Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyways, over the weekend, I was trying to be a good friend and help out a buddy. I parked my car on the street in a residential neighborhood street, not much traffic. I'm under a suburban, when my buddy's friend goes "OH SHIT", someone just hit your car. Upon checking, it was only the mirror glass LH rearview. I called the stealership to get a quote. I was 1st asked for my vin#. Had never been asked that before just for that type of part. I give the vin, and was asked if I needed the complete/or just the glass part. I answered glass.

My price quote: $245.00 not installed! Damn :eek:

Any ideas, where to acquire said part. I tried gmdirect to no avail.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
yikes......
i was missing some push rivets used to hold the splash guards around the bumpers in place, went to the caddy dealership they said they were $7.00 a piece. hell you can buy a hole bag of those things at most part stores for less than they charge for one.
when i lowered my car i needed to get the non-load leveling rear shocks, the dealer here told me 300 almost 4 per shock. i ordered them from gm direct or some place for 90 a piece, hell i even paid for overnight shipping at that price.
hope you find somewhere else to buy your mirror.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
I recently helped a friend who needed a new glass for her Chrysler Sebring passenger-side mirror. Dealer was quoting some high figure. Found them on the web for $9.00. I recommend doing a web search - there are companies out there that sell just these things, and cheap.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
i needed new sidemarkers -- they asked me for my vin # too... i didnt give it to them cus its a lease & i'd rather them not have it on record... gave me an idea of how much it'd cost... $70 EACH!!! plus they gotta be ordered..

found them online & have to order this afternoon, ~$25 shipped each.

paid 900+ for my upper & lower grille + install when i first got my car -- they told me it was a $1000 grille... (i was naive...) ... and they said they'd cut me a break or something thats y its 900-something not over $1000...

anyway, somoene on the forum pointed out to me that you can get my exact grille online for like $500-$550 + instructions in the FAQ... needless to say, i was pissed..

i think i MAY have my entire passenger side mirror + housing in the basement... i'll have to dig it up if its even still here....
but you know the mirror is more expensive because it can tilt/aim down when the car is in Reverse.... so they gotta connect the wiring & everything too i'd suppose.

send me a PM if u want me to look for it

Mike

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts
i needed new sidemarkers -- they asked me for my vin # too... i didnt give it to them cus its a lease & i'd rather them not have it on record... gave me an idea of how much it'd cost... $70 EACH!!! plus they gotta be ordered..

found them online & have to order this afternoon, ~$25 shipped each.
That is quite the markup on them, That was a dealership quote? I got mine after the melting/painting incident from Luke at Lindsay for about $20 each no need to be ordered or shipped though. That is a pretty big difference between dealerships.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Some Cadillacs like my STS have autodimming outside mirrors controlled by the inside mirror as well as being heated and a glass replacement is very, very, expensive. There may be more to this story than meets the eye. It's fine to sit back and sling arrows at the dealer for wanting to cheat you but you may be displaying your own ignorance in the process.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
I'm not going to defend the prices or any dealer in particular, but the VIN is used to make sure they get you the right part. Yes I know it doesn't always happen, but even being one year different the part may have been modified and have a different part number or application.

I've run into issues like that a lot from aftermarket vendors versus the dealerships.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The last 8 digits of the VIN identify your specific equipment package to the parts catalog. It has a VIN filter that highlights options that your car has.
There are at least 4 different style mirror glasses that I know of for the trucks like an Escalade or Silverado, maybe more.
Some cars have LED options, some have heated glass, some have auto dimming mirrors etc. The last 8 makes sure they get you the price on the right parts for your car.

Dealer markup on most retail parts is pretty high, but sometimes you are left with few options.
To the original poster, go to the vendor area and look for our sub-section (Lindsay Cadillac).
Start a post asking Luke for a price on what you need and give him the last 8 digits of the VIN.
My guess is he'll shoot you a pretty fair price.

I don't know of any aftermarket supplier for this glass that will fit in the factory assembly.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
Anybody in retail marketing will tell you that without a price markup you can't survive. This is the element of free enterprise that allows you to make some money selling stuff. Besides paying your suppliers this allows you to hire employees, heat your building, defend yourself against all the wackos that are trying to sue you, and all those other annoying things that make up what is called overhead. As a rule of thumb the price of a retail product doubles everytime it changes hands through the supply chain. Luxury items such as diamonds and gift crystal can be marked up 500%. You brag about how much you spend on your girlfriends ring where you are really getting screwed on several levels and tell everybody that the guy that sells car parts is a crook.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Anybody in retail marketing will tell you that without a price markup you can't survive. This is the element of free enterprise that allows you to make some money selling stuff. Besides paying your suppliers this allows you to hire employees, heat your building, defend yourself against all the wackos that are trying to sue you, and all those other annoying things that make up what is called overhead. As a rule of thumb the price of a retail product doubles everytime it changes hands through the supply chain. Luxury items such as diamonds and gift crystal can be marked up 500%. You brag about how much you spend on your girlfriends ring where you are really getting screwed on several levels and tell everybody that the guy that sells car parts is a crook.
I agree with this 100%. Never truer words were written.

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I know, I was just blowing off steam due to the circumstances under which I found myself in need of said part. I have since sourced a part from a local used parts dealer(junk yard). My mirror glass is of the heated type(anti-fog) thus being more expensive.

Dealer = $244.84 + tax (8.25% Texas) = $265 Just the glass portion of mirror.

Junk Yard = $150.00 after tax (had to haggle a little). For the whole mirror assy.

I found the person who hit my car, he openly admitted he did it and said it would be no problem replacing the mirror. Just wait 'til I show him the quote from the dealership. He probably thought as I did, that it would be no big deal. How wrong we were. I remember spending $65 + shipping (2Day), for my F150, for a pair of mirrors: complete set.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
I knocked the door mirror off my Mazda RX-7 a couple of time and it was more than that. 8.25% sales tax in Texas is outrageous. We don't pay any state taxes at all. In fact the state sends us a check every year that's derived from investing oil company royalties. The investment fund has grown to over $40 billion and the size of the checks is growing rapidly. It's headed toward multiple thousands for every resident, man, woman, and child as well as funding state government in conjunction with current royalties.

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S.O.B.

Talk about having a run of bad luck. Just the other day, my mirror. And now my left side front end. Headlight, fender, side marker, and of course bumper. Were all severely scuffed over the weekend. I really need to stop curb-side parking.

What do you guys think of the "Shogun" front bumper? The "Shogun" fenders? As replacement parts

http://www.directbodykits.com/merchant/mainpage2.htm

Look through fiberglass and cadillac to see pics. It's the Erebuni Corp. kit.

I might hold out until D3 finally releases their products! It's just sad to see the CTS in it's current state =-(.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
:tisk:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
ugh dont go there...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was reading through the previous posts. And as it seems to be no end to the prototype phase(not in production) for D3, also as the cost appears that when complete will be up there.

Hello,
Thank you all for your feedback. We would like to clear a few things up. This exterior package has been a long time in the works. Unfortunately we have been extremely busy with other applications here at our facility. We also have been monitoring the forums to ensure that demand for the product is sustained. Over the past year we have been working on the Cadillac dealership network and have been able to recently justify production. If we did not take that approach the exterior package might of have not seen production.

The price will certainly be under $5K.
The front fascia will be made of OE material (poly urethane). All other components will be vacuum formed to ensure perfect panels and fitment. We are currently developing all of these components on a CTS-V. As mentioned in the title we are releasing these products in the next 4-6 weeks. The website will be updated at that time.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,
Under $5K, could mean $4999.99

So in lieu of any other means, I will proceed to do a V front end.
I have sourced the parts. V bumper(fascia), extensions, grille(upper/lower), just ordered WW clears(fogs&sides:tinted), will order TopPSI HID's(2 sets) when I return from vacationing. Got a hold of my mirror glass finally. With all this ^^, I should also stay "under $5K".

Hey FlyFlip420, what SS(rockers) are those you have? Got anything done to rear bumper(apron)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts