Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a pair of xentec HIDs for my lows a few weeks ago and could not figure out why my RH put out sooo much more light than my LH.

I cleaned the projector lense of the one that seemed like it wasn't putting out as much light and it helped a little but still wasn't 100 percent pleased.

Now that i look at it... the projector shroud in my LH is completely different from that of my RH!!! The one that is not putting out as much light (my LH) is maroon in color when looking at it from the dust cap side. When i searched for cts shrouds online, this is what they looked like. Now on the other side (my RH) , the one that puts out like 100000 times better light, is a silver color when looking at it from the dust cap side.

I was in an accident a lil over a year ago and my RH was replaced by the body shop. My question is... has anyone ever seen these or has these??? and where can i get them? are they from a newer cts like an 06-07 (mine is an 04)? The body shop would have replaced the whole headlight and not just the shroud so im guessing they exist somewhere.

Here are some pics below... notice the differences...

MY LEFT HEADLIGHT (THE ONE THAT DOESNT LIGHT CRAP)

MY RIGHT HEADLIGHT (THIS ONE THATS 10000x BETTER)

One is purple the other is silver.
The crappy lense has weird looking lines on them when looking at them from the front of the car.
The other doesnt have these lines.
The crappy one looks a lil foggy (but its really not)
And the other is CRYSTAL clear.
Also, the good one, if u look at it from the front, u can see a metal piece behind the lense that sits in the middle of it horizontally. (u can see a line if u look close)
The crappy lense doesnt have that.

Anybody have any ideas? I hope i didnt confuse anyone with my descriptions. Please helppp!!!

PS. PICTURES WERE TAKEN WITH THE HEADLIGHTS OFF AND THE CAMERA FLASH ON!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
From the front view, one says HB4A, what does the other one say? You should return to the body shop and tell them that they installed a non matching light Assembly. I'm sure Cadi make a few different assemblies, one for halogen, one for HID, probably another for the euro exports and Asia exports etc. I think you got apples and oranges.

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From the front view, one says HB4A, what does the other one say? You should return to the body shop and tell them that they installed a non matching light Assembly. I'm sure Cadi make a few different assemblies, one for halogen, one for HID, probably another for the euro exports and Asia exports etc. I think you got apples and oranges.
The other says HB4A as well. I've looked up both the halogen and hid shrouds and the only difference i can see is the hid shrouds have a square bracket attached to which hold the ballast i would assume. The color and everything else looks identical. If you look at the pics i took from the dust caps... u can also see the tabs where the shrouds connects to the headlight assembly are also different (not the actual holes for the torque screws but in the spaces in between them) and nowhere can i find shrouds that look like this online! The edges are completely different. Im just lost.

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if anybody can find these shrouds, this could possible start a new trend here in the forums. I would assume that everybody on here has the purple looking ones and let me tell you, they are GARBAGE compared to the other one. Completely takes away from the "hid experience." The silver ones light up the road more like my clear fogs also HIDs but without pointing sky high blinding oncoming traffic. Just a thought...

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I think the portion of the light that points sky high were call "sign spotter" and help see street signs at night. But when they offered HIDs, they stopped the "sign spotter" prism because it was so much brighter and blinds oncomming traffic and it's an annoyance to the person in front of you when you are at a redlight.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
I wish that I had read this earlier. Because I just had my 06 with HID lights off. Swapping the bulbs around to see which was is the 90% working one. Only happens with it rains heavy, so I am just testing to see if it's the ballast, GM. Or my aftermarket bulb.

Anyways, I don't recall the projector housing that red if at all. I do know that there is a horizontal piece of metal inside, which gives the light beam a horizon look to it. And makes HIDs legal on the road. :)

I do have a question, how about getting the part numbers off of each headlight assembly. Then take the numbers down to your caddy dealer. Ask them to get the part numbers for your model year, compare. Then ask for 06 to 07, that is if they are different. They should be able to tell what years they cover. I am sure though, they have two different numbers for each side. Because of hid and non hid. The hid units came with a washer to wash off debris while the non did not.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish that I had read this earlier. Because I just had my 06 with HID lights off. Swapping the bulbs around to see which was is the 90% working one. Only happens with it rains heavy, so I am just testing to see if it's the ballast, GM. Or my aftermarket bulb.

Anyways, I don't recall the projector housing that red if at all. I do know that there is a horizontal piece of metal inside, which gives the light beam a horizon look to it. And makes HIDs legal on the road. :)

I do have a question, how about getting the part numbers off of each headlight assembly. Then take the numbers down to your caddy dealer. Ask them to get the part numbers for your model year, compare. Then ask for 06 to 07, that is if they are different. They should be able to tell what years they cover. I am sure though, they have two different numbers for each side. Because of hid and non hid. The hid units came with a washer to wash off debris while the non did not.

KOT

Im either going to do that or goto the body shop that fixed my car after my accident and see where they ordered it from or both.

The metal piece you are talking about, correct me if im wrong, stands VERTICAL from the bottom of the housing standing up to about midway through the assembly. You probably meant where the piece is cut (top) runs horizontally. Both of my projectors have one of these although they are somewhat different in texture. BUT my silver (good) projector, if looking at it from the outside of the car standing in front, has a metal piece running horizontally. By horizontally i mean flat, like a credit card laying on a table. the one u mentioned above stand vertical, like if u were to stand a card up on table holding it with your fingers.

If you look at my pics above, u can see the metal piece you are talking about in both projectors. the pictures i took from the dust cap side...

but then look at the other pics from the front, u see in my good one a horizontal line, the metal piece I am referring to that sits horizontal, and then the bad projector doesnt have one

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok check this out... anybody every bought one of these? These are "replacement" headlights for our cars that are not made by GM im guessing. Their less than half the price of the headlights you would buy on gmpartsdirect. I wouldn't doubt that this is where my body shop could have purchase my RH. and for that price i might have to buy a whole new LH so they could match. and they light up the road sooo much better. Maybe???

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ontent=BYY&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
ok check this out... anybody every bought one of these? These are "replacement" headlights for our cars that are not made by GM im guessing. Their less than half the price of the headlights you would buy on gmpartsdirect. I wouldn't doubt that this is where my body shop could have purchase my RH. and for that price i might have to buy a whole new LH so they could match. and they light up the road sooo much better. Maybe???

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ontent=BYY&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

One thing that I noticed about those. Are the fact that they don't have the washer, like mine do. But I doubt that you had them in the first place. The other thing that I noticed is the fact that there is no adjustment for height of the beam...

So what I am getting to, the one that the autobody repair shop replaced. Does that have screw to level it, as the factory one does?

An other thing that I just thought about. The one that the autobody replaced, does it have a DOT number on it? If not you can always go down there and incist that they provide you with the correct one. Other wize legal action will be taking. Because if it doesn't have a DOT number, then it's not legal...

Though if you feel like it, and you feel like the above maybe the one that they ordered. Then go right ahead and order it so hopefully they will match. Personally I will try to find as much information about the autobody shop's light assembly before I try to "find" a matching one for the other side. Just the sheer reason of the just in case it doesn't match either.

Or better yet.......

Left light assembly

Right side light assembly

Yes, the total prices are a bit more than the one that you are looking at above... But at least you know that they will match.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing that I noticed about those. Are the fact that they don't have the washer, like mine do. But I doubt that you had them in the first place. The other thing that I noticed is the fact that there is no adjustment for height of the beam...

So what I am getting to, the one that the autobody repair shop replaced. Does that have screw to level it, as the factory one does?

An other thing that I just thought about. The one that the autobody replaced, does it have a DOT number on it? If not you can always go down there and incist that they provide you with the correct one. Other wize legal action will be taking. Because if it doesn't have a DOT number, then it's not legal...

Though if you feel like it, and you feel like the above maybe the one that they ordered. Then go right ahead and order it so hopefully they will match. Personally I will try to find as much information about the autobody shop's light assembly before I try to "find" a matching one for the other side. Just the sheer reason of the just in case it doesn't match either.

Or better yet.......

Left light assembly

Right side light assembly

Yes, the total prices are a bit more than the one that you are looking at above... But at least you know that they will match.

KOT
definately not buying anything until i am SURE that they are matching. Yes, the one they replaced does have the aiming screw. Not sure if it has a DOT number on it but i would assume that it does since this body shop is pretty reputable in my area. Im going to stop by there tomorrow morning and see if they have record. Assuming they do have paperwork and they match up the part number they ordered with that of the light on my car, do you think THEY would replace the other one since they didnt buy a matching part? even being a year later? that would be sweetttt. And thanks for all your input dude. appriciate it :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts