Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
231 Posts
I bought the key fob online, it had a blank metal key. My 08 STS had the metal key included with the fob that came with my car when I bought it 16 months ago, the fob worked but the metal key did not work anywhere on the car. I went to a GM dealer to get a metal key cut to my VIN, then the second fob I bought online had a blank metal key and Batteries Plus copied it. You may be able to get the correct metal blank key from a locksmith.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fabricated my own key for a new-style fob. The cost for the copy of my door key was around $3. I also bought a tiny screw & nut and after a little cutting & grinding, it was done.

I posted about it sometime around 2009-10. No worries!
Any clue what size screw is the metal key uses in the fob?

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
231 Posts
I don't know. Seriously small though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do fabricate the door key the thread if the screw is M2×0.40. Other then that, the Fob from a 2008-2011 STS will work 100% on the 2005-2007 STS. The model number you'll will have to get is M3N5WY7777A, which is the one with the Emergency key insert. And if you are wondering if the E-key is a proxy key, it's not. I have a 2006 Cadillac STS 4.6l Northstar V8 LH2 and i programmed the new fob to it and fabricated the old key to fit inside the new fob and it works perfectly without any help from the Dealer. Though it was easy for me since I work in a machine shop.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts