Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when it comes to cold air intakes most people on the forums have used the volant intake. I know k&n also make one for the CTS with a claim of a 14 hp increase but why do most of you guys get the volant intake? Also does anyone know how much hp the volant intake adds? Finally does anyone notice a significant difference with the addition of an intake aside from the sound?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/481524-post159.html

For 3.6
STOCK INTAKE
splash guard in place, radiator air deflector in place. lower valance panel in place.

220 RWHP

TONY A MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX
splash guard cut to match opening (supplied by Ody). Lower valance panel removed.

225 RWHP
made a few more HP than stock all through the rpm range

K&N FIPK KIT
splash guard removed. lower valance panel removed

A quick spike at the end showed 236 hp but 228 hp what showed on the screen on both runs.

228RWHP

VOLANT
splash guard removed. radiator air deflector folded over to expose front snorkle.

233 RWHP

consistant each run.

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
wow 233 with just an intake! swweeet that means mine special intake, plus my catback,high flow cats,ported TB,ported maf,tune, headers(possibility),underdrive pulley(posibility) damn maybe like 275-300?

sry but damn, dude save your money and build your own in my opinion

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
Volant > K&N.. reasons?

closed box= pulls in less warm air from engine, you dont get a sucking noise either
much less drone while cruising with the Volant.

i bought a volant and like it, the most noticeable change was highway accelerating, throttle response at any rpm, and a roughly 2mpg improvement. oh and the lower less raspy exhaust tone.

i'd like to see what GhettoMike/Gaetano's stock air box hack mod provides in terms of power and what not (im assuming about the same as the Tony A Mod).

a few people have pieced together their own and are running two cone filters, they've moved the filters (atleast i believe) right down behind the fog lights, i.e. farther from the engine=cooler air.

im happy with my Volant, and 13hp at the wheels (about 18, given a 3hp loss in the drive train, on top of the engines 255=273HP for the 3.6L)

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys I just bought a used volant intake for $75. The guy who sold it to me said it was 2 years old but was working and the filter needed to be cleaned or I just buy a new one. Should I be worried that it is 2 years old and would the filter be fine if I just clean it or should I just buy a new one?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Buy new man, screw old haha its just a filter, let your car breathe! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
depending on how many miles were put on the car since he had installed the Volant, 2 years is a long time to go without a cleaning... just buy a new filter (doesnt even have to be volant, just get one with the same measurements).

·
Registered
12 CTS Premium - 10 CTS Luxury - Sold= 04 CTS Luxury
311 Posts
im happy with my Volant, and 13hp at the wheels (about 18, given a 3hp loss in the drive train, on top of the engines 255=273HP for the 3.6L)
let me get this straight. so +13 rwhp ,-3hp drive train , and + 18 hp?
For using a volant air intake? :)

and whats the reason for loss of 3 hp in the drive train? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When power is transfered to many parts,power is lossed, to the power at the engine is 255hp, by time it turns the crank,transmission,driveshaft,diferential then wheels its lost some power because of have to go through all of that to make it "go"

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
let me get this straight. so +13 rwhp ,-3hp drive train , and + 18 hp?
For using a volant air intake? :)

and whats the reason for loss of 3 hp in the drive train? :hmm:
yea man, that's Canadian math, it's a bit different than the US, being metric and all...:shhh:

and yes, there is roughly an 16-20% power loss from the engine to the wheels on most cars, hence the term rwhp (rear wheel horsepower). the engine has to power more than just the wheels, added weight and friction to those moving parts reduces even more power (which is why people were so interested in that lighter pulley for the Commodores). then you have to transfer the power through gears with varying ratios.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Take engine horsepower, multiply it by 0.82, and you should get real wheel horsepower. Do the opposite to find crank. (divide)

I use .82 instead of .80 or .85 because it sits in the middle, so it can be most generally used (since you'd use .80 for auto, and .85 for manual)

Still, something like 15-20hp gain is impressive.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
just so [some] people know, that .82 number odthetruth is using is to calculate for an 18% power loss

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my volant and installed it this morning. Thought I might throw up some pictures. It was pretty simple to install thanks to the great write up on cadillacfaq.com.

Before

During

After

1 - 20 of 24 Posts