Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a notice the other day after 4 days of being connected that I have used all of my 3GB of data in a few days.
I never even connected to WiFi.
But my iPhone and iPad have the Car WiFi address and password and automatically connect just being int he car even if I do not use any data.

There is no way to disable the WiFi in the car using CUE or in On*.
You have to use the ON* mobile app and that is only partially successful.
I have used the ON* mobile app to disable the WiFi.

I have also disconnected my iPhone and iPad from the car's WiFi.

Without ever using the WiFi, It burns as soon as your phone connects and thinks it is at home connected to your home WiFi and does all the app maintenance and downloads.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes
I had conversations with ON* and CUE groups.

they restored some data and said not to allow cell phone to connect via wifi but bluetooth OK.
i do not let the cell phone do very much on cellular.
but the cars wifi is cellular.
the fact hat it can burn 3GB in 4 days is amazing.
and i never even accessed anything, like I was planning on doing.
now I will use the cell phone cellular.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade ESV Platinum
86 Posts
I don't get the point in the OnStar/AT&T vehicle WiFi at this point everyone's phone turns into a hotspot anyway.

They were about 5 years to late to the game.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
When I took delivery of my Platinum a week ago, the salesman asked me for a user ID and password for the "free trial" hotspot. Since I have a Verizon smartphone, I asked him what additional functionality it would add to the CUE, and he said "none". At that point I told him, "no thanks".

·
Registered
None
438 Posts
When I took delivery of my Platinum a week ago, the salesman asked me for a user ID and password for the "free trial" hotspot. Since I have a Verizon smartphone, I asked him what additional functionality it would add to the CUE, and he said "none". At that point I told him, "no thanks".
The other thing is that it is absurdly expensive. $30 for 3gb. Certainly not worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm sure they're betting on the fact that most people will jump at anything seemingly free, and then not keep track of the "free" period and find themselves in a constantly renewing contract.

Where the 4G system will come in useful is when they implement their now-beta apps such as being able to remotely turn on the Escalade's outside cameras to check on things.

·
Registered
None
438 Posts
I'm sure they're betting on the fact that most people will jump at anything seemingly free, and then not keep track of the "free" period and find themselves in a constantly renewing contract.

Where the 4G system will come in useful is when they implement their now-beta apps such as being able to remotely turn on the Escalade's outside cameras to check on things.
Where does one find those apps?

·
Registered
15 Escalade Plat SC, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 Range Rover SC
679 Posts
Simple solution, don't save the wifi password to your phone and then it won't connect. Why would you connect your phone to the cars wifi anyways? It's meant for devices that don't have a data plan already, such as a laptop or wifi only iPad, or to take advantsge of the higher gain antenna in low service areas. .

----------

I don't get the point in the OnStar/AT&T vehicle WiFi at this point everyone's phone turns into a hotspot anyway.

They were about 5 years to late to the game.
My mom uses hers for camping trips. She connects her laptop to the vehicle. The car has a lot better antenna than her smart phone would so it works better in remote areas. It's also good for parents who have kids in the back using wifi iPads. She also connects her phone to it as she says the increased signal strength gives her much faster data speeds.

----------

The other thing is that it is absurdly expensive. $30 for 3gb. Certainly not worth it.
You can add it to your AT&T share plan for $10. $30 for 3GB isn't absurd, pretty standard, $10 a GB.

----------

You don't, there in beta :)

----------

If you have Verizon it might be useful as you could then have the choice of using AT&T data or Verizon data depending on where you're driving. I do something similar, I have an AT&T phone and Verizon service on my iPad. depending on where I'm traveling I might tether my phone to the iPad to use AT&T or I might use Verizon which my iPad has built in.

----------

I got a notice the other day after 4 days of being connected that I have used all of my 3GB of data in a few days.
I never even connected to WiFi.
But my iPhone and iPad have the Car WiFi address and password and automatically connect just being int he car even if I do not use any data.

There is no way to disable the WiFi in the car using CUE or in On*.
You have to use the ON* mobile app and that is only partially successful.
I have used the ON* mobile app to disable the WiFi.

I have also disconnected my iPhone and iPad from the car's WiFi.

Without ever using the WiFi, It burns as soon as your phone connects and thinks it is at home connected to your home WiFi and does all the app maintenance and downloads.
How do you figure you never even connected to wifi? If you saved the network and password to your phone and iPad, then you connected to wifi and will automatically going forward. your post implies there are some sort of shenegians going on here, but your devices were only doing what you told them to do! Connecting to wifi your phone may or may not do all sorts of things, for example mine sends every picture I've taken up to the internet once I connect to wifi. You don't need to disable wifi, just remove the cars network from your phone and it won't connect to it. I wouldn't turn wifi off as you'll likely forget to turn it back on when you get home and eat up all your mobile data. Then if you do need to use the cars hotspot. Just manually type in the password (and don't hit save!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Coming soon...
At the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the big news, aside from the launch of OnStar 4G LTE in 30 General Motors vehicles, was the announcement of AppShop for Chevrolet, Buick, Opel, Vauxhall and GMC models, and the equivalent CUE Collection for Cadillac vehicles. Initially, GM previewed 10 launch apps, including Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio, Eventseeker and Vehicle Health, with the expectation to launch the apps this summer on select 2015 model-year vehicles. However, things aren’t going as planned.

For quality reasons, General Motors is delaying the launch of AppShop to what is now expected to be the 2015 calendar year. GM officials couldn’t disclose any specifics to us, but insisted that the re-positioned launch timeframe and rollout cadence will enhance the quality and customer experience of AppShop and its apps, as initial testing in GM test vehicles haven’t yielded the most ideal results so far.
However, the delay of AppShop/CUE Collection are not resulting in any delays of launching vehicles with 4G LTE, whose rollout is still scheduled for later this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts