestly, didn't see this post before I posted, but it's exactly what's happening/needs to happen.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts