Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have an '05 CTS and I am having several problems with it, I bought it last November and since then it's been into the service department 5 or 6 times. 4 times for the dash lights flickering, 1 time towed in because it would not start, it would turn over but wouldn't fire and now I'm trying to get time to leave it there because the check coolant level light reads on the display and the engine light is on. I have had trouble with it not starting again and then one problem with the key not turning back all the way to come out of the ignition. I was told the starting problem was my remote start, but that was removed and it still happens. The dealership keeps telling me that they can't duplicate my problems, so therefore they will not correct the problems, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what to do?? I'm so frustrated!!!! Please help!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
The problem with the ignition not turning all the way back could be related to your starting problems. If the cylinder is bad, it can cause all kinds of goofy behavior, including what you're describing.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
maybe you're doing it wrong ;)
like nick was perplexed as to why his personalization settings were altered and wouldnt reset to his settings when he used the remote... the blundering PUNK (ya i said it :want: ) didnt realize he grabbed "key 2" instead of his own key =/

lol just kidding with u, but wait around for lindsay cadillac's tech genius, will, to come around -- he'll throw some useful info your way.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. Now my radio is cutting in and out, is there lemon laws on "certified used" cars? I thought I bought a cadillac not a geo metro p.o.s.

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
OK, thanks. Now my radio is cutting in and out, is there lemon laws on "certified used" cars? I thought I bought a cadillac not a geo metro p.o.s.
:gg:

Where did you bought your car from and how much if you don't mind I ask? Also what's the mileage?

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid almost $30,000 for it and it now has 31000 miles on it, had 23,000 when I bought it.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Come on guys - I told mrssmith this was the best group of knowledge on the 'net.

I can't help here - because when my V is broken, it is usually due to one of my *mods*.

WW

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
You obviously have an electrical issue somewhere, but I'd need a little more info to make a (semi) educated guess.

-Are there any aftermarket electrical items on the car (subs, amps, radio, alarm, etc..)

-By "cutting out", does the sound go out, or does the entire display go fubar?

-Is there a "Theft attempted" message on your DIC, or a yellow "padlock" icon lit on your IPC?

I'd like to help, but diagnosing car problems over the internet is a bitch.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
One thing that I thought of for the blinking dash lights might be the dimmer switch (the slider by the sunroof knob, assuming you have one). I know that I can't leave mine in the first detent (not on, but full bright) or I have some issues, so mine is always somewhat dimmed from full bright.

Some of the other symptoms match when I had a short in the connector/harness going to the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp). The ECU has no clue what to do with wildly fluctuating coolant temps - and goes beyond limp mode and simply shuts down.

The real question here, I think, is whether threat of a lemon case are in order. I do not know the law - but I know there are those here who do and that can help. The question is - can a *certified used vehicle* be lemoned.

Finally, I would encourage mrssmith to leave the car with the dealer, make them call Enterprise for a loaner (Enterprise will pick you up - and in the past I've received decent vehicles) and then refuse to pick up the *new to you* car until the issues have truly been addressed.

I know the service writer well - and he is one of the best in this area - I promise you. Give George a chance and he'll treat you well (but you must do the same in return - those guys live and die by the results of the customer satisfaction surveys). The local service manager isn't a terrible guy either.

WW

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
I had a problem with the radio cutting out and unable to change the station or volume. I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds,and all was back to normal again.:thumbsup:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I could give you some more information but I'd need more details on the specifics of the failures you are experiencing.

1. No start. This could be a lot of things but your information needs more detail. I have seen everything from bad batteries to faulty clutch switches cause this concern. Is there electrical power but the engine won't turn over or is the thing dead? Does it click? How do you get it started or do you?

2. Low coolant light. On a V I have seen few things leak besides the radiator. There is a new design radiator that was released totake care of this issue, tell them to pressure test the cooling system and review the TSB on the radiator concern. I have lost count of how many radiators I have replaced in these cars due to the crimp on the original tank. Could be other things though. Water pumps can leak but it is uncommon and I have seen a hose clamp or two break.

3. I don't see many problems with the V Nav unit, could you give us more detail on the specific "cutting out" issue? Is this a loss of reception or total non-operation of the unit.

Cycling battery power can help reset some logic issues in vehicle modules.
It could be related to your electrical issue... if that is what you really have.

More detail will give me a much better ability to help you out here.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oops, I thought we were talking about a V, I didn't pay attention to which forum I was in.

Is this a stick or an automatic?
The same still applies, need more detail.
Also is this a nav radio or the base radio with the orange and black display?

The radiator issue is related to a V, haven't seen any failures on the regular CTS.
Sorry for the confusion.
That doesn't mean it can't be a problem, but it usually isn't.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. I've been trying to diagnose my car through and through, even called onstar for them to run their thing, the engine light they told me was my emmissions, but that's all they could say.
The dash lights I leave on dim because I can't stand the brightness at night, they told me I couldn't drive with them that dim, and it's not all the way dim but almost, I can't even begin to drive with them at full brightness. At halfway it still flickers.
The non-start has only occured when I fuel up, it will turn over act like it's starting but never fully start, I had it towed when it did this to me the first time. The dealer said it was my remote start, I had that removed. Then the last time this happened (after my remote start was removed) I took my gas cap off, then put it back on, then left it off and it started, when I put the gas cap on while it was running, it started to run rough, I stepped on the gas pedal and it seemed to kind of smooth out, then I drove off. I'm very irritated.
I did have one occurance about 6 weeks ago, that I haven't mentioned was I got in my car started it, started to drive off and the display said remove key or engine with shut off or shut off and remove key, something to that effect, I stopped turned off the car and pulled out the key, put it back in and it was fine, I don't know if for some odd reason I happened to get it started without the key fully in?? Not sure.
The radio problem happened twice yesterday only, the sound goes away and I can't change the radio station using any buttons, no volume, nothing, I turned off the car, then back on, changed the station, about 5-10 minutes later same thing. No codes flashed other than my engine light has been on for a couple days.
The check coolant level has only come on the DIC when I start and it's very random when it does it.
At this point I'm so fed up with this car, and don't get me wrong I love it, other that my "mystery" complaints, I don't even know what to do. Everyone told me I should get a foreign car and I fought for an american motor and knowing the history of cadillac I believed I was getting a true american car, afterall since 1902 these cars have been the best and the most fancy luxury, wasn't it Cadillac to first invent the electric start? Their quality is going down hill in my eyes.......Or I just got the runt of the litter.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
I know how you feel! Believe me! I bought my certified 04 CTS with 35k miles for $25k & it was in the shop for a total of three weeks within my first three months of ownership. I'm still getting over the buyers remorse! I looked into lemon laws here in FL, and they only apply to brand new cars here, but the laws differ by state, so it might be worth checking out if your that unhappy. I called Cadillac Customer Care and voiced my concerns about the condition of the car when I got it since it was supposed to have been "certified" & they stepped in and persuaded the dealership to cover some items that they tried to tell me they couldn't/wouldn't.

I had the same issue with the dash lights that yo're having. They couldn't duplicate it therefore they wouldn't do anything about it. After Customer Care called them, they replaced the dimmer and I never had another issue. They told me they can't normally just replace a part without them being able to prove the part was faulty because Cadillac would come after them for warranty fraud. Whatever. That may be true. But, if customer care had no issue with them replacing a part without being 100% sure it was the cause, why could the dealership not justify doing the same thing to try and keep a customer happy and fix their problem, insteaad of me having to drive back to the dealership every few days in hopes that the dash would still be flickering when I got there.

I used to hold Cadillac in high reguards and believed them to be on the same level as higher end luxury vehicles, but after the loops I had to jump through and the terrible service I received from two different dealerships in the area, I don't feel that they're any different than any other GM brand. Take that as you will.

That being said, I really do like my CTS. There aren't really any other cars out there today (in the same price range) that I would rather have. I wish the first few months of ownership would have gone smoother, but I haven't had any issues in the past 6 months (knock on wood!!!) and I've been able to enjoy my car. I hope you get all your issues worked out and can enjoy yours too!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally someone to understand my frustrations!! I've tried customer service, I even tried to get into contact with the area vehicle manager, I can't get anywhere, they just think I'm a dumb woman with petty complaints. Like I enjoy going into the dealership every week or so, I have to go to the dealership today and give them my car I'm going to ask them again, to replace the dimmer switch, and see if they do. I do like my car, just agro when I had a grand am prior to this and I had no problems with it until it went over 100,000 miles and then the only problem was I lost the water pump....which was an easy fix, and the car still runs...then I get this fancy new one to have it in the dealership more times than I care to count. Geez feels go to vent! hahahahah Thanks again to all of you, for your help, suggestions, etc! :)

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Customer service (1-800-458-8006) wasn't any help??? That sucks. They helped me out & even mailed me a work voucher to have my car completely detailed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's the number I called 2x, nothing, I must not sound as sexy on the phone as you. HAHAHA The dealer has my car I have a rental and we'll see what they tell me tomorrow or Monday. I did ask the porter at the dealership to wash my car while they had it......thought if they didn't fix anything, they could at least make it nice and shiny.....I'm pushing my luck?!!! :)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Let us know what they find.

We wash every car that comes to us for service.
No need to ask here ;)

In fact if you don't want it washed, you do have to ask.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts