Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wide wheels rubbing your trailing arms? A solution!

17K views 142 replies 31 participants last post by  rand49er 
Dibs!!!!! I'll mail mine for a free set of fabed arms!!!

I have 18" stock wheels that I want to widen eventually. Engine is at the machine shop. Transmission is at the trans shop. She's not going anywhere soon.

Lol that's funny. I could have swore you said free set for whoever offered. So much for that deal I guess.

I would not trust that joint for a car that goes 160+ mph. Perhaps a bent link like the MAP arms but just throwing in sharp angles like that in a part of the suspension that sees a lot of abuse with no gussets is not a good idea IMHO. I, however, am no engineer.

Is the stress in compression during acceleration and compression during braking?

Killer, can you elaborate a bit on how that joint is fabbed? Is it just overlapped and welded?
Yes that is exactly what happens. Now throw in some wheel hop on top of that!

Well good luck with the arms. I'll stop boogering up your thread. Just thought I'd voice my concerns. Hope for everybody's sake that they are indeed up to the task.

Well I am a frequent visitor of 140 plus. I have a video of a 177mph run and several more well over 120. You may not frequent that speed but others might.

Yeah, but who would want one to fail at 170? I'm not saying they will but chromoly can have some bad tendencies if you're not carefull. Chromoly has a tendency to become very brittle if not welded correctly. Again, not say you don't know what you're doing but its just one of those things you know. I weld some here and there and will soon buy a tig. I'm by no means an expert or an engineer but I do know a little bit about welding. I know that butt welds are not the best welds to use for the application and those angles. Honestly, I couldn't tell you how I would do it if it where me but I don't think I or any other professional suspension fabricator would butt weld chromoly at odd angels anywhere that sees crompression and expansion.

Ok for real I'm done again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.