Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Have you had an ATS with a leaky differential?

• YES

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • NO

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 3.6 ATS and been my daily driver since then. My rear diff had to be replaced last year for some whiny noise that didnt bother me much since I always listen to music any how what bothers me that my new diff that I paid for out of warranty is now leaking only after like 10k (km).
Im not replacing the diff or any parts of it with an ATS parts because it seems that ATS's diff is always faulty and its the most common real issue in our ATS not the crappy CUE screens .
GM should be able to make a diff that does not leak after 10k (km) and should also make a recall for this issue
I dont know why I was optimetict that GM figured this issue out and the new parts are supposed to be faulty free but it appears to be the same ****
My plan now is to keep an eye on it and since its a small leak and I will top the diff oil every 6 months or so

Why this issue is yet not resolved by GM?
Should we take legal action?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,386 Posts
I have a 2013 3.6 ATS and been my daily driver since then. My rear diff had to be replaced last year for some whiny noise that didnt bother me much since I always listen to music any how what bothers me that my new diff that I paid for out of warranty is now leaking only after like 10k (km).
Im not replacing the diff or any parts of it with an ATS parts because it seems that ATS's diff is always faulty and its the most common real issue in our ATS not the crappy CUE screens .
GM should be able to make a diff that does not leak after 10k (km) and should also make a recall for this issue
I dont know why I was optimetict that GM figured this issue out and the new parts are supposed to be faulty free but it appears to be the same ****
My plan now is to keep an eye on it and since its a small leak and I will top the diff oil every 6 months or so

Why this issue is yet not resolved by GM?
Should we take legal action?
You need to read more posts here on this forum.

The prime suspect on this whole diff problem is the vent. It is suspected of not allowing the internal air pressure inside the diff to properly release or "vent" to the atmosphere causing that pressure to push fluid past the axle seals. It is a twelve dollar part. While it is strongly suspected to be the core problem, I'm aware of no one who has presented damning, irrefutable evidence to finally convict the vent in this affair.

"IF" the vent is the problem, it makes it simple for the 2% or less of us who venture under our cars occasionally to inspect our diffs and either clean the vent so it functions properly or replace it entirely. The problem is for the 98+% of owners who have no desire whatsoever to jack their cars up and crawl under them. They're the victims.

Again, "IF" the vent is the problem, the question is why such a simple, stupid, basic component was allowed to cause such grief for so many people? Who knows. Nearly every car ever made has "an ATS diff vent" (figuratively speaking) that limits its longevity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts