Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 DTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 DTS 73K miles. Have had since August. Great ride. '

Coming home Friday night hit a very bad pothole. Maybe worse than I've ever hit in my life. Just didn't see it. It was on the left side of my car.

Parked car and drove again Sunday night, noticed ride height is extremely high in the back. Kind of cool look from the back but too high.

Took the truck to work today going to get under there tonight.

Has anyone heard of the sensor arm breaking from a pothole? Seems likely, especially since on the left side where the sensor is.

Also, can I drive it like this while I wait for the part if it is broken? Drove last night before realizing. Didn't really notice anything drive wise. No warning lights are on.

Anyone do this replacement before? Any videos or tips? Thanks!

thanks!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
The height sensor is connected to the lower control arm by a link rod with pop ball sockets. They DO come off once in a while.

You remove the wheel/tire and fiddle around with the link rod. If the rod is physically broken then you either get creative with hardware store threaded rod and tools or hit the junkyards. I doubt that you'll find a rod at either a dealership or online. Talk to Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac in Alexandria, VA - one of our long-time Vendors, up there ^^^, Vendors.

Maybe www.car-part.com, www.cadillacheaven.com, www.gmpartsgiant.com

You could block/tape the sensor arm at about mid-point to sort of level the car in the meantime.

Looks like RockAuto has the complete sensor assemblies. You need to know which suspension type the car has. The RPO codes are on the sticker under the spare tire cover. F55/FE3 is the MRC active sport suspension. FE1 is the passive soft suspension - both types use the ELC (Electronic level Control) system, just looks like different sensors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...8,1444451,suspension,ride+height+sensor,17137

Huge pothole - check the entire wheel and suspension arm assemblies - bends or cracks.

Please update your profile to show car(s), location, time zone, etc.. It sure helps with diagnosis and advice.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I couldn't bear the suspense so I stopped back home and saw that the arm had indeed broken. I will probably just buy the whole assembly. At first glance everything else looks OK under there but I'm going to make a more thorough inspection this evening. I will update my profile now.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,287 Posts
I broke my left rear hitting a pothole years ago. I replaced the complete sensor as it took a big shock breaking the arm so I didn't want to chance that the sensor also got damaged.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a couple follow up questions:

I have the FE1 suspension but the sensors I see at the Rock Auto link above are all F55 in the description or not designated. Will those work? They look exactly the same. In fact I don't see any that say FE1 any place I look.

I moved the arm this morning (with a long stick so I didn't get my hand stuck in there) and nothing happened. Did it with the car running in park, nothing happened. Then moved it and put it in drive and sat there for a second. Still no movement. It was raining hard out and I didn't wait more than a few minutes. Is the car supposed to move up and down without delay as the arm moves? Maybe the sensor was damaged too. Everything else under there looks ok.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Not familiar with the post-2005 "DTC" - does your car have 2 ELC sensors - one in each wheelwell? Some do.

Moving the sensor arm itself should result in a height change within XX seconds - but the system is heavily damped so that uneven roads and bumps don't cause false alarms - semi-permanent weight changes only.

Upon a raise height signal you should hear the compressor run. On a lower height command you should hear air escaping in the RR fenderwell.

For deep info, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com. For the height sensor question, talk to Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac, Alexandria, VA - one of our long-time Vendor members. Up ^^^ there, main forums page.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,132 Posts
The same thing happened to me on my 93 STS. I hit a bad pot hole with my left front tire & when I was looking at the wheel, I noticed the LF position sensor had snapped. Pretty easy to replace.

Max

1 - 8 of 8 Posts