Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
^this

If you are having to remove the inner fenders, those rims have the wrong backspacing

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,734 Posts
Because it's his car and he wants them.

Yes, you can fit 22 inch wheels on these cars.

What is the width of the wheel you are trying to fit? The backspacing?

·
Registered
1968 Fleetwood
32 Posts
You should also think about the size tire, I don't know what will fit, but a 255/35R22 is 29" high and 10" wide (section width, not tread) whereas a 275/45R22 are 32" high and 11" wide. The difference in height/width could be the difference between fitting and not....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for your quick answers guys, in fact im looking to buy some wire wheels on craiglist and the seller told me that the tire is 255/95/22 if what I remember is right. I dont know much about tires but they are on his ´67 chevy impala, and he told me the lowprofil tires are 2 1/4 inch thick. I dont know what backspacing is english is not my first language and the translation is meaningless to me^^ i would nées further explanation thank yo guys

·
Registered
1968 Fleetwood
32 Posts
Tire size:

The first number 255 is the section width in millimeters, 255mm is about 10". Tread width will be less than that, and that width can be influenced by the width of the rim the tire is mounted on (a rim that is narrower than the tread width will pull the sides of the tire in)

The second number is the aspect ratio. Mathematically it is the sidewall height over the width. In my example 255/35R22 the sidewalls are 35% of the width (255mm*35%=89mm) or 3.5". Total tire height is the rim size plus 2 times the sidewall (22+3.5+3.5=29")

The R22 stands for a radial tire with a 22" rim size.

The 95 in your size above is incorrect and if the sidewalls are 2 1/4 it would have to be either a 20 or 25 aspect ratio.

Below is a pretty good explanation of backspacing and wheel offset. It basically determines where the tire sets in relation to the wheel opening (how far in or out)

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunters-ramblings/what-is-wheel-offset-and-backspace

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes sense thanks! Thèse lowprofil tires are very slim for sure! Ill give a call to the seller to confirmer the size and update it late! thank you so much.

----------

I got the right info now sorry bout that and the damn auto correction, so the tire size is 255/30R22! Do you think it would fit my caddy? Thanks

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I've got 255s on my 84. I rub when I turn all the way but that's very rare that I need to turn that sharp.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,734 Posts
Those would fit just fine. They're a hair shorter overall than the (I believe) 225/75R15s that came on your car.

You'll be fine. Depends on how wide the wheel is whether or not you'll rub, but if you only rub at full lock, who cares? You never really NEED to be at full lock anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'84 and '88 is roughly the same model so it must be fine. I dont mind if it rubs a bit on U-turns cause this car is not my daily driver. I'll just avoid them. You guys have been really helpful, I couldnt find this info in wheel shops ariound here so thanks a lot! Other advice are still welcome! By the way heres a picture of my babe and one of the wheels im gonna buy GetAttachment.jpg $_35 (2).JPG God my babes gonna look great!

·
Registered
19,734 Posts
What is the backspacing on those wheels? And the overall width?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had confirmed the size on a previous post, its 255/30R22. The guy told me a fourth number that he saw on the tires (95) wich he doesnt know what it stands for.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,960 Posts
If you are going 22 on a square body...that is a great choice!

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
Those are knockoff wheels, no lug nuts . But you will need adapters for the wheels and a lead hammer lugs go on the adapter, no rubber, deadbolt hammer etc. When buying wires some fitment problems happen when they are standard, reverse or bead lace, on rear or fwd cars. IF memory calls correct they will fit.

Also if for some reason you can't find fitment info contact Dayton ( pretty sure those aren't, if they are a NAME they will have some mfg stamp/engraving of that company.), they be more than glad to help you on info.

Make sure the teeth on the wheel are perfect, no round off or anything SAFETY first, they hold on to the adapter. If the teeth or threads on adapters are bad you can replace them. Do they hold air? if not they can be resealed, but do you want to.

·
Registered
1968 Fleetwood
32 Posts
I had confirmed the size on a previous post, its 255/30R22. The guy told me a fourth number that he saw on the tires (95) wich he doesnt know what it stands for.
The 95 is the load range rating or capacity. A 95 equals 1,521 pounds per tire (about 3,350 Kgs)

So it looks like the tires are fine. As others have questioned, the rim width and backspacing will influence where the tire sets in relation to the fender/control arms/inner fender/frame etc. If the rims have a greater positive offset, they may be too close on the inside, a negative offset and the tires stick out of the wheel well opening in the front and don't clear the rear quarter panel....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CaddyGas said:
Those are knockoff wheels, no lug nuts . But you will need adapters for the wheels and a lead hammer lugs go on the adapter, no rubber, deadbolt hammer etc. When buying wires some fitment problems happen when they are standard, reverse or bead lace, on rear or fwd cars. IF memory calls correct they will fit. Also if for some reason you can't find fitment info contact Dayton ( pretty sure those aren't, if they are a NAME they will have some mfg stamp/engraving of that company.), they be more than glad to help you on info. Make sure the teeth on the wheel are perfect, no round off or anything SAFETY first, they hold on to the adapter. If the teeth or threads on adapters are bad you can replace them. Do they hold air? if not they can be resealed, but do you want to.
Thanks man ill keep that in mind! Im not worried about safety ill have them installed by professionals.

----------

357 Colt Python said:
The 95 is the load range rating or capacity. A 95 equals 1,521 pounds per tire (about 3,350 Kgs) So it looks like the tires are fine. As others have questioned, the rim width and backspacing will influence where the tire sets in relation to the fender/control arms/inner fender/frame etc. If the rims have a greater positive offset, they may be too close on the inside, a negative offset and the tires stick out of the wheel well opening in the front and don't clear the rear quarter panel....
that makes sense, ill upload a picture with´ the wheels on it next spring! My babes stored for the winter ( im living in Canada) this forum has been very helpful thank you so much everybody

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
Thanks man ill keep that in mind! Im not worried about safety ill have them installed by professionals.

NO YOU NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT SAFETY. Don't trust a "so called expert". After they are installed after about 25 miles you need to recheck them, most of the time you will be tightening them just a bit more. Then during the first 500 miles check them, after that they should not come loose. But check them so often. Got a spare? How going to change that? At the shop? They are your responsibility, you need to understand them.

If you don't want to mount them maybe not the wheel for you. First time at shop ok, but after you need to know. Safety first.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
These rims are pretty easy to install. The adapters should come with the rims as they would be useless by themselves. You will probably need different lugnuts to get the rims to sit flush but thats about it. I'll second that you need to familiarize yourself with these rims so that you know what to do in an emergency. The adapters have to mounted on the correct side of the car or bad things will happen. I've ran a set for a couple years and a so did a friend. I just sold some 20" spokes a couple weeks ago for 600 with good tires. Like it's been mentioned before, familiarize yourself with how these rims work and you will be good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts