Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following thread was locked...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53918

why? Are you going to lock EVERY thread that has been talked about before?

So we can't discuss something that has already beed discused??? If not then no new info will ever come up.

This place has become to governed...some of us supporting members my rethink sending money next time if we can't discuss something/add to a subject that has been previously mentioned.

Not trying to flame...for the most part you guys do a good job but relax and let us post.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
I'd like to replace my stock exhaust in the next 4 months. I want up to date information even if I have to ask again.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
WIll you get some benifit from everyon responding

"the corsa is great!"

I think that was what we are trying to stop by closing that thread.. You are going to geta about 100 people say "I have XXX.. its great!"

Post a question that is not so general if you are looking for information.

If you are looking for updated information. Say "Does anyone know of any new exhausts?"

We DONT need another thread on exhausts if its just going to list the same 4 vendors.

I dont know... I get sick of reading the same stuff over and over again.. I didnt see anything new or relvant in that thread.. why keep it open.. What were you looking for.

Reed

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmm. At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, is the new standard "why should I keep this thread open?" I can't say that makes a lot of sense to me. Seems like the board should have a decent reason for closing a thread other than "I've already discussed this as much as I want to." Who cares if it's repetitive? That's part of operating an automotive board.

Anybody remember the "why did my car beep at me this morning" threads? It's about the right time of year for those to start back up.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
don't want to ask any questions now.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something relevant could have been posted but instead it was locked. Now we have a supporting member, dqw1, that doesn't even want to ask questions...not sure that is good for the forum.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree! The thread in question shouldn't have been locked. Who cares if you read about it a few more times? It is probably new to someone. While search is a nice feature it shouldn't be a requirement to use before someone wants to post anything. If so, lets kill all of the mod posts, tires, rear ends, TSBs, kill stories, etc. I vote to kill the new advertising instead of useful threads.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
If nobody wants to read it, it will dissappear off the main page soon enough. If it still wants to read and talked about, I don't see why not.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
:hmm: what about the boobs, Reed? Urby?

No new news on exhaust that I'm aware of - but if you hear of any - let us know.

Can't say I blame them for the locking of what seems to have been covered in the hot topics sticky link, but to each their own.

I'm still holding out for the boobs though :D

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Ok,
While we are discussing this as mods, everyone go about their normal business.

But I cant believe that someone asking the same question over and over isnt bothering some of you...It bothers me when "good" threads get bumped for crap. I dont think we would close a thread if we thought it would go somewhere, but if we are going to have the EXACT same conversations over again, then I say get rid of them.

Side benifit, if someone new comes and searches, they wont see 20 different threads on the same topic.

Bottom line, for now, go about your normal business and we will try not to close thread (unless they are really dumb or hostile)...

But I would like some of you who are frusterated to speak up too.

Reed

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
Not everyone has been here since the beginning. Locks suck. Especially when you've been locked up. Discussion is better.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Where are the avatars? I miss Evil8 and a few others:devil:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
WAY too many threads are being locked. I would much rather see a delete button for the thread starter than to have to read a thread I can't respond to. Questions will be asked a million times over, get used to it.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Reed,

I have to disagree with you, maybe for the first time ever. It's maybe a bad thing to have search clogged by multiple similar threads, but it feels like a worse thing to have conversations arbitrarily halted. And there's a little mod bias built into the statement, "It bothers me when "good" threads get bumped for crap." That's pretty evaluative and subjective, given that every time it becomes a bumper, it's because somebody else thought it was "good."

My non-Mod $.02.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
I look at this page often but sometimes I don't. I miss plenty of the threads.

:yeah: (yeah it clogs the search a bit to have the repeats)

Locking threads sure is a good way to throw out the UNWELCOME mat for newcomers that are asking good questions and hoping for input from members that have mods. New stuff keeps coming out for our cars and the stuff in the search might be out dated and it's more fun to have a conversation than read some dusty old stuff.

Mods read this everyday and I see where repetition could become tiresome...To someone who reads this site constantly.

I may not have bought the Magnaflow system if it weren't for the large number of threads that I kept reading about it and it helped me get a great price on it. Repetition served me well. Lack of repetition cost me the So Cal Modfest since I was out of town during the posts so I missed the deal :rant2:

Thanks to the Mods for taking the time to watch over this.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ctsvett said:
Ok,
While we are discussing this as mods, everyone go about their normal business.

But I cant believe that someone asking the same question over and over isnt bothering some of you...It bothers me when "good" threads get bumped for crap. I dont think we would close a thread if we thought it would go somewhere, but if we are going to have the EXACT same conversations over again, then I say get rid of them.

Side benifit, if someone new comes and searches, they wont see 20 different threads on the same topic.

Bottom line, for now, go about your normal business and we will try not to close thread (unless they are really dumb or hostile)...

But I would like some of you who are frusterated to speak up too.

Reed
Thanks for your response! Having a new thread on Corsa can generate new info...even if the subject of "Corsa exhaust" has come up many times in the past. I personally have a Corsa exhaust and if I hear a weird sound I may not post about it if I have to dig through the site to find a previous post. Also I may forget about it or something but if someone else post about a weird noise then I can tell them what I did to get rid of it. If you lock all thread that have been previously discussed then no new info will ever come up.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
There have been very few threads that were locked for any of the reasons you guys mentioned. We ususally only lock threads due to hostility.

From now on, most threads will not be locked unless they are cruel, hostile, inappropriate content, etc.

Reed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts